New user with DAP Inquiry
Jul 3, 2017 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Christopher K Hayes

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm looking for advice to get a new DAP since my ipod classic was stolen from my cars glove compartment by the local neighborhood hype. I've been interested in upgrading and moving away from my previous set up so I'll consider that altercation a blessing in disguise.

Anyway, Here is the setup that I would like to invest in currently and I'm looking for advice\ suggestions on whether I should purchase the following.

Fiio X5 3rd gen
Sennheiser Momentum (in-ear)
Sennheiser HD1(Bluetooth)

Background info:
I enjoy multiple genres of music however I spend most of my listening time with:

Hip-Hop\ Rap
Rock
Chicago House
Some Metal

Reasoning for selections:

Fiio X5 3rd gen; I like that I can add two sd cards to the device and should be able to manage a lot of my library through this method of storage

In- ear phones: I work my day job as a call agent and need to have discrete ear phones. Not to mention I sit in public places and listen to music. I am a father of two and need to have a portable set up because the little ones never stop moving.

Honorable mentions:
Onkyo DP-X1 Digital Audio Player : higher price
Pioneer XDP-100R

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 6
You need to add the Audio Opus #1 in the honourable mentions

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Hello all,

I'm looking for advice to get a new DAP since my ipod classic was stolen from my cars glove compartment by the local neighborhood hype. I've been interested in upgrading and moving away from my previous set up so I'll consider that altercation a blessing in disguise.

Anyway, Here is the setup that I would like to invest in currently and I'm looking for advice\ suggestions on whether I should purchase the following.

Fiio X5 3rd gen
Sennheiser Momentum (in-ear)
Sennheiser HD1(Bluetooth)

Background info:
I enjoy multiple genres of music however I spend most of my listening time with:

Hip-Hop\ Rap
Rock
Chicago House
Some Metal

Reasoning for selections:

Fiio X5 3rd gen; I like that I can add two sd cards to the device and should be able to manage a lot of my library through this method of storage

In- ear phones: I work my day job as a call agent and need to have discrete ear phones. Not to mention I sit in public places and listen to music. I am a father of two and need to have a portable set up because the little ones never stop moving.

Honorable mentions:
Onkyo DP-X1 Digital Audio Player : higher price
Pioneer XDP-100R

Just remember one thing: when the first of these, the X3, was designed, it was based on one overwhelming customer feedback about one thing they wanted, which is that it not run in any way that is similar to iTunes. You can end up bald going from an iPod to any of these unless you've been running Rockbox, the same way I went from Rockbox back to iTunes and I wanted to tear my hair out.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you both for your replies. The Opus looks promising. I may reconsider my options. In regards to iTunes, I'm not a huge fan of the interface anyway (go figure). I'm a tech enthusiast through and through. I had a friend running rockbox
own the xdp-100r. Also have dual slot and with its current price ($299) at amazon, it is definitely a steal.
own the xdp-100r. Also have dual slot and with its current price ($299) at amazon, it is definitely a steal.
Thanks a lot Ahmadfaizadnan,

I saw that player on sale but the battery life concerns me. Can you give a rough estimate of how long a single charge last you?

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 6
I saw that player on sale but the battery life concerns me. Can you give a rough estimate of how long a single charge last you?

I usually play it offline that could last around 6 to 7 hours in single charge but it only last at max around 3 hours online. I agree that the battery life is pretty bad but I usually have charge it after 3 hours of usage so it doesn't really bothers me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back