New tweak...NOS Q-Tips?
Feb 3, 2003 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

antness

Member of the Trade: HeadAmp
Check out these things called "ear candles" on this page.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1277

Claims to improve hearing! Might want to try this..
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 22
Yes, those ear candles really work. I can't say that they will improve your hearing noticably, but they sure will clean them of all wax. A few things you should be careful about: They make a mess, make sure to do it over a paper plate. Never do it if you are somewhat sick. The wax in your ear is like a safety mechanism, like the hairs in your nose. When you remove all the wax, you are very susceptable to illness, and what ever else you may think of from this "cleansing". The way it works is the coolest. You need 2 people, one to clean, and one to do the cleaning. One holds the candle about 1/2-1 inch from the ear, and you light the other end. the fire makes a vacuum, which pulls the wax out of your ear. At te end you can see all the wax that comes out of your ear. (yeah, pretty gross)

Feb 3, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 22
Please do some research? Ear candles DO NOT WORK and can be dangerous. They’ve been discussed on other forums. The wax you see come out comes from the candle not your ear. Probably have to get pretty hot inside the ear to melt and suck the wax out.

Feb 3, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 22
I think this is really something that is "an old wives tail", no way you would get me to try that!

Feb 3, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 22
Yeah it sounds like a pretty hairbrained idea... not that I would prevent anyone from trying it for my edification and.... uhhh.... general amusement.

tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2003 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by dokebi
Wonder what would happen if you stuck it in your nose.
eek.gif

Clean out your sinuses???
eek.gif
eek.gif

Feb 4, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
Please do some research? Ear candles DO NOT WORK and can be dangerous. They’ve been discussed on other forums. The wax you see come out comes from the candle not your ear. Probably have to get pretty hot inside the ear to melt and suck the wax out.

one user just gave a positive review and you say it's untrue? have you tried it? oh no, you read it on a forum.. it MUST be true then.

i believe this procedure is a known fact. some years ago, i saw television show where a person did this same basic idea, only they rolled up a napkin and stuck it in the ear then lit the tip on fire. i have no idea of the physics of it, but i since i saw that television program i've always been interested..

of course, i'll probably stick to my q-tips and 90% isopropyl.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 22
Thanks grinch. Brailledriver, you must be one of those people who talk about the sound of headphones you never even heard. Uh,...You do some research chump. Where did you read about it, on other audio websites? Yeah I bet those folk are really into homeopathic remedies.

Feb 4, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 22
LOL!

Jesus Christ, whatever happened to common sense. Is it a lost art altogether?

Oh, stick some up your ass while you're at it, and post a review.

rolleyes.gif

Feb 4, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

of course, i'll probably stick to my q-tips and 90% isopropyl.
smily_headphones1.gif

Be careful with q-tips. I have read articles where their use has resulted in the tiny hair of the ear being pulled out. These hairs then do not regrow and your hearing suffers.

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/901225561.html

Feb 5, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Be careful with q-tips. I have read articles where their use has resulted in the tiny hair of the ear being pulled out. These hairs then do not regrow and your hearing suffers.

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/901225561.html

thanks, but i never tend to listen to anybody when they live in places like wisconsin.
wink.gif

actually, i don't do it daily and the isopropyl helps to extract the wax fairly easily. i could understand using a bobby pin or something (as mentioned in that article) could cause problems. my mother used this method on me all while growing up and i have never once had an ear infection. most people i know have had them, but i've never had a single one in 21 (almost 22, egad) years. that's enough assurance to me, plus i can hear the damn tubes in tv's when they're muted.. however, thanks for the concern.
smily_headphones1.gif

beagle: you're an ass.

antness and johnny proton: i'm definitely interested in your results. please post them when you're ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back