New Tube Headphone Amp On The Way + Questions
Oct 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FourPlay

New Head-Fier
After much reading here and online, I have decided that the Little Dot MK III will be my first adventure into tubes. I am excited and cannot wait for its arrival. I am still in need of recommendations for a good pair of headphones, and I am hoping you good people of Head-Fi can assist me. I have a couple in mind but I am open to all recommendations.

AKG Q701
The more I read about these, the more they have piqued my interest. The Q701 have better bass than the K702, but what blows my mind is they are cheaper.

Sennheiser HD600
These headphones are getting great reviews from how comfortable they are to their quality of sound. Even the HD598 are appealing to me with the little touch of burl wood.

I am not sure where these two would fall under sensitivity. I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me to understand the differences.

Another area I will be needing assistance with is tube rolling. I will start by using the tubes that come with the amp. I am interested in what tubes you are using and which ones you recommend to stay away from. I understand the tubes used in the MK III are from the E95 family, and this is the extent of my knowledge on tubes.

Any help you can give me will be very much appreciated!

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 8
Try a BeyerDyanmic DT 880 600 ohm, it has a sound simmilar in ways to the AKG headphone, but with better comfort. That and the Build on the Beyers is top notch!

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for your recommendation. I have considered either the DT880 or DT990 but not the 600 ohm. What's the difference between the 250 ohm and 600 ohm besides more ohms?

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 8
  Thank you for your recommendation. I have considered either the DT880 or DT990 but not the 600 ohm. What's the difference between the 250 ohm and 600 ohm besides more ohms?

A higher Ohm Rating will work nicer with a OTL Tube amp, give you a more "black" back ground, other than that Price. An honestly if price is a concern get the Pro 250 Ohm verision as sonically there's little to no differance 

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 8
  A higher Ohm Rating will work nicer with a OTL Tube amp, give you a more "black" back ground, other than that Price. An honestly if price is a concern get the Pro 250 Ohm verision as sonically there's little to no differance 

Would you please elaborate on the ohm rating and how it effects the quality of sound and sensitivity to the headphones?

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 8

Would you please elaborate on the ohm rating and how it effects the quality of sound and sensitivity to the headphones?

Ohm resist Voltage,

Tube amps output a lot of Voltage, there for a higher rated Ohm Dynamic Headphone will most often have a blacker back ground out of a tube then a lower one.

Tubes are noisy, at least the cheaper ones are, so a 600 ohm headphone will for example naturally dampen that noise

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 8
So, it goes without saying that the higher the ohms will produce the best sound quality.

When speaking in terms of a headphone sensitivity, are the higher ohms considered to be low or high sensitivity?

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 8
  So, it goes without saying that the higher the ohms will produce the best sound quality.

When speaking in terms of a headphone sensitivity, are the higher ohms considered to be low or high sensitivity?

High Ohms are not "low" or "high" sensitivity, the sensitivity depends on the headphone, but as a general rule they do require more Voltage to get to louder volumes.

But no, the Higher ohm is not the "best" sound quality, nor is it the better. It's simply better suited for a Tube. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back