new to the DAC scene
May 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #16 of 18
I'm also looking for a DAC/Amp atm and I can't realy decide which one to chose either...

Currently I'm considering the Dr, DAC2 DX by Audiotrak and the Matrix Mini-i but I'm not sure yet which one would be the best for my situation.
I also listen to music on my pc and as headphone I've got the Ultrasone HFI-780, so if there is any1 that has experience with both these DAC/Amps please give me some advice. Would appreciate it alot.

All in all, the above two DAC/Amps are defenitely worth considering aswell, read quite a few reviews on them and most of them were positive.

May 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #18 of 18
Well budget isnt rly an issue for me, as long as it stays under $500... but ye, I believe these 2 are the top best..
I did consider the Zero DAC aswell but I've been told that the Zero DAC has become a thing of the past and isnt rly able to compete with newer DAC/Amps nowadays.

The thing is that I want to use the DAC for my monitor speakers and woofer and therefore I need one that has an analog line in and an analog line out aswell (yes, the mini-i is indeed useless for me because it doesnt support an analog output... just noticed that)
This is why the Dr. DAC2 DX is on top of my list right now, but I'm still not sure if it will suit my needs... I only know that it gives a rather neutral sound and that it is considered to be quite an amazing DAC/Amp ofcourse :p

Also, I'm quite a basshead (which is why I chose the HFI-780 in the first place) so I wouldn't want the headphone amp to cause a decrease on the already quite amazing bass response that the 780 offers. (But I dont know if this will be the case with the DAC2 DX ofcourse)

So if any of you could give me some advice on this, wether its about the DAC2 DX being good for my situation or not, or if its about another DAC/Amp that you would recommend me, I would appreciate that alot.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I've been told by Mike from Headfonia.com that the Mini-i would suite my situation better because of its slight boost on the lower end, but because of its limited output options (no analog out) I have to let go of the mini-i unfortunately...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back