New to high quality audio, and do not want to waste my money.
Nov 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Smithydh

New Head-Fier
After browsing around all day and looking at recommendations and impression threads of high quality IEMs I just can't make my mind up about which IEM would be the best for my musical tastes and with a price range of $200-$300 I am not looking on blowing my money on something I'll be disappointed with (or that will break easily, I'm in New Zealand so don't want to have to ship things around a lot if they break easily).
If anyone wants to help me I have the following musical tastes (in no particular order):

• Indie
  • Classical
  • Soft rock
  • Trance
  • other Electronic genres.

Currently I'm thinking the Aurisonics ASG-1s look good but not 100% sure.
Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 13
I really like IEM's.  Because my family won't let me listen to my main system whenever I want I needed to find an alternative.  The STAX bleed a lot (other people can hear them when I am playing them) and the umbilical cord is heavy.  I have had lots of IEM's: Etymotic 6's, 4P's, Klipsch 4s, TF-10's etc.  From personal experience custom IEM (CIEM) are really the only way to go.  As you use IEM's more and more, if they become an important way for you to listen also, then you, after trial and error, may come to the same conclusion.  If you do not want to waste money from the outset then you might want to consider doing it right from the start.  Spend a little more and get something from a company with a good track record, custom built for you.  The main advantage to me of the CIEM is comfort and isolation.  Selection of the particular CIEM model should be based on your taste in sound. 

Happy listening.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 13
I really like IEM's.  Because my family won't let me listen to my main system whenever I want I needed to find an...

Hey thanks for your reply pspivak! Customs seem to be very pricey and as a student I just don't think I have the money to invest in them sadly. I am even considering shelling out a lot just to get the Heir 4.Ai because of it being so highly reviewed on here but the cost is just so much and I'm not sure it's worth it when I am only just starting looking into high quality audio products and a friend of mine is convinced that the differences between these high cost earphones and $200 earphones are all a placebo but I do not agree with him so it's very hard to decide.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 13
Save yourself and your wallet the pain and suffering of upgrading, and just buy something great now.

I'd say the 1964 Ears V3 would fit your tastes well. $425 for a great 'budget' CIEM that will give you a warm, organic sound.

EDIT: didn't see that you're in New Zealand, my bad. Probably don't want to order customs from an American company then...

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 13
The RE272 are currently on sale at head-direct and real bargain for the price because they sound amazing and spacial. Other IEMs like HF5, Sony EX1000, GR07 are great buy for the price and they match well for these genres music.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 13
The RE272 are currently on sale at head-direct and real bargain for the price because they sound amazing and spacial. Other IEMs like HF5, Sony EX1000, GR07 are great buy for the price and they match well for these genres music.

Thanks for the link! Very interested in buying the RE272 though most reviews say it's lacking in terms of bass which may be important for my taste in electronic music (note: not dubstep). Anything at a similar price and similar sound but with more bass?

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 13
I was going to suggest Westone 3 from Earphone Solutions as they have 30% off, but you've already purchased the JVC...
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Haha thanks for trying to help anyway! Anyway I still quickly looked up the Westone 3 and they seem to be rated less than the JVCs so I'm still content with my purchase.

"Rating" is relative mate 
bigsmile_face.gif
 but anyway I'm not going to say anything more, enjoy your JVC as I know that is also a very good IEM 
beyersmile.png

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #12 of 13
The JVC FX700 are fantastic with real instruments music because it has JVC house warm wood signature and it bass goes much deeper than many BA IEMs and reverb. But i think it may not sound amazing for electronic genres music as Sony EX1000, RE272( because internal spacial, it offers good bass response to serve all genres music well and more than ER4P and many other BA IEMs).

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 13
Thank you very much! After looking into the JVC HA-FX700 I decided they seemed perfect for me and have now placed my order! Thanks to you and the rest of the headfi community for helping me out!

Nice! Glad I could be of help. Make sure to post some impressions if you like them. I have not heard the JVC myself but I've heard great things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back