New to High-End Earphones & Need Advice on HiFiMan-HE-6 Headphones
Jan 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bobnfrances

New Head-Fier
Hi
I'm new to high-end headphones (over the ear).  I just moved and can't use my loudspeakers any longer.   I need any help and advice on the Hifiman HE-6.

i live in Huntington Beach (zip 92646) and was wondering if there are any retailers that have this model in stock for demonstrations.  

I have old, but powerful 1980's Yamaha M-2 (500 watts) amp, Yamaha C-2a pre amp, Technics SL-10 turntable, and a Sony CDP-650ESD CD player.  

I don't know what an impedance adapter does or how it's needed in order to use my current Yamaha equipment.   Also, I don't know what wattage is going to be needed with this headphone.  Will the headphone retain it's excellent sound quality if I use my current Yamaha equipment, or do I really need to spend more money for newer equipment?   I don't want to spend money just for the sake of it!

I would also appreciate any suggestions on whether there is any significant sound difference between my Sony CD player & the newer super audio players.

I want the best sound quality possible.

As you can tell by my questions I don't have any tech knowledge, but my hearing is very sensitive & sound quality is very important to me.  That's why I don't mind spending more money to get excellent acoustics w/o compromises or mods needed.

Thanks,
Bob

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 7
A quick search on HiFiMAN's website shows a dealer in Torrance. 
http://www.lamusicservices.com/

Since you're looking into Planar Magnetics you'll probably also want to visit an AUDEZ'E dealer as well. These guys are in LA.
http://audiohigh.com/

I can't help with the rest so I wish you luck.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for your suggestions, they are appreciated.  

I contacted HiFiMAN in Torrance, CA & they said they don't stock any demo HE-6's & only sell them new out of the box & they are back ordered.   I don't want to purchase any headphones unless I can at least listen to them first.

Is there anyone in Orange County or L.A. that has a pair of HE-6's that I could listen to?   

I'm also considering going to S.F. for the convention, but I'm sure if I'll be able to make it.

I'm still not sure about using any of my old Yamaha amp or pre amp.

Thanks Again,
Bob

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Just a thought. I don't own a pair of HE-6's but from what I have heard they are very difficult to drive properly. Even if they're loud enough they may not sound right without a truly excellent amp. I have had a couple of ~$1000 Yamaha receivers in the past and their headphone out isn't great compared to even my modest $200 Creek OBH-11 and my headphones sound pretty dull on that. I imagine you could just wire the headphones right to the speaker terminals... Why are you looking at the HE-6's specifically? Is it something in the reported sound signature? Is it something you heard about them that you liked?

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 7
There are many HE-6 rigs in the greater LA area. Go over to the So. Cal meets threads to see where and when they are getting together. You may find a sharing soul willing to entertain you for a private listen.

500 watts is massive but you could do one of two things. Either put resistors (HE-6 speaker amp adapter) in circuit to burn like 90% of that off as heat or be very, very careful with that volume control and give em a listen off the speaker taps.Problem is with so much power, even a push button pop can have devastating consequences on the thin gold traces. I have read of guys putting them on such a beast. Haven't heard from them in a while so don't know what that says :wink:. You might consider a side amp for the 6. IMO, they need about 15 watts @ 50ohms for standard speaker amps or less with high current amps like the First Watt F1 @ 10w.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure what you meant by the So. Cal. meets.  This is all new to me, since I can't use the loudspeakers any more.  I'm not tech savvy when it comes to this stuff.  Please have patience.  Would it be better for me to purchase the HiFiMAN headphone amplifier, instead of taking any chance of ruining the headphones?  Is there any place or person that I can contact to listen to HE-6 headphones that you know of personally?
Thanks Again,
Bob

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure what you meant by the So. Cal. meets.  This is all new to me, since I can't use the loudspeakers any more.  I'm not tech savvy when it comes to this stuff.  Please have patience.  Would it be better for me to purchase the HiFiMAN headphone amplifier, instead of taking any chance of ruining the headphones?  Is there any place or person that I can contact to listen to HE-6 headphones that you know of personally?
Thanks Again,
Bob
http://www.head-fi.org/t/644426/sf-bay-area-meet-on-sunday-february-17-2013-the-one-which-is-really-going-to-happen

Checking this forum will tell you when a Southern California local meet interest thread starts. Another option is to go into the HE-6 threads to see who may be in the area. I do not know of someone out your way to direct you to, sorry.

The EF-6 has been considered the minimum for the 6. Again, with careful use of the volume control and connecting the 6s to your xlr connector, you can protect them. Just do any source selections and power up and down with the volume down and disconnect them. I'm using a 125w pair of monoblocks, preproman was using a 200w pair with no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back