New to hifi help. Paw Gold 2017 + LE LX vs IER-Z1R & NW-WM1A?
Sep 4, 2021 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lowtwo

100+ Head-Fier
I just got into high end audio stuff. I bought a 2017 paw gold because I thought it looked cool (reminded me of my old diamond rio) + it seems to get great reviews. Also got a mest mkii to go with it. but when I received the mest it felt pretty underwhelming. it was very clear but not what i was hoping for in the power department. i felt like it never hit hard enough..kind of flat. so i got the legend x's and they're just slightly too much bass and not as clear. The LX's are almost perfect, if there was a 1-10 bass scale. I'd say they're at an 8 and I just want down to a 6 and the clarity (if that's even the right term) is at a 3 and I'd like it at a 5.

it sounds like the ier z1r is where I want to be but wanted to ask this community for input. this is starting to get expensive lol so I'm looking for guidance...I just made an account here today.

people are saying the z1r + wm1a is a great combo. but would the 2017 paw gold work fine? I really like its old school vibe but the battery life isn't great. Someone posted on here how it doesn't have a balance out but they didn't think it was necessary. I know that sony player has one. My EE's have a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter for the PG2017.

I've been obsessed with music since I was a kid. I'm really enjoying rediscovering everything again. Almost all of my favorite songs are new again.

Also I bought a 3m peltor ear muff so I could really get some noise cancellation.

In a nutshell my mests felt like a bunch of high end clock radio speakers floating around my head. and the legend x feels like the bass is just turned up too high. like im listening to 1 6x9 with two 12" subwoofers.

with my PG2017 the Rock equalizer gives me almost enough clarity but in some of the songs it still feels like im just ever so slightly missing out on the finer details.

I had an accord with four 6x9 rockford fosgates dynamatted and it sounded so great. extremely clear, and the bass would rattle my mirrors. it was such a great set up.

I feel that I've come close with the legend x. Even considering the shure 846. or Maybe even the odins. but i'm pretty sure the sony z1r is what im after.

I listen to everything from celine dion to shpongle to pantera.

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 4
or am I better off getting just some attachment for my smart phone? I'm just using iems. I read that the wm1a doesn't put out much power. I'm pretty sure the LG2017 puts out good power but do I need that for iems? I won't be using magnetic headphones.

at this point im considering returning everything and just getting a amp dongle for my phone and the z1rs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 6.52.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 6.52.05 AM.png
    546.1 KB · Views: 0
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 4
well I guess I'm on my own. I'll just type my thoughts here. :ksc75smile:

The plan is to order those sony z1rs and possibly that wm1a tomorrow evening. No need to place the order this evening since there's a holiday tomorrow and no one will be shipping til Tuesday anyway.

I'll see if I can hear a difference between the headphones and players. I'd honestly like to move to the sony because I want to believe 4.4 balanced is superior. Something tells me I'll be sticking with the LPG and Z1RS. But maybe I need to order one of those headphone amps as well. This one caught my eye but there's so much more research to do and so many opinions to sift through.

I just want a killer rig so I can jam. If the Z1RS don't do something for me im probably going to exit this hobby and write it off as a meme. If I can't get a solid performing music player + headphones for ~$3500 then there's no reason to keep throwing money at it. I've still got got watches, bikes and photography equipment to finance.

thanks for reading my blog.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 10.26.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 10.26.41 AM.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 10, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 4
got my z1rs yesterday. they remind me of the mest but more power. the LXs are still nice but they're muddy and confined compared the the z1rs. the sonys have music dancing around my head and it's a really fascinating experience. I kept the sonys in for 3 hours last night and no discomfort. Also the spinfit 360s are my favorite tips. I've tried about 8 different kinds.

the lotoo gold 2017 seems kind of harsh with the trebel unless i put the equalizer to techno and then it sounds really good. but the battery life is trash and the ui is beyond annoying. I put over 2k songs on it and some tracks I just wanted to hear it once and delete. but when I delete songs, half the time it has to "update the database" which, with over 2k songs usually takes about a minute every time I delete something. I'd be willing to bet in the past 2 weeks I've spent an entire hour of my listening time "updating the database" that is why I ordered a WM1A.

my wm1a is coming today and ill test the sonys and legend x's out on each device and then decide which to keep. ill be glad to check out the balanced option. im already convinced im keeping both sony's. unless something odd happens that's what i'll do.

this post is to mainly help anyone else in my situation. you can afford some expensive headphones so you want to check out the higher end stuff. Just go with the sony setup. unless you want to buy a bunch of different sets of iems and have a pair for each genre of music. Sony does a good job and it's a company that will still be here 10 years down the road.

I just wanted a badass music player for all things: traveling, relaxing and working out. I finally found it.

I've also decided that this board is a giant waste of time. It's only natural for people to hype up whatever expensive thing they bought to justify its price. But by all means enjoy your hobbies. I'm going back to watches, bikes and photography.

goodbye

Users who are viewing this thread

Back