New to Head-Fi. Looking for advice.
Jan 10, 2008 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tf1216

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

First time poster here. I have been lurking for a while and I have to say this site amazing. I am coming from the home audio world and I have made the rounds on lots of other forums.

I purchased a set of Yamaha YH-2 to use while at work on my laptop. I am currently plugged into a Sound Blaster Audigy NX that I may replace with an EMU 0404. I would like to find an amp to use with this combo.

My goal is to stay under $300 and keep the longest dimension of the amp under 12 inches. I read a lot about Darkvoice, Woo Audio, Litte Dot, HeadAmp, and etc. Anyone have experience with Yamaha headphones and what works well with them? Any opinions or suggestions?

Thank you!

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 14
You would get much more improvement in sound quality by upgrading your headphone with your $300 budget. Look into the Sennheiser HD595 to begin with. Check out the headphone subforum for more info.

Oh, and welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 14
For <$300 budget headphones would be a good place to get upgraded first. senn hd595 is good and I also recommend hd590, both hd595 and hd590 are easy to drive and they are close to each other in sound quanlity, while I personally like the more comfortable hd590, which is probably one of the most comfortable cans.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 14
$300 isn't a bad budget, but it all depends on what you're looking to get out of your listening experience as to what direction you take it.

The sub $300 amp options are mostly portable, but there are options in home amps too, if you talk to some of the small producers. I like the Mini^3, the Millett Max, the AMB M^3, and the Gilmore Lite in the under $300 range. You should be able to find any of those in the for sale forum here by posting a WTB, or contact someone like thrice (a member here, runs Rockhopper Audio) to have something built for you.

Whether you decide to max this on your amp all depends on your future plans. If you want to spend $300 total, ever, I'd spend $100-150 of your budget on headphones, and get better headphones. My recommendations in this price range are Alessandro MS-1 (built by grado, $99), used HD580s for around $150, used Grado SR-225 for $150, Koss KSC-35s for around $20, etc. If in ear is an option, go with the mini^3, and get Altec Lansing iM716s, Westone UM2s, Custom molded Super Freq or Freq of Nature, or Etymotic ER4Ps. If closed is a requirement, others will have to make recommendations, because I don't know of any headphones that I'd recommend under $300 that are closed.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 14
Thank you all so much for the advice. I will try and sell these Yamahas and look into new headphones. I will then research the rest of the suggestions to see what will work me. You guys are great, thank you again.

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 14
over the course of time you would probably see your budget begain to expand uncontroablly under the tantalizing force of this forum....welcome to head-fi, and sorry for you wallet...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 14
I think that you should get yourself a set of grados as benchmark. Not only can you experience great sound for the first time, you could also pick what you like and dislike about the headphone. From there you could pick out another that suits you better. Get an sr60 or 80 and return them within 30 days if possible. Either that or you can try out some at a store somewhere. Mind you, having one with you at home to get used to is better than trying to listen to them in any shop.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 14
Ok guys. I have been doing a good amount of reading and I have come up with a shopping list. I would like to know what your opinions are of my list.

I want to get the Denon D2000 headphones. I read that these are closed and I believe the Sennheiser HD595 cans are not, is this true? They looked like closed cans to me. What does closed mean exactly?

I want to get the DarkVoice 336i tube amp. Seems like a really sweet budget amp to me.

I am also considering getting the emu 0404 soundcard. Do better ways exist from going to laptop to amp?

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 14
If it helps, the way I approached it was first decide if I wanted open or closed (so do I want to shut out the world as much as possible or not)

Then do I prefer things sitting on my ears, or around them.

I went for closed (got a 4-yr old daughter so shutting things out is good
wink.gif
) and I prefer my ears to be completely surrounded (circumaural).

Narrowed the list down a fair bit.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 14
Thank you rangdo.

Does this mean the Senn 595s rest on the ears and the Denon 2000s actually rest around ears? Or are both cans closed?

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm no expert on all the models but if you check the manu websites it should say open or closed.

Senn don't do too many closed that I know of, the best I remember were the HD-265 (hiding in my loft somewhere) and surrounded the ears. IMO around the ears makes for more comfortable long sessions.

Don't know the Denon's but I reckon a few of the bods on this forum can advise
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back