New to head-fi & jumping in!
Apr 20, 2023 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

treys1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, new here.

I'm 45 and have been into audio most of my life with a reoccurring emphasis on car audio (SQ comps) over the years. But lately my automotive hobby has been off roading so not much room for SQ there... All of that said, I realized hi-fi has been missing from my life for a while, and since my wife doesn't share the passion (she likes music, but doesn't make a hobby of listening), I figured it was time to dabble in good headphone setup(s). We recently bought a cabin that has an independent office for each of us (both being remote) and it was perfect timing for a setup!

I went with a Modi / Loki / Vali stack and got a JAN Sylvania 5670 for it right off the bat based on a LOT of reading / price. Set it all up and used my ATH-m40x that I have had for years to travel with and it was GREAT just like that! So what does one do with something that is great? Make it even better, right?

So, ordered a Loki / Vali for the main house (desktop is higher end and has a ESS Sabre ES9023P DAC chip), proceeded to order a bazillion tubes (I have multiple GE 5 Star, JAN Sylvania, RCA Command, RCA Triple Micah and even a pair of WE 396As inbound, I need multiples with 2 Valis, right??) AND a pair of DT 770 Pros + Drop Meze 99s.....

So this has all happened in a couple weeks.... lol

Apr 21, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 10
Welcome to Head Fi, sorry about your wallet. Great equipment choices.

Haha thanks! So far, it's much cheaper than high end car audio, of course I have avoided the really high end head-fi stuff for now on purpose.

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 10
Welcome :)
I've been through quite number of hobbies, and I always end up retuning to music, in some way, and having good music reproduction gear enhances the enjoyment.
I think Head-Fi is really great, compared to speakers, as you can get some quite good gear for only a few hundred dollars. That's not easy with speakers IMO.
But of course, it usually ends up being way more expensive than it has to. 💸 😁
Anyway, a cabin with you own space sounds like the perfect place for a Head-Fi setup, would love to have that as well 🙂

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 10
I've been through quite number of hobbies, and I always end up retuning to music, in some way, and having good music reproduction gear enhances the enjoyment.
I think Head-Fi is really great, compared to speakers, as you can get some quite good gear for only a few hundred dollars. That's not easy with speakers IMO.
Anyway, a cabin with you own space sounds like the perfect place for a Head-Fi setup, would love to have that as well 🙂

This thread just popped back up after a few months, I have already been through a few iterations of gear... :)

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 10
This thread just popped back up after a few months, I have already been through a few iterations of gear... :)
I see, did not notice the date, sorry 🤪

Nov 9, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 10
Speakers can be awesome but holy crap they get expensive quick. On top of that there are so many variables to making your system to sound optimal. Head-fi is much easier…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back