New to Head-Fi and already addicted
Apr 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Skolar311

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, just wanted to say Hello and thanks! You do not know me, but I stumbled this website a few months ago, and since then I've become a head-fi enthusiast.... And I thank this site for all the important input that helped drive my new-found addiction :)

Since stumbling (StumbleUpon) across Head-Fi.org in October, I've bought what I think is pretty good gear based on what I've read on the forums. At this point where I'm at I'm not sure what to do next, so I would appreciate your advice. Here is my current hardware setup.

Sources: HP EliteBook IDT SRS Pro HD Audio, Motorola Atrix 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Shure SRH-840
Amps: Schiit Magni, FiiO E11 Portable
DAC: Onboard from all sources everything. (Schiit Modi coming in 2 weeks.)
Music: Rock (all kinds), Dubstep, House Music, Classical, Jazz, Techno/Electronica.

I listen to pretty much everything except Rap and Country.

I'm sure there's plenty of information that I'm not including because I'm new, but what should I do next? I've always appreciated everyone's feedback from this site. Are there any other Amp's that are really good with the HD600's? Are there any portable amps that are good for the HD600? (Was looking at the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc).

Any and ALL suggestions, comments, questions of your own are welcome and I look forward to my regular visits here.

-Skolar311 (Bobby) <--- You may call me this

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I stumbled this website a few months ago, and since then I've become a head-fi enthusiast.... And I thank this site for all the important input that helped drive my new-found addiction :)

Run.

This is the best and only piece of advice I can give to you. Run away as fast as you can.

Run as if your life depended on it.

Before you garner ~4000 posts and spend every waking hour on this site arguing with people that may very likely not exist, about things that don't exist.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 14
You see... I wasn't addicted to the drug we know as head-fi until about that time last year. Was a lurker (you know, testing it out), and then I got hooked. 

Guessing you're looking for budget and something small? JDS Labs' C5 and the O2 (though I'm thinking you want something small like the c5). 

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 14
Mainly looking for portable, size is not really an issue as long as it's easily transportable. I JUST picked up the Magni and I'm loving every second of it. And as suggested, I'll probably go with a tube amp and more than likely will pick up the Schiit Valhalla sometime down the line.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Run.

This is the best and only piece of advice I can give to you. Run away as fast as you can.

Run as if your life depended on it.

Before you garner ~4000 posts and spend every waking hour on this site arguing with people that may very likely not exist, about things that don't exist.

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!

I would suggest trying something tubey with the HD600. Maybe an ALO audio Continental?

you guys are here too. 

Quote:
Mainly looking for portable, size is not really an issue as long as it's easily transportable. I JUST picked up the Magni and I'm loving every second of it. And as suggested, I'll probably go with a tube amp and more than likely will pick up the Schiit Valhalla sometime down the line.

Ah, if you're going tube, might want to check the Bellari HA540 since it's around the same price range. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 14
Some advice here: Take your time learning the info. A lot of stuff to be learned doesn't happen over night. Be patient.

If you can, attend a head fi meet and try some of the gear. Also one thing I learned is that many times, other people's opinions do not matter so much. There are things that I like alot and some other things that are popular but not really my cup of tea. Just because a reviewer is a good writer, it doesn't mean that his taste is like yours.

Most importantly, have fun! Enjoy the learning process and the music.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 14
It always freaks me out a little bit that there are tons of folks out there lurking and actually making purchases based on what we say in this forum. IMHO, the OP has done a great job so far - very good gear choices. I agree with the previous poster - go slow. Enjoy what you have and add variety when you see something that really interests you. There are lots of ways approach this hobby - there is no "one right way." You can buy and keep gear to accumulate a large horde, or continually trade-up by using the buy/sell forums and becoming a trader. It's all good!

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 14
Great advice from everyone, thanks! At this point I intend to slow down a little because I am so very satisfied with my setup as is. I based my purchases on months of research and I believe it paid off.

Thanks again and I look forward to whatever comes next :)

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Some advice here: Take your time learning the info. A lot of stuff to be learned doesn't happen over night. Be patient.

If you can, attend a head fi meet and try some of the gear. Also one thing I learned is that many times, other people's opinions do not matter so much. There are things that I like alot and some other things that are popular but not really my cup of tea. Just because a reviewer is a good writer, it doesn't mean that his taste is like yours.

Most importantly, have fun! Enjoy the learning process and the music.

Seconded, all very good points mentioned above. Read up on reviews as much as you can, and always remember the reviews and opinions serves as only a guide and not as a gold standard. Only you can determine what best suites your listening needs, likes, and dislikes. Try to attend some local meets in your area as it's a great way too meet other members and audition gear that may interest you before you buy. Try not to make too many impulse buys as many here will tell you that if you're not careful this hobby can bleed your wallet, bank account, and credit cards dry. Most importantly enjoy the ride, have fun, and happy listening.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 14
Look what has happened to me. I am 17, therefore I can't really afford this hobby. I joined in October last year, that is no more than half a year ago, and my post count is 980 posts. I spend approximately 3-4 hours a day on head-fi and other related forums, though not as much time in the weekends.

Started with the Etymotic hf2. They costed me slightly more than 100$. Then I ended up buying the fiio e17, which set me back 175$. Then I thought the e17 was overkill for my ety's so I bought the dt-880's which set me back another 350$. Then, a month later I got the HE-500, which was 700$ along with my Musical Fidelity X-can as an amp upgrade was necessary. 350$.

Then I sold my dt-880 a month after getting the HE-500. I sold 'em for 250$. Then I bought my ultrasone hfi-780, costed 250$. Now, I am awaiting a new DAC, which is going to cost some 350$.

It all adds up to: 2035$

I barely earn 200$ a month.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for the advice everyone, once again :). You'll have to believe me when I say I won't get super addicted to posting on this site. I'm a Network Administrator and can only take so much of the computer. I don't own a Facebook and I don't play WoW :wink:. At work I'm stuck on the computer for 8 - 10 hours a day, when I get home I dive into my HD600's.

I am, however, a gear-head and am already super addicted to the hardware. With my house payments, and how much my wife costs me.......I shouldn't be spending as much as I do, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back