New to DIY - Tube Amp + DAC
Nov 16, 2011 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Elysian

1000+ Head-Fier
After reading up on various AMB and Cavalli amps, I'm interested in trying to build my own.

I'm looking for a starter tube amp project where I can buy a full kit from someone, like the Millet Hybrid MiniMAX from Beezar.  After reading how much work it takes to do a good beta22 chassis and panels, I'd like to do something less ambitious, where I can buy a kit with all the parts from someone and tinker around on my own over the holidays.  I do occasional chip soldering so I'm assuming, technically, it's not that much more difficult.  The main issue is that I don't want to deal with the challenge of sourcing and designing my own chassis and front panel at this time.

Could someone please recommend an available kit for the best performing headphone tube amp around?  I have a few friends who could use a headphone amp, so I want to give the amp away once I'm done, and for it to have good performance quality.  I read that the SOHA is good too, but I couldn't find a complete kit on Glass Jar Audio.

Also, are there any DAC kits worth looking at beyond the gamma2 and grubDAC?

Thanks for any suggestions on getting started!  This project will likely drive a K701 or SR225i.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 6
Bottlehead makes some really nice tube kits - Crack, Smack, and SEX. Those are both low impedance cans so you probably don't want the OTL Crack, but the others should definitely be considered. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 6
I completely forgot about the Bottlehead.  Thank you for the reminder.  Didn't realize they had two other lines, as well.  I'll do some research to see how the Smack and SEX compare to against other amps.  Given that they're about $550, I wonder how they compare against a commercial headphone amp price tier (such as a Woo).

Just found the helpful comparison page, too: http://www.bottlehead.com/et/whichheadphoneamp.htm

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 6
I own the crack but have not heard the other two unfortunately. The crack sounds really nice with hd600s, and the construction instructions are second to none - they even tell you how long to cut your wires!

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 6
I have built most of the amps that you have interest in... MiniMax, 3 channel Beta 22 & the new Bottlehead SEX 2.1 plus a few others.  Each has its +/-... I would recommend the Beezar MiniMax as the amp for your needs at the present.  It has the lowest price, 3 different tubes that can be cheaply bought to adjust the sound, a complete "bolt together" kit and Tomb is the most helpful fellow if you have problems with hand holding many "noobs" (I'm one of them) to his credit.  While not an "idiot proof" amp to build, as it will require some skill on your part, after completion you will "fear no fish" (G.Loomis) and can tackle the immortal Beta 22 if you so desire.  The only minus is that the other amps sound a little better that their higher price allows.

The SEX 2.1 is easy to build but will require wood finishing, painting and only the Bottlehead forum to help you with any issues.  Don't know why there are not many people "talking " about it of the Head Fi forum as I find it an excellent amp that is my favorite teamed up with my LCD 2r2 headphones when listing to music.  If you have money and want to spend the extra time building it to look proper I would say this is the amp to get. 

The Beta 22 is my best amp.  It is not a first time project as it took the most effort with skill, time and expense.  I used GJA parts, which helped a lot, and had to buy tools to complete a working amp in both sound and looks.  I would say it is the perfect amp for all my headphones and probably most of the others out there.  I use this amp for gaming with the Senn HD 800's for it is so quick and crystal clear.  Since I mostly game it is the amp I would keep (along with the HD 800) if I could only have one with a tear shed for the Bottlehead as I like the glow of tubes which is the biggest draw back of the Beta 22... it is a boring amp to look at. 

Corny as it may sound I love the romance of a tube amp glowing next to me hence my next project, the Bijou, which in the DIY amp world will be like a candle lit dinner with a blue eyed blond. 

So you make your choice, pay your money and hopefully come away satisfied.  To end this I will try to make the right decision for you... the Bottlehead SEX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back