New to Computer as Source forum
Jun 20, 2007 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sherwood

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey gurus,

I'm moving to Turkey for a year, and I need to pack a little lighter than i can at home. I've decided to run my millett hybrid and my HD 580s off my laptop, but the headphone out is (of course) atrocious. What's the cheapest and smallest I can get good 2-channel output from a laptop? I don't need specific drivers, inputs, or anything like that. A line out and a clean signal is really all I'm looking for.

Whatchou guys got here?

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 10
I don't think the bithead is the right route as I'm already very satisfied with my amp and don't need another. A USB DAC sounds good, but which one? I've heard a lot about the alien DAC, is it any good? Anyone commonly make them with RCA outs?

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 10
Fubar II USB DAC...sounds good and pretty small....

or the Silverstone EB01...i think its slightly bigger than the Fubar but slightly cheaper as well.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the bithead is the right route as I'm already very satisfied with my amp and don't need another. A USB DAC sounds good, but which one? I've heard a lot about the alien DAC, is it any good? Anyone commonly make them with RCA outs?

MASanto is making them, see this thread. As for RCA, just use a mini to RCA cable.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MASanto is making them, see this thread. As for RCA, just use a mini to RCA cable.

Fella sure looks pretty fly, and I mean that in the best way. How do these alien dacs stand up to similarly priced PCMCIA solutions like the Echo indigo and the Audigy?

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 10
Ya...try looking up some of the USB DAC...you can always use an MP3 Player as a source...and use your laptop to just transfer...or you can also find an old CD player...so thats an alternative...

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How does this usb DAC compare to the X-Fi?

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeah, I've considered using one of my two ipods. Would I get better sound quality out of a line out or an alien DAC?

CD player is out of the question. Too big to bring on a plane, and cd's are tough to store and source. I'm living in student housing, so I'm not really flush for room. Portability is the key here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back