New to CIEMs - Help!
Nov 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vc1187

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings chaps,

So I am not exactly new to the audiophile world (See Profile), but I am a complete newbie when it comes to CIEMs.

To my understanding, a visit to the local audiologist is required in order to get a molding of the inner ear, but what do I do from that point forward?

I'm really interested in trying out the UM: Miracle.

If you guys could walk me through the exact process, as well as sum up some costs for me, that would be wonderful.

Also, I plan on running these bad boys straight out of an iPhone... would that be sufficient?

Thanks!

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 8
In my knowledge basically you have to send those impressions to the stated address, make the payment, inform the customs company about any customisation choices you might have (this normally incurs more costs, so make sure you do this before making any final payment) and...sit back and prepare for the long wait, which is basically the most painful thing of the whole process. UM normally takes around 1 month of turnover time, so make sure to preseve your sanity before they arrive. :D

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
In my knowledge basically you have to send those impressions to the stated address, make the payment, inform the customs company about any customisation choices you might have (this normally incurs more costs, so make sure you do this before making any final payment) and...sit back and prepare for the long wait, which is basically the most painful thing of the whole process. UM normally takes around 1 month of turnover time, so make sure to preseve your sanity before they arrive. :D

Worth it to purchase secondhand CIEMs on the forums here, then send them in to a re-shelling company?

Also, what is an estimated price for the audiologist visit?

Any price estimates on re-shelling as well?

With all this in mind, I might just skip the whole CIEM shabang and go for Universal IEMs.  What are the best high end ones that you guys have  heard?

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Worth it to purchase secondhand CIEMs on the forums here, then send them in to a re-shelling company?

Also, what is an estimated price for the audiologist visit?

Any price estimates on re-shelling as well?

With all this in mind, I might just skip the whole CIEM shabang and go for Universal IEMs.  What are the best high end ones that you guys have  heard?

It might be worth it, as CIEMs do resell for a much lower value. Depending on your budget though, and your trust in the reshelling company.
An audiologist appointment in the States normally would set you back $40-$50 in general. With some companies like JH or Westone, this fee would normally be waived.
The best universal contenders to compete with CIEMs up to date are AKG K3003 and FitEar To Go! 334. Costs are $1200 and $1350, respectively.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
It might be worth it, as CIEMs do resell for a much lower value. Depending on your budget though, and your trust in the reshelling company.
An audiologist appointment in the States normally would set you back $40-$50 in general. With some companies like JH or Westone, this fee would normally be waived.
The best universal contenders to compete with CIEMs up to date are AKG K3003 and FitEar To Go! 334. Costs are $1200 and $1350, respectively.

The re-shelling fee?  I'm a little confused... JH and Westone aren't hosts of audiologists right?  How would they waive that fee?

If i'm going to pay that much for some of the best universals, I'd rather go the CIEM route.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
The re-shelling fee?  I'm a little confused... JH and Westone aren't hosts of audiologists right?  How would they waive that fee?

If i'm going to pay that much for some of the best universals, I'd rather go the CIEM route.

Ok from the top.

First off customs do take a bit of time and legwork. 

Step one is to book an audiologist appointment in your area.  Prices will vary so it's best to phone around.  For example, I paid £30 (in uk but good example) whilst someone else was quoted £100 (which he obviously turned down, and got done for £40).

If you go with the likes of JH (http://www.jhaudio.com/collection/preferred-audiologists) and Westone (http://www.westone.com/music/index.php/about-us/find-a-dealer.html/faqs.html) they have approved audiologists.  I believe (this is the bit you may want to check out/verify) that if you go through one of these then the cost of the ear moulds are absorbed into the final price (waiving the fee as it were, again double check this is right!).   You then send your impressions to the company doing your order.

Once you've paid you will then have to wait a specified before hand waiting period.  This can and does vary due to how busy they are.  Most companies do offer a "rush" build option, but at a price.  After the waiting period is up your ciems are delivered to you.  You "may" need to send them back if the fit isn't exact, and most people seem to need at least one refit.

The other option is reshelling, which has become quite popular due to the price.

You get your ear impressions done (there is no fee waiving in this instance), and along with your balanced armature (very few companies do dynamic)iem send them in to the company doing your build.  After a couple of weeks you get your ciem back.

Hope that helps, apologies if a little obvious at times.

Cheers

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Ok from the top.

First off customs do take a bit of time and legwork. 

Step one is to book an audiologist appointment in your area.  Prices will vary so it's best to phone around.  For example, I paid £30 (in uk but good example) whilst someone else was quoted £100 (which he obviously turned down, and got done for £40).

If you go with the likes of JH and Westone they have approved audiologists.  I believe (this is the bit you may want to check out/verify) that if you go through one of these then the cost of the ear moulds are absorbed into the final price (waiving the fee as it were, again double check this is right!).   You then send your impressions to the company doing your order.

Once you've paid you will then have to wait a specified before hand waiting period.  This can and does vary due to how busy they are.  Most companies do offer a "rush" build option, but at a price.  After the waiting period is up your ciems are delivered to you.  You "may" need to send them back if the fit isn't exact, and most people seem to need at least one refit.

The other option is reshelling, which has become quite popular due to the price.

You get your ear impressions done (there is no fee waiving in this instance), and along with your balanced armature (very few companies do dynamic)iem send them in to the company doing your build.  After a couple of weeks you get your ciem back.

Hope that helps, apologies if a little obvious at times.

Cheers

No need to apologize, that was highly in depth and exactly the type of response I was looking for.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back