New to Balanced IC's -- Need Giant-Killing 1m Pair for HR Desktop Balanced Amp
Jul 22, 2008 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Mudshark

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to balanced interconnects. I am looking for recommendations for a pair of 1m XLR IC's to run between an Esoteric DV-60 Universal Player and a HeadRoom Desktop Balanced amp. The more neutral/transparent the better. Budget is $200 or less. Will consider used cables. Thanks in advance!

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudshark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I am new to balanced interconnects. I am looking for recommendations for a pair of 1m XLR IC's to run between an Esoteric DV-60 Universal Player and a HeadRoom Desktop Balanced amp. The more neutral/transparent the better. Budget is $200 or less. Will consider used cables. Thanks in advance!

I find Kimber's "Hero" to be well made, reasonably priced and deliver sound indistinguishable from far more expensive offerings...and many cheaper perhaps
biggrin.gif

White Zombie Audio's "ZeroPointZero" is another affordable option if you're looking for something fancier than BJC grade wire.
White Zombie Handmade Silver High End Analog RCA Stereo Audio Interconnect Cables

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Know Talent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find Kimber's "Hero" to be well made, reasonably priced and deliver sound indistinguishable from far more expensive offerings...and many cheaper perhaps
biggrin.gif

White Zombie Audio's "ZeroPointZero" is another affordable option if you're looking for something fancier than BJC grade wire.
White Zombie Handmade Silver High End Analog RCA Stereo Audio Interconnect Cables

Thanks for the suggestions. I have used Kimber Hero RCA IC's for years with good results. I will check out the XLR version.

I was not familiar with White Zombie Audio. Does that brand have a following here on Headfi? Thanks again.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 22
Mudshark,

I second Penger's recommendation of the balanced Grover SC interconnects with XLR's (I have two pairs).
Grover ICs are very well regarded here at Head-Fi over the years and the current Grover SC version is his best yet. The special carbon nickel shield incorporated in these interconnects is very effective (it was first used by Grover for his phono cables which carry very low level signals).

I found where Grover posted prices on Steve Hoffman Forum in January 2008 (and I reposted Grover's prices to AudioNervosa forum as folks there were asking).
The price then for one pair of 1-meter balanced Grover SC interconnects was $230, slightly above your budget, but the message from Grover indicated a 15% percent discount if Steve Hoffman Forum was mentioned.

You should contact Grover directly -
Grover's e-mail is groverhuffman@hotmail.com

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 22
Mudshark,

There is a 3-page thread entitled
"grover s vs. current grover" over at AudioNervosa with evaluations of he current Grover SC interconnects

go to

I hope I got the link to be active...

rlmacklin

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 22
I've have fantastic experience with Zu Cable. Specifically, the Zu Gede - it outperformed the Kimber Select KS-1011 when I tested it in various systems and remains my cable of choice. If you want to splurge, you can go for the top-of-the-line Zu Varial too. Both the Gede and Varial come in balanced version of course.

Grover I find was good too, but not as good as the Zu. I also did not like the fact that a new revision came out every month or so...not sure if that is still the case.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've have fantastic experience with Zu Cable. Specifically, the Zu Gede - it outperformed the Kimber Select KS-1011 when I tested it in various systems and remains my cable of choice. If you want to splurge, you can go for the top-of-the-line Zu Varial too. Both the Gede and Varial come in balanced version of course.

Grover I find was good too, but not as good as the Zu. I also did not like the fact that a new revision came out every month or so...not sure if that is still the case.

It's been a year since the last revision I believe. I'm only saying so because I bought the SC right when it came out, and he seems to be still selling that version. Since getting his patent, I think Grover has stuck to the SC iteration which has a carbon nickel shielding.

Been wanting to try the Zu's actually... maybe now's the time...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 22
Thanks to all who have responded so far. Sounds like I can't go wrong with:

Kimber Hero
Zu Gede
Grover SC

Any other XLR cables I should consider? (FWIW, my "reference" in RCA IC's has been the Harmonic Technology Pro-Silway Mk. III).

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 22
I'd be interested in some recommendations as well. I used Zu Gede cables when I started out on head-fi, though they were RCAs, and liked them at the time... however, I've heard a lot better since. I haven't heard the Kimber Hero's, but they interest me, especially after meeting with and talking to Ray Kimber at the national meet. Grover I've always been wary of due to the constant versions and based on some of his cables I've examined.

Until recent I used Signal Cable Silver Resolution Balanced in my headphone rig, but tried some copper IC's [a custom cable from ALO that Ray Samuels uses] at the national meet and prefered them. Recently I had a friend of mine make me some inexpensive copper IC's and they are what I am currently using.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 22
Thanks for the very interesting post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be interested in some recommendations as well. I used Zu Gede cables when I started out on head-fi, though they were RCAs, and liked them at the time... however, I've heard a lot better since. I haven't heard the Kimber Hero's, but they interest me, especially after meeting with and talking to Ray Kimber at the national meet. Grover I've always been wary of due to the constant versions and based on some of his cables I've examined.

Until recent I used Signal Cable Silver Resolution Balanced in my headphone rig, but tried some copper IC's [a custom cable from ALO that Ray Samuels uses] at the national meet and prefered them. Recently I had a friend of mine make me some inexpensive copper IC's and they are what I am currently using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back