New to Audiophile world
Sep 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JuanseAmador

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I wondered if you can help me...

I want to be an audiophile, but I need help choosing headphones.
These are my choices:

HiFiMan HE-400
Shure SE215 (IEM)

And I still have $300 for a more portable headphone, probably On-Ear.

Grado 325i
Grado 225i
Koss PortaPro
Sennheiser HD25
ATH-M50

Can you give me more choices

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
I want to be an audiophile, but I need help choosing headphones.

Audiophiles aren't made - they're born. 
atsmile.gif

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 15
Sep 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 15
Haha. Well, I'd like to know more about what the OP is looking for. I mean, from what he's listed it's rather confusing. (full sized ortho vs an in-ear monitor?)

And as for portables, he listed the Grado's, which actually aren't that good as portables (a bit flimsy, open-design, very long and thick cord, terminates in 1/4" plug).

If he's looking at the Shure IEM, why not get that as his portable solution, and maybe get a full-sized can like the HE-400 for home use? He will need an amp to drive them, though.

I also second the recommendation for the new Momentum. Looks very nice. Also maybe throw in an Audio-Technica ESW9, those are fantastic for $300.

Sep 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 15
Sep 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 15
Haha. Well, I'd like to know more about what the OP is looking for. I mean, from what he's listed it's rather confusing. (full sized ortho vs an in-ear monitor?)

And as for portables, he listed the Grado's, which actually aren't that good as portables (a bit flimsy, open-design, very long and thick cord, terminates in 1/4" plug).

If he's looking at the Shure IEM, why not get that as his portable solution, and maybe get a full-sized can like the HE-400 for home use? He will need an amp to drive them, though.

I also second the recommendation for the new Momentum. Looks very nice. Also maybe throw in an Audio-Technica ESW9, those are fantastic for $300.

Sorry for misleading you, My headphones will be the HE-400 as main, and the SE215 for training, running, etc.
And I still have $400 left.

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 15
Sep 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Sep 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 15
Sep 22, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 15
I saw the review, they are like a copy of the Philips Citiscape Uptown
but there better...

Yeah I know, they are very similar in design.

Anyways I just changed my mind, and I'm going to buy the HE-400, and Ultimate Ears UE900.
What do you think about it? I think it would be great, since the UE900 are quad BA IEM's

And last, my only concern is that the UE900 may become my main... Because I prefer Headphones better than IEM's, but they are no where close to the sound of the HE-400, right?

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Just give him some help bro
tongue_smile.gif
. I would recommend getting the Sennheiser Momentum or the Hifiman HE-400.

My quip about audiophiles being born is not just philosophical nonsense. I didn't chose to be an audiophile - I just wanted something that sounded better, then better, then better, then better, and now I have a over-sized collection of headphones and equipment that forced me to have an interest in this stuff otherwise I would still be stuck with cheap earbuds and I would never enjoy music. 

If you really are 13, and you can afford an HE-400, then it doesn't entirely matter what headphone you get now - if you don't like it you can just sell it and find one you like better... you've got a long lifetime of happy audio ahead of you 
biggrin.gif
. That said, you can't really go wrong with the HE-400. I've only just stepped into the world of orthodynamics (vintage 70's stuff) and I'm absolutely in love with it...... my only advice is that as a 13 year old you should steer clear of bright headphones - your hearing is more sensitive to higher frequencies than most of us older folk, so you will find bright headphones like Grados unbearably harsh and piercing and you won't enjoy the music. Orthos tend to be softer in the highs than dynamics. 

Also, is the PA2V2 strong enough to power those orthos? Modern orthos should have better designs and be more sensitive than older ones, but my PA2V2 sometimes isn't quite enough for my two orthos (which are 50 ohms and 30 ohms).  The sensitivity of the HE-400 is a little low at 92dB - although in the real world this doesn't mean much until you actually plug it into the amp and have a listen. I think the sennHD800 for example is around 90dB, but my PA2V2 was fine with that. 

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
my only advice is that as a 13 year old you should steer clear of bright headphones - your hearing is more sensitive to higher frequencies than most of us older folk, so you will find bright headphones like Grados unbearably harsh and piercing and you won't enjoy the music.

Not necessarily true; I'm only 15, and I'm perfectly fine with listening to my sr225is for hours on end.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 15
Just give him some help bro:tongue_smile: . I would recommend getting the Sennheiser Momentum or the Hifiman HE-400.

My quip about audiophiles being born is not just philosophical nonsense. I didn't chose to be an audiophile - I just wanted something that sounded better, then better, then better, then better, and now I have a over-sized collection of headphones and equipment that forced me to have an interest in this stuff otherwise I would still be stuck with cheap earbuds and I would never enjoy music. 

If you really are 13, and you can afford an HE-400, then it doesn't entirely matter what headphone you get now - if you don't like it you can just sell it and find one you like better... you've got a long lifetime of happy audio ahead of you :D . That said, you can't really go wrong with the HE-400. I've only just stepped into the world of orthodynamics (vintage 70's stuff) and I'm absolutely in love with it...... my only advice is that as a 13 year old you should steer clear of bright headphones - your hearing is more sensitive to higher frequencies than most of us older folk, so you will find bright headphones like Grados unbearably harsh and piercing and you won't enjoy the music. Orthos tend to be softer in the highs than dynamics. 

Also, is the PA2V2 strong enough to power those orthos? Modern orthos should have better designs and be more sensitive than older ones, but my PA2V2 sometimes isn't quite enough for my two orthos (which are 50 ohms and 30 ohms).  The sensitivity of the HE-400 is a little low at 92dB - although in the real world this doesn't mean much until you actually plug it into the amp and have a listen. I think the sennHD800 for example is around 90dB, but my PA2V2 was fine with that. 

Well, I use my own money lol. I make websites

And Jerg and other guys I can't remember, told me that the PA2V2 handled them great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back