New to Android DAPs... newbie questions
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BadgerRivFan

100+ Head-Fier
I've been an Apple/iPhone user since the iPhone was first introduced, and have never owned a smartphone or DAP with an Android based operating system. I'm going to take a step into new territory and preorder a new HiBy R6 2020. Since I've never used an Android music player, I am hoping you would indulge a couple of rookie questions that I have...

1) It looks like I could download familiar apps (Tidal, Qobuz, Mconnect, Roon, etc.) from the Google Playstore. Although there is a small amount of internal memory within the R6, if you are using say the Tidal native app and want to download songs for offline use can they be saved onto a micro SD card in the DAP? I can't do this currently on an iPhone or my PC, but if I understand correctly you can do it on Android?

2) My basic research on the Android OS indicated that there was an issue with content greater than 24 bit / 48 khz. It appears that HiBy has engineered a way around this (allowing 96, 192 streaming, etc.) but that if I am using Roon as the conduit for my content I would still be restricted to a maximum of 24/48 as Roon's internal capability limits all data streaming to Android devices. Is that correct? Is there a way to use Roon with higher resolution content on an Android based device?

Thanks in advance for reading. Your feedback to help me learn is appreciated.

Dec 17, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 5
I've been an Apple/iPhone user since the iPhone was first introduced, and have never owned a smartphone or DAP with an Android based operating system. I'm going to take a step into new territory and preorder a new HiBy R6 2020. Since I've never used an Android music player, I am hoping you would indulge a couple of rookie questions that I have...

1) It looks like I could download familiar apps (Tidal, Qobuz, Mconnect, Roon, etc.) from the Google Playstore. Although there is a small amount of internal memory within the R6, if you are using say the Tidal native app and want to download songs for offline use can they be saved onto a micro SD card in the DAP? I can't do this currently on an iPhone or my PC, but if I understand correctly you can do it on Android?

2) My basic research on the Android OS indicated that there was an issue with content greater than 24 bit / 48 khz. It appears that HiBy has engineered a way around this (allowing 96, 192 streaming, etc.) but that if I am using Roon as the conduit for my content I would still be restricted to a maximum of 24/48 as Roon's internal capability limits all data streaming to Android devices. Is that correct? Is there a way to use Roon with higher resolution content on an Android based device?

Thanks in advance for reading. Your feedback to help me learn is appreciated.
1) yes you can store Tidal tracks on an SD card for offline use.

2) not a Roon user, sorry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back