New T.V., DLP, LCoS, Plasma, etc?
Feb 21, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Front projection is not an option. I am leaning towards a rear projection plasma, or the Sony rear projection LCD. The one I looked at over at Circuit City was the 1080p but was about $500 over my budget, not too sure how my wife would feel about that. I am still going to have to purchase a cabinet/stand for the new television and the one I am contemplating runs around $1,500. I also liked a Samsung DLP that I saw at Magnolia, it was also on sale for $2,400 but was only 46". I kind of have my sights set on a 50" model.

How big is your living room? Mainly, how large is the wall it's going to be up against?

46" is not as small as you think. Funny thing, is at the stores, the 46" one looks so small, because of relative scale. But at home, it looks huge to me. I always do a double take when I see a 42-46" set and think, "oh, how cute, they make a smaller one now." And then I realize it's the same size as mine.
tongue.gif

Perhaps laying out the a rectangle with blue painter's tape on the wall, can help you decide which size will work for you. That's what I ended up doing. It was difficult to visualize otherwise.

But, yeah. Bigger is better, if you can afford it. Well, unless the room is tiny.
wink.gif

-Ed

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #17 of 45
I agree with Edwood's intial suggestion of Samsung DLP's they are constantly falling in price (especially the ones that max out at 1080i) and have a fantastic picture quality.

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Doesn't matter. BluRay and HD-DVD are fighting to be the next LaserDisc, in the BEST case scenario.

The Magnolia guy also mentioned MP4 capability. Something to do with the new Playstations I think. Since I don't game, and don't plan to in the future, should that be a consideration?
Quote:

How big is your living room? Mainly, how large is the wall it's going to be up against?

It is a standard sized family room. Perhaps 15' - 18' wide by around 12' deep based on how we have our furniture arranged. The wall it will be placed against is around 13' give or take.

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Doesn't matter. BluRay and HD-DVD are fighting to be the next LaserDisc, in the BEST case scenario.

-Ed

I don't understand...what do you mean by that? Are you saying that the formats will be coming out on the cusp of something better? making it kind of an inbetween. My dad bought a laserdisc player (still has it actually, though it's not used often)...if I remember correctly DVD was out and fairly affordable soon after he bought it...

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #20 of 45
jmt, if you have a chance head to your local newstand and pickup a copy of this months sound and vision, its their 2006 product review issue and has a lots of good info on the differences of all the technologies, as well as suggestions for looking for a new TV and how to notice the subtle differences, as well as a pretty comprehensive list of the TV's currently on the market, features, price, etc., when i get home tonight i could even scan the TV section and email it to you if you'd like

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #21 of 45
MP4 (MPEG4) capability is built into video players, not TVs. Ignore the salesperson, he's smoking crack. As long as your TV has 720p/1080i capability, HDMI or DVI w/HDCP, and component inputs, it'll be good for several years.

If there's a Fry's Electronics nearby, it might be a good idea to visit as they occasionally have fairly ridiculous sales when clearing out inventory. I saw a 60" DLP for $2.3k once.

Carl: I stand corrected. From my understanding, HD-DVD players only output 720p/1080i.

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli
jmt, if you have a chance head to your local newstand and pickup a copy of this months sound and vision, its their 2006 product review issue and has a lots of good info on the differences of all the technologies, as well as suggestions for looking for a new TV and how to notice the subtle differences, as well as a pretty comprehensive list of the TV's currently on the market, features, price, etc., when i get home tonight i could even scan the TV section and email it to you if you'd like

That would be great. I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address, thanks much for the offer.

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #23 of 45
I don't want to derail this thread, but if I could ask a quick question: Which of the newer formats have no issues doubling as a computer monitor? I would want the best quality I could get for movies/etc, but it would be cool to hook my computer up to it for gaming every once and a while. I know that older TV's had issues being used for gaming because they had a different kind of pixels... something like that anyways.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
My wife has finally given me the go ahead to begin the research and ultimately purchase a replacement television for our old 27" Sony.

Jon,

You are the reason I stay away from this place... everytime I peek in, I see that the Mrs. has either given you the OK to buy some big ticket item, or even worse, she's gone and bought you something! Where do I trade my wife in for an upgrade???

Sorry, I have nothing of any use to add right now. I have to wait 3 more years before plunking down some money on a new TV- my son destroys everything and I know that he'd destroy any new TV that we would get.

Drew (who is still alive and kicking)
k1000smile.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Front projection is not an option. I am leaning towards a rear projection plasma, or the Sony rear projection LCD. The one I looked at over at Circuit City was the 1080p but was about $500 over my budget, not too sure how my wife would feel about that. I am still going to have to purchase a cabinet/stand for the new television and the one I am contemplating runs around $1,500. I also liked a Samsung DLP that I saw at Magnolia, it was also on sale for $2,400 but was only 46". I kind of have my sights set on a 50" model.

wait there are projection plasmas now??? i have never seen those

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I don't want to derail this thread, but if I could ask a quick question: Which of the newer formats have no issues doubling as a computer monitor? I would want the best quality I could get for movies/etc, but it would be cool to hook my computer up to it for gaming every once and a while. I know that older TV's had issues being used for gaming because they had a different kind of pixels... something like that anyways.

lcds are the best right now since plasma have a burn in

Feb 23, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_
wait there are projection plasmas now??? i have never seen those

See, I told you I didn't know what I was talking about.

I am leaning towards the Sony 50" rear projection LCD (1080p) which will run around $3,100. I did like what I saw of the Mitsubishi though, it had a beautiful HD picture but was about $400 more. The styling was much more attractive than the Sony, all gloss black framing. It looked great even when it was off.

Feb 23, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #29 of 45
something else to add about the mitsu, from what i've read, mitsu is one of only a handful of manufactures that make their own glass for the screen, i also noticed that sound and vision put the mitsu on their top 50 list of 2005 for all A/V gear, there is a sony on that list as well, not sure if its the same set your looking at

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

Feb 23, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #30 of 45
Yeah, a plasma is a plasma, no such thing as any type of projection-based plasma. If you did go plasma, it's possible to buy a wall-mount for it (which shouldn't be anywhere near the $1500 I think I read you were thinking about spending on a stand, wow) and have it hanging like a picture, if your room will accomodate such a setup. I love the picture quality and unrestricted viewing angles of the best plasmas, myself, I have an older Panasonic plasma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back