New supraaural headphones from Thinksound: On1.
Jan 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #32 of 158
Just ordered these today. Should come in soon! Can't wait! I have a question tho, these are 50 ohm headphones would I need to get a amp to play this on my desktop? I don't use a soundcard anymore cus I didn't like the sound it was creating so I'm using my onboard for now and most likely geting a DAC/amp once I do enough research.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #33 of 158
This headphone is incredible!

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #34 of 158

I truly believe you get more than what you pay for when it comes to thinksound. Like their ms01s IMO could easily go for $150-200 if it was some other company. I've been so spoiled to them that I consider the ms01s to be the standard of acceptable SQ.(Note I am not a audiophile nor have I heard or owned many of the earbuds/headphones that many people on the forums have. In fact these are the most I've ever spent on a earbud) Meaning anything less of a SQ would be considered ****ty.
I'm no expert so I was curious if anyone else thought the same. Where would you put the on1s price wise? Do you think its spot on or does it compete with 400 or even 500 dollar cups?

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #35 of 158
  I truly believe you get more than what you pay for when it comes to thinksound. Like their ms01s IMO could easily go for $150-200 if it was some other company. I've been so spoiled to them that I consider the ms01s to be the standard of acceptable SQ.(Note I am not a audiophile nor have I heard or owned many of the earbuds/headphones that many people on the forums have. In fact these are the most I've ever spent on a earbud) Meaning anything less of a SQ would be considered ****ty.
I'm no expert so I was curious if anyone else thought the same. Where would you put the on1s price wise? Do you think its spot on or does it compete with 400 or even 500 dollar cups?

Yes, you get bang for your buck in sound I believe. I will write about the On1 more extensively soon, but I have one high-end portable headphone, the KEF M500 that retails for about $300. I love the sound of the M500. I would put On1 equal to the M500, and in some ways it's better (I think Thinksound has a more natural sound, especially in the vocals, but just as detailed and transparent as the M500).

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #36 of 158
Just ordered these today. Should come in soon! Can't wait! I have a question tho, these are 50 ohm headphones would I need to get a amp to play this on my desktop? I don't use a soundcard anymore cus I didn't like the sound it was creating so I'm using my onboard for now and most likely geting a DAC/amp once I do enough research.

I sometimes play mine straight out of my iPad for more casual lstening like streaming Spotify or off an old deactivated IPhone while listening to Pandora.

I like how they sound too. I'm kind of surprised that there isn't more activity here on the forum regarding this phone.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #37 of 158
Well is up to those of us who know to create more of a buzz. Sometimes head-fi is slow in discovering certain products. The biggers names get more notice. But I think more people will hear these eventually and fall in love with them.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #38 of 158

Yes, you get bang for your buck in sound I believe. I will write about the On1 more extensively soon, but I have one high-end portable headphone, the KEF M500 that retails for about $300. I love the sound of the M500. I would put On1 equal to the M500, and in some ways it's better (I think Thinksound has a more natural sound, especially in the vocals, but just as detailed and transparent as the M500).

How is the clamping compared to the M500? I have the m500 and am thinking about switching over to these

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #39 of 158

How is the clamping compared to the M500? I have the m500 and am thinking about switching over to these

Good. Need to be stretched out but not as much force as the M500.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #40 of 158
I got a pair of these a week back. These headphones sound way better than the $300 I paid for them. Clamping force for me is optimal. The ear pads are very comfortable and I can easily listen for a couple of hours before I remove them. I use them with a Meridian explorer DAC or Alo Audio Island or directly with my AK100. Sounds great through both. Does full justice to Knopfler's Privateering (oh, the haunting "Redbud tree"). Compares very favorably to the KEF M500 and really better than the Beyerdynamic DT1350…. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #41 of 158
  I got a pair of these a week back. These headphones sound way better than the $300 I paid for them. Clamping force for me is optimal. The ear pads are very comfortable and I can easily listen for a couple of hours before I remove them. I use them with a Meridian explorer DAC or Alo Audio Island or directly with my AK100. Sounds great through both. Does full justice to Knopfler's Privateering (oh, the haunting "Redbud tree"). Compares very favorably to the KEF M500 and really better than the Beyerdynamic DT1350…. 

Awesome. Great minds think alike. I bought and returned the DT 1350s because the sound stage was very tiny and i couldn't take such a high clamping force. I currently have the M500s and they are great but i find that they don't let my ears breathe. The earpad is the flat type and it causes a wierd sensation. Not that they aren't uncomfortable but my ears are begging for some air after 1 hour.

I will give these a shot.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #42 of 158

Awesome. Great minds think alike. I bought and returned the DT 1350s because the sound stage was very tiny and i couldn't take such a high clamping force. I currently have the M500s and they are great but i find that they don't let my ears breathe. The earpad is the flat type and it causes a wierd sensation. Not that they aren't uncomfortable but my ears are begging for some air after 1 hour.

I will give these a shot.

Don't know why but I have a feeling that on the ear headphones might not be for you :). Have you considered the B&W P7? Although, the On-1 is one of the most comfortable on-ears I have used ever.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #44 of 158
I got my On1s  in and they have quite a high clamp force. Maybe its the size of my head but it is pretty tight. They are very light (due to so much plastic being used) and are pretty flexible. They sound almost identical to my Kef M500s with the exception that these are a tad bit warmer.

Don't know if I will keep them as the Kefs are leaps and bounds more comfortable than these. It's not even close. Plus the Kefs have a much much better build quality. I do like the ear pads on the On1s though, they do seem pretty sweat resistant which is a plus and will come in handy in the summer months. The wood is also more hollow sounding/thinner than I expected but just having so much wood is a very cool thing.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #45 of 158
Everyone should own a pair of wooden cans. Maybe they'll grow on you. You should think M500 and On-1; not or 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back