New Speakers or Amp?
Feb 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gbacic

500+ Head-Fier
I have my father's stereo in the rec room down in the basement and I am quite satisfied.
What I am wondering is, since I am going to want my own system one day, if it would be more beneficial to buy a new amp (hybrid or pure tube amp) or to go and buy speakers.

This won't happen for a while (maybe a year) but my price range will probably be 2500 USD max. I don't mind going used if I can find something with decent shipping.

My rig right now is:

Mac -toslink-> compass (Don't want to upgrade, it's great until I go balanced, if I ever do) --> Luxman LV-105 -Equalizer, neutrally equalized-> Paradigm 11se

I was thinking Magnepan, Martinlogan, Quad or more Paradigms (I listen to everything, but experimental metal (Kayo Dot, maudlin of the Well), jazz, acoustic, progressive, drone and rap/hip hop are my most listened to genres.).

Help, experienced audiophiles!

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 8
If you play your cards right, you can actually buy a nice system for $2500.

You just have to know what the best buys are in your price range.

Speakers:

Magnepan MMG
PSB Alpha B1
Paradigm Mini Monitor V.6
Focal 705V

SUBS:
SVS
Paradigm
Velodyn
HSU
OutLaw
PSB

AMPS:
Bryston 3BST - Ebay used $400-600 usually Great Buy!!!!
NAD C272
Cambridge
Rotel

PreAmps:

Woo
Vincent model 31
Rotel
Parasound
Cambridge
NAD

CD Player:
Marantz
NAD
Cambridge
Denon
Rotel

DAC good to upgrade a cd player or use pc:

Musical Fidelity V Dac
Cambridge Dac Magic

Cables:
Signal Cable
Blue Jeans Cable

Theres so many you can look at, but you an definately build a nice system with $2500.

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Having heard lots of speakers (several high-end) and a half dozen or so well executed DIY designs I can say I'm done with commercial speakers.

Consider a kit, like this Usher Kit from parts express or Fountek from Madisound, there is no way you'll get a speaker of similar quality from a commercial speaker.

Clearwave has plenty of designs that are offered in either kit form or completely finished, that range from high-end, to crazy high end (Scanspeak, Seas Excel, Accuton level high-end).

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 8
X2 on DIY speakers. You could really build a killer pair for $2,500.

Though there are terrific values for used speakers, too. I paid about $650 for my ESL-63s. There are good values on used Maggies, too.

I'd concentrate more on the speakers at first. If you can get a good pair of Quads or Maggies, go for it! You can run them off a used receiver until you decide to spend some more on an amp.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 8
I've got some Zaph Audio SR71 speakers that are absolutely killer. You can't beat the value of DIY speakers even if you buy prefab cabinets.

$2500 well get you a VERY good sounding system if you spend wisely.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 8
Sorry for huge post, in advance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both, speakers req. amps, good speakers req. good amps. don't think you buy a good pair of speakers and that's all there's to it. unfortunately not

Yes I know this, these Paradigms were top of the line in 1984 when my dad bought them. The Luxman is quite good, too. The system I have in my basement now is no pushover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you play your cards right, you can actually buy a nice system for $2500.

You just have to know what the best buys are in your price range.
Theres so many you can look at, but you an definately build a nice system with $2500.

I know this, too. But what I want to do is to replace either the speakers or the amp so that I can get my own speakers/amp, use the respective other component until I can afford my owen amp/speaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having heard lots of speakers (several high-end) and a half dozen or so well executed DIY designs I can say I'm done with commercial speakers.

Consider a kit, like this Usher Kit from parts express or Fountek from Madisound, there is no way you'll get a speaker of similar quality from a commercial speaker.

Clearwave has plenty of designs that are offered in either kit form or completely finished, that range from high-end, to crazy high end (Scanspeak, Seas Excel, Accuton level high-end).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Though there are terrific values for used speakers, too. I paid about $650 for my ESL-63s. There are good values on used Maggies, too.

I'd concentrate more on the speakers at first. If you can get a good pair of Quads or Maggies, go for it! You can run them off a used receiver until you decide to spend some more on an amp.

I've heard that the Quad electrostatics are meant more for classical, and I'd love to have a good amount of bass oomph. I would go DIY, but I am terrible at wood working (this is an understatement).

Does anyone know if there will be a substantial increase in my systems quality if I go from my current system (see sig) to a more modern one?

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go DIY, but I am terrible at wood working (this is an understatement).

The two kits I linked to include finished cabinets, all you have to do is put them together, zero wood work involved.

I would also recommend any of the Clearwave speakers. Its a small business that’s run by one of the most talented DIY Audio community members. All of his designs are highly regarded, the business is just a means to facilitate a passion for speaker design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Man, $2,500 would build a world class speaker. $2,000 would get you this Zaph designed 2.5 way Scan-Speak speaker, ZRT 2.5. Those are some of the best drivers in the world in a spare no expense design

$1,000 in DIY would get you a very high-end speaker, something like the Clearwave M52 (SB Acoustics & Vifa drivers), I doubt you could find anything for less than $2,000 that would compete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back