NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jun 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,982 of 4,019
Quote:
Hi All. I'm new both to this 'bit' and to Head-Fi.

Digital... welcome to Head-Fi..... get your wallet ready
wink_face.gif

Amps are on a continuous burn-in with my WM-X at the moment... footies on so will update at some point, prob' after the Dutch game.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,983 of 4,019
ok had the Amperior's on continuous burn-in for approx 11hours my WM-X & had a few little listens along the way... well I've unplugged my lil slave and connected up the WM-Z (I'll treat myself to the WM-X tomorrow when I A & B them)... firstly to cover a bit of old ground, I've been searching for a headphone for over 4-months and nothing has really met what I'm looking for in a 'portable-headphone' to match the WM-Z. The WM-Z has a massive soundstage, a very detailed sound quality and is very neutral (obviously this is to my ears).

for the technically minded all my music is uploaded from CD, SACD & MasterSound Gold-Disc into Atrac Advance Lossless 352kbps... take the following as a 'pinch of salt' because I ain't got a clue how long these will take to burn-in (any HD25 owners out there?)... ok everything is set to my favourite setting, meaning no equalization & only using the stock player, which I kinda love for it's neutral sound...

first-up is Teddy Pendergrass - The Whole Town's Laughing At Me (Love TKO CD)... first thing I notice is the opening thump, thump, thump bass drum, it's deep, Ted's voice is there by the bucket load even the warbles are showing in great detail & the mids are detailed, no make that very detailed, the hi's are struggling, they're recessed but they are there... the bass is deep but there's a cloudiness over it... nice laid-back sound for this track... there's hope for my old soul music by the looks.

next up is Pete Alderton - I'm Sad (Living on Love CD)... the first strum then twang of the guitar you just know this is going to be good, Alderton's in rich vocal form on this track, his voice is airy and has plenty of subtlety for this tune, the guitar playing is detailed & enormously enjoyable to my ears... this track really is making me think, I like these cans... a lot.

ok lets go a bit left-field, next on is The Cure - Fascination Street (Disintegration Remaster-CD)... oh my, my first real disappointment the bass & low mids are real muddied, the hi's are almost ear-achingly bad even the mids are struggling to get through, perhaps not the best track to audition a new pair of cans to but this is one of my fave albums... must admit 'Homesick' sounded pretty good, full of depth and detail... can't believe I'm listening to the same album, these cans are at present, an enigma.

ok lets see how these handle my favourite 'live' album, The Allman Brothers - Mountain Jam (At Filmore East 2CD Deluxe Edition), I know this track inside out and have been in love with it since the 70's (I'm not ready for incontinence-pants so please don't think I'm a old-fart)... from the opening bars of Duane's guitar I already know that there is real synergy between the WM-Z & the Amperior.... this is by far the best I've heard this track on any portable device... I'm into the dual drummer solo now, this is detailed, punchy and the hi's appear to be opening up, this is monitor-staringly good (in other words I'm enjoying the music instead of typing)... the bass solo with the drums is immense I kid you not.... this band is to tight and the guitar playing is simply divine and the power & dynamics of what I'm hearing is... no this is the 'dogs', I'm loving every note... ohh my Duane's slide guitar playing, christ I'd loved to of seen this guy 'live', absolutely immense - 10/10 for this track.... can't wait till these cans are burnt-in & have opened up.

at the moment I'm happy, not 'over the moon' but I'm happy with what I'm hearing... more tomorrow.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #1,984 of 4,019
Thanks for the welcome. To think that 9 months ago I was happily using my iPod (2gen) and a pair of £30 Sony IE's
smily_headphones1.gif
 (which I though were pretty hot). Hello to a world of pleasure and pain.

Hi kellj. Sorry, no personal experience of these. Cheers.

Jun 14, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #1,986 of 4,019
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. To think that 9 months ago I was happily using my iPod (2gen) and a pair of £30 Sony IE's
smily_headphones1.gif
 (which I though were pretty hot). Hello to a world of pleasure and pain.

I was similar... bought a Walkman A-Series at Xmas was so disappointed with the volume-cap I launched it back to Amazon... I discovered this site in Jan'... I'm more a hi-fi man but this is turning out to be interesting... and expensive, spent about £1k so far, about a third is throw-away money spent on products I didn't like (then sold)... this will never compete with my home-system but there's real fun (& pain) in trying to find a hi-end portable rig 'to go'.

If you run your mouse-pointer over a members name, you can then click on 'profile' and see the threads that member is subscribing to... it's an eye-opener to the world of portable & desktop rigs... some great advice comes from fellow head-fi'ers especially if you're in the doggy-do... what I find fascinating is the help these guys give to product-support, iBasso launched a buggy-Dap (link below & yes I want one), the head-fi'ers have acted like a pre-production support team (they paid £500+ each for that lil honour) for what could be a defining DAP, these guys have got the patience of Saints (I'd of smashed the thing to bits ages ago & wanted a refund), it's an immense thread and well worth a read (my favourite thread)...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592076/ibasso-dx100-true-24-bit-for-bit-reviews-impressions-apps-imgs-video-pg-1/6405#post_8456667

good members that have really helped & advised me are Fortis, Turok, Now-What, Way-To, UEL, Currawong, Anak, High-Flight and quite a few more... I daresay some have got fed-up with my inane questions... I've even got someone watching over me... call it protectionism (stop lurking Currawong I know you're there lol).... as I said some great & helpful members.

Lastly, if you mess-up a post you can always alter it after buy clicking on that pencil-thingy at the 'bottom left' of your post... lets you edit it.

Jun 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,988 of 4,019

Quote:
I set my Z on lowest brightness setting and I seem to be able to use it the whole day by playing games and such, so I personally don't have the problem with battery. But I would suggest keeping the brightness setting to the lowest first. 

Yeah, I put the display on the lowest setting, then winced at how dim it seemed compared to full brightness, then adjustted to the lower brightness and have lived happily ever after.

I've also been using an Android Task Manager (I think it's this one) and it's been useful for task-killing.

I tried using Fast Reboot as it works so well with my Droid X2 but with my WMZ it kept causing a pop-up error message which wasn't problematic but it was annoying so I uninstalled it.

So, I think I'll get better battery life now even with my simultaneous www browsing and music listening.

Jun 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,989 of 4,019

Quote:
the Sennheiser Amperior's  have arrived, I'm impressed with the packaging & they look the dogs-bollox (I got the silver ones, very classy)... the cable is in two parts, one part really solid looking (headphone end) and a bit disappointingly the connecting end (or the Apple cable, separate cable) looks a tad flimsy... looks like these could be off for re-cabling in the next week or so, jury's out on that one.

As you probably already know, you can go with the HD 25-1 ii or the HD 600 cable both of which you probably can get in a local brick & mortar since you're in Europe.

I mostly like my HD 25-1 ii's cable but the L-plug is better suited for 6.3mm than 3.5mm use as the latter is very long and extends far enough from its port as to put more stress on the port than would a 3.5mm plug without the threading for a 6.3mm jack.

The HD 600 cable is 3m long and has a 6.3mm jack.

To summarize, might be better off with your oem Amperior cable, frail though it may seem.

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,991 of 4,019
Quote:

I'm a very happy bunny with the Z1060. I'm using PowerAmp with no EQ for my WAV rips. The Z1060 in-built Player has taken these as 1 Album!!! What surprised me is that using the Sony Player for some old Mp3s I have access to DSEE (Sound enhance) and Clear Stereo which seem to have a marked improvement in the SQ of these old files. I have an open mind and just use my ears.

Hello & welcome Digitalammonite.  I'm having similar problems with merged albums-most recently with WAVs.  How do you load your Z1060--drag & drop or does PowerAmp load them?  And how did you rip & load the MP3s? Does that big WAV show up as unknown artist?  Thanks for any reply.

I'm starting to get suspicious of Sony's SensMe when using non Sony apps to load the WM.  I noticed the tracks in my merged unknown album were given different "moods" than the albums they were supposed to be part of. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,992 of 4,019
My WMZ merged all my WAVs into one album, too, and my workaround was to rename my track titles to:
  1. album artist.album.track

That works OK but not well, esp when the first two designations are really long.

I used Windows Media Player to do my syncing.

I gave up on that and just synced my MP3s instead, thinking that since they have their metadata my WMZ would show their cover art as well, but that didn't happen.

My next trick is to use Sony's MediaGo to sync my MP3's, thinking that it might sync the album artwork with the tracks. Who knows, maybe it'll work.
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #1,993 of 4,019
Quote:
ok had the Amperior's on continuous burn-in for approx 11hours my WM-X & had a few little listens along the way... well I've unplugged my lil slave and connected up the WM-Z (I'll treat myself to the WM-X tomorrow when I A & B them)... firstly to cover a bit of old ground, I've been searching for a headphone for over 4-months and nothing has really met what I'm looking for in a 'portable-headphone' to match the WM-Z. The WM-Z has a massive soundstage, a very detailed sound quality and is very neutral (obviously this is to my ears).

for the technically minded all my music is uploaded from CD, SACD & MasterSound Gold-Disc into Atrac Advance Lossless 352kbps... take the following as a 'pinch of salt' because I ain't got a clue how long these will take to burn-in (any HD25 owners out there?)... ok everything is set to my favourite setting, meaning no equalization & only using the stock player, which I kinda love for it's neutral sound...

first-up is Teddy Pendergrass - The Whole Town's Laughing At Me (Love TKO CD)... first thing I notice is the opening thump, thump, thump bass drum, it's deep, Ted's voice is there by the bucket load even the warbles are showing in great detail & the mids are detailed, no make that very detailed, the hi's are struggling, they're recessed but they are there... the bass is deep but there's a cloudiness over it... nice laid-back sound for this track... there's hope for my old soul music by the looks.

next up is Pete Alderton - I'm Sad (Living on Love CD)... the first strum then twang of the guitar you just know this is going to be good, Alderton's in rich vocal form on this track, his voice is airy and has plenty of subtlety for this tune, the guitar playing is detailed & enormously enjoyable to my ears... this track really is making me think, I like these cans... a lot.

ok lets go a bit left-field, next on is The Cure - Fascination Street (Disintegration Remaster-CD)... oh my, my first real disappointment the bass & low mids are real muddied, the hi's are almost ear-achingly bad even the mids are struggling to get through, perhaps not the best track to audition a new pair of cans to but this is one of my fave albums... must admit 'Homesick' sounded pretty good, full of depth and detail... can't believe I'm listening to the same album, these cans are at present, an enigma.

ok lets see how these handle my favourite 'live' album, The Allman Brothers - Mountain Jam (At Filmore East 2CD Deluxe Edition), I know this track inside out and have been in love with it since the 70's (I'm not ready for incontinence-pants so please don't think I'm a old-fart)... from the opening bars of Duane's guitar I already know that there is real synergy between the WM-Z & the Amperior.... this is by far the best I've heard this track on any portable device... I'm into the dual drummer solo now, this is detailed, punchy and the hi's appear to be opening up, this is monitor-staringly good (in other words I'm enjoying the music instead of typing)... the bass solo with the drums is immense I kid you not.... this band is to tight and the guitar playing is simply divine and the power & dynamics of what I'm hearing is... no this is the 'dogs', I'm loving every note... ohh my Duane's slide guitar playing, christ I'd loved to of seen this guy 'live', absolutely immense - 10/10 for this track.... can't wait till these cans are burnt-in & have opened up.

at the moment I'm happy, not 'over the moon' but I'm happy with what I'm hearing... more tomorrow.

Good choice with Teddy and The Cure. I would think Disintegration would test your phones the most given the complexity of the album. Check out Lee Fields and Charles Bradley if you like Soul music. I bought Lee Field's new album and it sounds great at 320 kbps, although lossless would be better.

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #1,994 of 4,019
Quote:

Yeah, I put the display on the lowest setting, then winced at how dim it seemed compared to full brightness, then adjustted to the lower brightness and have lived happily ever after.

I've also been using an Android Task Manager (I think it's this one) and it's been useful for task-killing.

I tried using Fast Reboot as it works so well with my Droid X2 but with my WMZ it kept causing a pop-up error message which wasn't problematic but it was annoying so I uninstalled it.

So, I think I'll get better battery life now even with my simultaneous www browsing and music listening.

Well, for the brightness setting, I have felt how inferior it was at the lowest setting compared to the higher ones, but I leave it at the lowest and eventually got used to it. Yes, task-killing also helps :wink:

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #1,995 of 4,019
Quote:
Good choice with Teddy and The Cure. I would think Disintegration would test your phones the most given the complexity of the album. Check out Lee Fields and Charles Bradley if you like Soul music. I bought Lee Field's new album and it sounds great at 320 kbps, although lossless would be better.

I'll check your recommendations out on Spotify, cheers for that.... 60/70's soul is a great love of mine, Stax, Tamla plus The Dells, Delfonics, Dorothy Moore, Chi-lites, Harold Melvin etc etc

Got a real love of rock music old & new... love acoustic blues, contemporary-folk, jam-band and mountain jam-bands.... also have a great feel for music from my parents generation... house always had music on back then, think that's why my music taste is wide... that said I'm not a lover of rap, hip-hop or that crap synthesized voiced dance music that seems to fill the airwaves, makes me think I was brought up during the golden age of music, when you needed talent to make it.... I'm digressing...

back to the Amperiors.... not changed so radically today, the mids are a massive strong point with these, real nice.... bass is still lacking real definition still stifled and cloudy but it's deep... hi's are really struggling to come to the fore... hmmm... nice sound though and definitely the best on-ear headphones I've owned.... gonna try and get 200hrs on these in the next two weeks as I'm loaning my WM-Z to a hi-fi dealer for a week (they've got an event on, thought I'd let him show iPod users what they're missing out on), in return they're going to get in Beyer DT1350's & Audio-Technica ES10 for me to compare (they might be able to sneak me a listen to B&W's new P3).... this was always going to be on the cards when I got my Amp's... I'm also thinking of amping the WM-Z with the ALO RX3 (I'm in discussions with them over that one on compatibility & the dreaded hiss question, which I really can't tolerate any more).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back