New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 11, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,026 of 4,204
The second A306 arrived today. It shipped out from the same Amazon warehouse at the same time as my first one, but they got separated in Germany for some reason.

Anyway, this second one (with a really low serial number) does have the issue, and the difference is very noticeable. I'm in the slightly odd position of having two of these in front of me — one with the issue, one without — to perform direct comparisons with, at least until Monday when the bad one will be going back. Let me know if I can do anything interesting to compare (that won't affect my ability to return it — no disassemblies! :p).

1000095: A306 | YY1301B1 | Black | EU | REW Graphed : issue

a306-1000095-REW.png

walkmans.jpg

I wish I had some ideas to test... :wink: Maybe graph both on the same graph for a direct comparison with all else being the same. This way no one can say we measured wrong.

Mar 11, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #2,027 of 4,204
It's interesting to note that the NW-A306 isn't currently listed on Amazon Japan--at least, not by default. Google is more revealing, indicating that Amazon Japan recently marked the A306 as not in stock. It's a similar situation with Amazon U.S.: the A306 is invisible. Indeed, although Sony U.S. lists the A306 on its website, you guessed it: it's out of stock. Meanwhile, the ZX707 seems readily available.

It certainly appears that something is happening. Perhaps Sony has decided to suspend sale of the A306 until it can incorporate a fix.
It is if you set a Japanese postcode such as 100-0000 (how I got it to show to add to buyee cart when I imported mine from Amazon Japan). Been that way for about 1 month, hides listing if your Amazon default delivery address not local to Japan

1678545542912.png

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #2,028 of 4,204
The second A306 arrived today. It shipped out from the same Amazon warehouse at the same time as my first one, but they got separated in Germany for some reason.

Anyway, this second one (with a really low serial number) does have the issue, and the difference is very noticeable. I'm in the slightly odd position of having two of these in front of me — one with the issue, one without — to perform direct comparisons with, at least until Monday when the bad one will be going back. Let me know if I can do anything interesting to compare (that won't affect my ability to return it — no disassemblies! :p).

a306-1000095-REW.png

walkmans.jpg
Graph the bad one with clear audio option enabled as mentioned above to see who it compares ? Do same on the perfect flat one too.

Mar 11, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #2,029 of 4,204

a306-1000095-REW.png

walkmans.jpg
You just made those look a lot smaller to me. Now I kinda want one :)

Mar 11, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #2,030 of 4,204

a306-1000095-REW.png

walkmans.jpg
Great-this is an unique opportunity to show Sony we’re not delirious. Keep both documented with the REW graphing. I would also suggest the following assuming you have a Line In available : record in Audacity (for example) the same track rich in bass (like Leonard Cohen I’m Your Man or Madredeus “Electrónico” O Mar 5th track) or whatever you find and like - in same conditions I.e. direct on and same recording level @24Bit 44.1Khz. If you can later share both .WAV files we can run a spectrum plot in both to compare.

Mar 11, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #2,031 of 4,204
If somehow you could identify the software kernels of both units and see if there's any difference. But I don't know android. I'm sure they're identical inside and you'd be hard pressed to find a wrong resistor or cap, they're matched and so small.

As far as serial number, nope thought about that long ago. There's ones without it with very low serial numbers. But yes at least there's 2 documented at the same time. And I bet it's a big difference, it's cutting almost half the frequency band by 10db. Like comparing a chipmunk squeak to a lions roar 😀

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #2,032 of 4,204
It is if you set a Japanese postcode such as 100-0000 (how I got it to show to add to buyee cart when I imported mine from Amazon Japan). Been that way for about 1 month, hides listing if your Amazon default delivery address not local to Japan

psikey, thanks for the tip. You may be right; however, please keep in mind that both the ZXZ707 and the A105 are easy to find. It appears that only the A306 is invisible. The A306 is also listed as sold out, not only on Amazon Japan but on several major sites in the U.S.

Supply shortages could be a factor. Still, it seems peculiar. Considering the overall situation, is it possible that Sony is quietly withdrawing the A306?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #2,033 of 4,204
Graph the bad one with clear audio option enabled as mentioned above to see who it compares ? Do same on the perfect flat one too.

Here is my bad A306 with Clearaudio enabled. Blue is Direct, red is with Clearaudio enabled. The noise in Clearaudio must really be there; I ran it several times to be sure.

clearaudio.png

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #2,034 of 4,204
psikey, thanks for the tip. You may be right; however, please keep in mind that both the ZXZ707 and the A105 are easy to find. It appears that only the A306 is invisible. The A306 is also listed as sold out, not only on Amazon Japan but on several major sites in the U.S.

Supply shortages could be a factor. Still, it seems peculiar. Considering the overall situation, is it possible that Sony is quietly withdrawing the A306?
Yesterday Amazon Germany was showing “ 3 in stock (more to come)” and today is showing available without further comment

Attachments

• D457F0B7-12F4-44A1-8436-1DD9DE981639.jpeg
    D457F0B7-12F4-44A1-8436-1DD9DE981639.jpeg
    576 KB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #2,036 of 4,204
Great-this is an unique opportunity to show Sony we’re not delirious. Keep both documented with the REW graphing. I would also suggest the following assuming you have a Line In available : record in Audacity (for example) the same track rich in bass (like Leonard Cohen I’m Your Man or Madredeus “Electrónico” O Mar 5th track) or whatever you find and like - in same conditions I.e. direct on and same recording level @24Bit 44.1Khz. If you can later share both .WAV files we can run a spectrum plot in both to compare.
@rlw6534: Another hint: recording can be done using only digital domain-no cables.
A) use same source for recording: using Tidal / Qobuz select Sony Walkman as output (assuming it is in USB DAC mode Direct ON). Also in Tidal/Qobuz etc settings make sure is NOT in Exclusive Mode otherwise Audacity will throw an error
B) In audacity choose Sony Walkman loopback as recording input and configure for 24/44.1 enough for the test
C) hit record in audacity and play in the playing app
Do for good and bad devices saving the recordings

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #2,037 of 4,204
Here is my bad A306 with Clearaudio enabled. Blue is Direct, red is with Clearaudio enabled. The noise in Clearaudio must really be there; I ran it several times to be sure.

Doesn't cancel out the bass drop then.

Mar 11, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #2,038 of 4,204
What cable is that? :) I ordered a Tripowin Zonie, which I read "might fit", which it does, but not snuggly enough imho, so I will end up modding it (cuting the plastic), but I need a plan b, in case that doesn't work, and your cable looks good ^^
So I received my IE200 yesterday and listened all night! You are right this is a good pair with the a306 and IE200. They are a bit lower in volume compared to my Fiio FH5s as I noticed I have to raised my volume about 5-7 more steps but that still doesn’t bother me. The sound is very neutral and close to reference from what I can tell. Bass is smooth flowing and highs are snappy snd precise and not so scratchy. They are very comfortable to wear also being more compact and lightweight! I also would like to change the cable and also purchased the zipowin zonie cable but it was not snug enough for my liking… The left iem would keep disconnecting with enough force. So I ended up using the cable with my Fiio’s instead because I do like the cable much better lol. Overall I am very happy with the combo a306 and IE200. Once you get the right tips (using spinfit W1) and I get a cable that will fit them properly.. it will be my go to for certain music like rock, alternative, jazz and the Fiio’s if I want more bass heavy music like hip hop or edm. As a side note.. music was even more exciting with the iE200s when I linked them up to my btr5 and the a306 via Bluetooth and was listening to my music over hi res LDAC 😁. If you do end up modding the cable or iems so the cable does fit properly please let me know if it works out for you! Too scared to try that now lol.

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #2,039 of 4,204
@rlw6534: Another hint: recording can be done using only digital domain-no cables.
A) use same source for recording: using Tidal / Qobuz select Sony Walkman as output (assuming it is in USB DAC mode Direct ON). Also in Tidal/Qobuz etc settings make sure is NOT in Exclusive Mode otherwise Audacity will throw an error
B) In audacity choose Sony Walkman loopback as recording input and configure for 24/44.1 enough for the test
C) hit record in audacity and play in the playing app
Do for good and bad devices saving the recordings

OK. I found a sweep file on Qobuz and played it using the USB loopback (digital) and the headphone port (analog). I don't know exactly what the curve is supposed to look like but it's interesting that analog is showing the bass drop compared to the digital. The overall levels aren't perfectly matched but you can see the shape difference clearly. I have no idea what that means...

Digital Sweep:

digitalsweep.png

Analog sweep:

analog sweep.png

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #2,040 of 4,204
So it looks like the digital amp is producing the perfect form as you'd expect. It's after conversion of the pcm that the deficiencies are so either a filter or something in the output stage are corrupting the signal. High frequency waves are used to amplify the signal and then are removed via a filter it's possible this filter isn't working properly and not all of the analog signal is making to the headphone out.

Or there is a defective or wrong value cap most likely (wrong value) in the output chain. And Sony might have another filter in the chain, idk. All speculation, at this point but with this we know the amp is performing its job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back