New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 11, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #4,096 of 4,122
Everything seems snappier after the FW update. Nice!

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #4,097 of 4,122
Bought a shell case from Amazon by a company called FATBEAR to protect my A306. Not only does it protect but the buttons are easier to press and fits better in my large hands.

20240321-140855.jpg

20240321-140829.jpg

20240321-140914.jpg
I use the same case and love it for the most part, except that it seems to prevent me using a screen protector. It presses in such a way that they screen protector lifts up around the edges. Especially when you press buttons. Just wondering if you’ve tried a screen protector and know of one that works with that fatbear case. I haven’t looked for a while. Something thinner would probably work but the thick glass protectors don’t seem to play with these cases.

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #4,098 of 4,122
I use the same case and love it for the most part, except that it seems to prevent me using a screen protector. It presses in such a way that they screen protector lifts up around the edges. Especially when you press buttons. Just wondering if you’ve tried a screen protector and know of one that works with that fatbear case. I haven’t looked for a while. Something thinner would probably work but the thick glass protectors don’t seem to play with these cases.
I used this screen protector.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioPartner...878563&sprefix=nw-a306+screen+,aps,106&sr=8-3

It went on well and no lifting for me. Good luck

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #4,099 of 4,122
One unique ability of the IER-M9 is its ability to maintain a coherent frequency balance even when you push the volume to very high levels
You nailed it. This is definitely its forte.

The M9 also sounds ethereal, but in a good way not like any of the electrostatic stuff. There is no IEM that sounds quite like it.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #4,100 of 4,122
I have just noticed (I'm not using wifi too often) is that there's interference/noise in the left channel wherever wifi transfer is active (it's audible even with mediocre chi-fi IEMs). I've seen this mentioned in some early NW-A306 reviews. How widespread is this?

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #4,103 of 4,122
Thanks, I have downloaded and will test. The biggest problem I have with my WH-1000XM5’s on the NW-A306 is listening to a stream on say Apple Music with the Bluetooth set to high quality. That though is a minor gripe and not a deal beaker.

Between the firmware updates on the A306 and also the XM5s, the bluetooth stability at 990/909 seems to be better. It still skips at first but then settles in. Also it still skips if you start using any other app or browse around. But if you start playing, turn off the screen and leave it alone it seems to do OK.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #4,105 of 4,122
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #4,106 of 4,122
You can always find the latest firmware link in this xml file:

https://info.update.sony.net/PA001/NW-A300Series_0000/info/info.xml
Hello, and thank you for this hint @rlw6534 ! Great it found firmware update direct downloads lol :D so I get similar issue with my NW-A306 European version, because you know limitation of volth "ume cap and annoyng info pop up for "check volume levels" on device will stop current playback and it reset to volume level at value of 50 if you keep play music at > 120 for a while (example scenario when connect walkman to hi-fi amplifers or bluetooth speaker, is very annoyng and out of mind statement follow by Sony for "respect" EU lawyers (very fool for me) Unluckly I bought EU version and found the isse later, but when I emailed to Sony support and explain issue, ask if available firmware swap from technical customer service, it said "it's impossible to do for us" :D phew, so I follow you link and downloaded some UPD files and I try to update device by myself. Well for version 0000 (world) update is done successfully but the EU tedious "check volume level" still happen, with version 0001 UPD (Japan) the update start and stop after seconds, give it up, not allow to overwrite some stuff I really want to overwrite I guess, :D fr version 0003 (Brazil) update starts, when done reboot ad hang to bootloop after load, boot loop with "device is starting" display message, luckly I get resumed from bootloop by doing a trick when connected USB cable to pc, force dialog box asking USB mode selection, and landing to home XD . After this update problem still happen, Well at this time I writing, I need help to find full ROM image for NW-A306 Japanese to directly flash stock image trough Android Recovery stage. Yes I discover service menu (power on device by holding volume down key among power button). So finally my question is there a way to grab full stock rom from Sony server or is a way to tweak files from ADB/ recovery mode. For me is hard to get skilled enough to make thing other than flash firmware to device, I'm not a developer or programmer, just a nerd :D but I like to try ROM swap on this device! Hope foun a way to go in this forum community, only one I found very good arund the web. Thank you.

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #4,107 of 4,122
Hello, and thank you for this hint @rlw6534 ! Great it found firmware update direct downloads lol :D so I get similar issue with my NW-A306 European version, because you know limitation of volth "ume cap and annoyng info pop up for "check volume levels" on device will stop current playback and it reset to volume level at value of 50 if you keep play music at > 120 for a while (example scenario when connect walkman to hi-fi amplifers or bluetooth speaker, is very annoyng and out of mind statement follow by Sony for "respect" EU lawyers (very fool for me) Unluckly I bought EU version and found the isse later, but when I emailed to Sony support and explain issue, ask if available firmware swap from technical customer service, it said "it's impossible to do for us" :D phew, so I follow you link and downloaded some UPD files and I try to update device by myself. Well for version 0000 (world) update is done successfully but the EU tedious "check volume level" still happen, with version 0001 UPD (Japan) the update start and stop after seconds, give it up, not allow to overwrite some stuff I really want to overwrite I guess, :D fr version 0003 (Brazil) update starts, when done reboot ad hang to bootloop after load, boot loop with "device is starting" display message, luckly I get resumed from bootloop by doing a trick when connected USB cable to pc, force dialog box asking USB mode selection, and landing to home XD . After this update problem still happen, Well at this time I writing, I need help to find full ROM image for NW-A306 Japanese to directly flash stock image trough Android Recovery stage. Yes I discover service menu (power on device by holding volume down key among power button). So finally my question is there a way to grab full stock rom from Sony server or is a way to tweak files from ADB/ recovery mode. For me is hard to get skilled enough to make thing other than flash firmware to device, I'm not a developer or programmer, just a nerd :D but I like to try ROM swap on this device! Hope foun a way to go in this forum community, only one I found very good arund the web. Thank you.

I don't know of a way to get full firmware files for ADB/fastboot flashing.

The consensus is that the volume cap won't change by updating to different region firmwares, although I haven't tried. My A306 is Japanese version so I haven't messed with it. Sorry I couldn't help.

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #4,108 of 4,122
The experience from the 1st gen Walkmans is that the volume cap is controlled by the Region Code. This is not changed by the firmware. i.e. Doesn't matter which country firmware you load, the Region Code will not be changed. The Rockbox tool is able to easily change the Region Code on 1st gen, non-android Walkmans.

In the current Gen 2 walkmans, the firmware also does not affect the Region Code, so the volume cap cannot be removed by changing the firmware.
As to getting a full ROM image, nobody has been able to get one.

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #4,109 of 4,122
The experience from the 1st gen Walkmans is that the volume cap is controlled by the Region Code. This is not changed by the firmware. i.e. Doesn't matter which country firmware you load, the Region Code will not be changed. The Rockbox tool is able to easily change the Region Code on 1st gen, non-android Walkmans.

In the current Gen 2 walkmans, the firmware also does not affect the Region Code, so the volume cap cannot be removed by changing the firmware.
As to getting a full ROM image, nobody has been able to get one.
Thank you so much for clarification about how to work volume cap by region code, I finally understand this :D Now I'm under messing up with adb, first making backup of allowed thing downloadable from walkman, then I try to lear about remove some android component, do some trial and error and of coure if I discover sometimes of interesting thing about change regional code on nw-a306, I'll post here.
Oh and I want to call directly my local Sony customer technical support lab, and ask for "unofficial" way to do region code swap... yes was probabily useless make a question to Sony technican, but I will ask anyway :D

Again thank you @ttt123 and @rlw6534 for kind reply.

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #4,110 of 4,122
Thank you so much for clarification about how to work volume cap by region code, I finally understand this :D Now I'm under messing up with adb, first making backup of allowed thing downloadable from walkman, then I try to lear about remove some android component, do some trial and error and of coure if I discover sometimes of interesting thing about change regional code on nw-a306, I'll post here.
Oh and I want to call directly my local Sony customer technical support lab, and ask for "unofficial" way to do region code swap... yes was probabily useless make a question to Sony technican, but I will ask anyway :D

Again thank you @ttt123 and @rlw6534 for kind reply.
This is the Rockbox tool for Sony. It may give you some clues as to where the Region Code is located.

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back