New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 21, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #4,111 of 4,122
Thank you so much for clarification about how to work volume cap by region code, I finally understand this :D Now I'm under messing up with adb, first making backup of allowed thing downloadable from walkman, then I try to lear about remove some android component, do some trial and error and of coure if I discover sometimes of interesting thing about change regional code on nw-a306, I'll post here.
Oh and I want to call directly my local Sony customer technical support lab, and ask for "unofficial" way to do region code swap... yes was probabily useless make a question to Sony technican, but I will ask anyway :D

Again thank you @ttt123 and @rlw6534 for kind reply.

This information might be useful also:

https://github.com/notcbw/2019_android_walkman

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #4,112 of 4,122
Everything seems snappier after the FW update. Nice!
Hm, not here (A306 uncapped Japan version). Ok-ish snappy as ever but, booting is still as slow as a glacier (50sec), as it was from the beginning w/ FW 1. Even the Sony Walkman app still takes 7sec to be ready. PowerAmp was much faster (not used/installed anymore because the Sony Walkman app sounds better to my ears, in direct mode). I don't have a single app on my Samsung phone that needs anywhere near that much time, esp not those from Samsung, i.e., from the device's manufacturer.
Sony, it's just an Android music player/streamer. What the h... is it doing while booting? Calculating the trajectory to Mars in case NASA wants to take one with them? Stop this, NASA will do the math anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #4,113 of 4,122
Sony Walkman app still takes 7sec to be ready.
Try to deactivate all apps, and switch off all system settings services, like geolocalization, graphichs enancements etc. Or restore to factory setting first, then make initial setup offline, not syncing your google account, and after that, do deactivate all apps, leave only music player and equalizer. I see from adb shell, top cpu and mem usage % at playback HR is fine on my a306 when all other app is deactivated is around 11% of total cpu power. Onboard hardware is fine enough for me, about 60 secs. From power on to land in player app .

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #4,114 of 4,122
Thank you very much for your efforts, Babiz80, but I checked or did all this already. Btw, I'm below the 60 secs that you think is ok. I do not. I don't understand why it's too much to ask that you can just turn on a simple player and start using it immediately. I understand it technically given this firmware/software design but I don't see why such devices need to be programmed so inefficiently. My Sony camera can do gigantically more and is instantly there when I switch it on.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #4,115 of 4,122
Thank you very much for your efforts, Babiz80, but I checked or did all this already. Btw, I'm below the 60 secs that you think is ok. I do not. I don't understand why it's too much to ask that you can just turn on a simple player and start using it immediately. I understand it technically given this firmware/software design but I don't see why such devices need to be programmed so inefficiently. My Sony camera can do gigantically more and is instantly there when I switch it on.
Ok man, I understand you too 😅 You can also leave walkman still powered on and keep connected to usb charger when nit used is another approach... But android os is very hunger of power because trought years is evolved to give all security standars needed by globalization's. All is done not for great user experience indeed is a way to protect industrial rights in world market.
I agree with you but if no open dource solution is currently available for a306 hardware then better sell it, rooting device is a pain because nothing bootloader rom / adb fastboot is around for download at this time. Brick device is easy if you not get full rom backup before. I guess maybe later at end of life cycle something will be possible to do, hopeful!
Regards.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #4,116 of 4,122
Well, the first problem is that it is not a simple player.
It has to handle 256GB - 1+ TB of music database, scan/modify/create a database, so the user will not swear because the database is not accurate, prepare the Android environment, which has to handle the 1001+ features, updates, synchronizations, initialize/check/sync all the processes and apps that need to start up, prepare and scan all the wifi, Bluetooth settings/users/environments, and on and on and on, and on.
The CPU basically runs flat out at 100% to initialize and start up the environment. All done in a burst, so that the user will be disturbed as little as possible, and will have a perfect setup every time. All they have to do is press a button to start the process, and wait a bit. Everything that is done probably uses 1000+ times more processing power than the computers that handled the Apollo mission to the moon in the '60s.

Yes, it would be great if it could be done instantaneously, in under 1 sec. But not possible with today's technology.
Could we ask that users start the boot of the device first thing, before they go to the washroom, get a glass of water/coffee, check their mail. By the time they look at the DAP, it will have "magically" finished it's startup, and be waiting patiently to serve you?

More directly to your request, there are DAPs that start up almost instantly. I have had, and still have some. In general, they are exactly what you are asking for, a simple player that just plays music. AND VERY LITTLE ELSE.
- The simplest had no wifi or bluetooth, limited to 128GB microSD card (FAT32 only), no touch screen, a very simple User Interface, etc. Firmware updates are done using a small microSD card formatted a certain way. Music was on a slightly larger microSD card formatted another way. The UI (User Interface) was definitely not sophisticated. The controls required that you get used to them, as that was the only option. No APP Store, and absolutely no streaming. Don't even think of Youtube.
Some of these players rewarded you with "music", for which you forgave them all their unfriendliness, lack of options, etc., etc.
Unfortunately, not all were musical, in spite of all the drawbacks that you had to put up with.

So you do have a choice. Pick one of the SIMPLE players, and you can get a short, almost instantaneous startup.

Or leave the Sony on all the time, and there is no startup delay. In fact, many users of the 1st gen WM1A/Z left them on for months/years without ever shutting them off, unless they were doing a FW update, or just doing a periodic restart to clean up the crap that builds up in the OS over time.
The Sony is a modern, sophisticated machine that is stable, and sounds very good. The minute that it takes to start up? Would be nice if it were shorter. But you can work around that. The payback is that it plays music very well.

In any case, about the long startup, in the immortal words of Bart Simpson: "Don't have a cow, man"

1.9s
The Simpsons S27E09

1.9s
1713977451904.png

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #4,119 of 4,122
I have an A306 (1tb) and a ZX300 (500gb), I will either choose which one to keep or at a later point get another 1tb card. For now, I find myself using the ZX300 more so I'm considering swapping cards. As it is recommended to format the cards within each intended device, will a swap of cards from android to Sony OS and vice versa be an issue at all? I might change my mind and swap back, so I don't want to go through the lengthy reformat and transfer process.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #4,122 of 4,122
I have an A306 (1tb) and a ZX300 (500gb), I will either choose which one to keep or at a later point get another 1tb card. For now, I find myself using the ZX300 more so I'm considering swapping cards. As it is recommended to format the cards within each intended device, will a swap of cards from android to Sony OS and vice versa be an issue at all? I might change my mind and swap back, so I don't want to go through the lengthy reformat and transfer process.
Don't think it matters, between Sony DAPs, as I would expect that the format would be to optimize memory management, which would be the same for all their DAPs.
I would also think that a microSD formatted on a Sony, would be adequate for DAPs from other manufacturers also. Vice versa, I am not sure, as I would trust Sony engineering more.

Or if the card has been in use for a long time, with many additions/deletions done over time, then it may be worth the effort to do a reformat, as a means to refresh/optimize the file system, detect bad sectors, etc.

Of course the above are assumptions/best guess. Good enough for the moment, until further data comes along, or you are curious enough to test whether it is really true or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back