New Sennheiser Headphones
Nov 19, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #16 of 91
SE, the reason for the 1khz upper limit is that is getting close to the quarter wave dimensions inside the earcup. From that point on up it is very difficult to keep the phasing right. The rule of thumb for the desired cancellation wave was 180 deg shift, within 10 degrees (or maybe it was 10 percent, I'd better go check).

gerG

Nov 19, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #17 of 91
I'll be curious to try the new noise cancelling model. I have a pair of the old model, but they give me an ear ache. Also, no noise dampening since they don't cover your ear. I have been using the etymotics for air travel, but sometimes they are just too darn isolating.

So how do the 250s compare to the 451's?

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #18 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
SE, the reason for the 1khz upper limit is that is getting close to the quarter wave dimensions inside the earcup. From that point on up it is very difficult to keep the phasing right. The rule of thumb for the desired cancellation wave was 180 deg shift, within 10 degrees (or maybe it was 10 percent, I'd better go check).

gerG

Thanks gerG!! I spoke with the guy at Bose and he mentioned something about a legal issue with blocking out full spectrum sound. I asked if regular common, run-of-the-mill ear plugs did that and don't get sued if someone uses them while driving, so why should Bose?? Needless to say he didn't have a good answer!!! So, I eargerly await to hear if it is actually possible as one day someone might actually do it if so. I know I'd buy a set if they produced one!!!!!!

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #20 of 91
Drool on guys:-
biggrin.gif

http://www.avguide.ch/test/index.cfm?show=detail&id=88 (in German)

http://www.dkvascom.co.kr/headphone/new_px.htm (in Korean)

Nov 19, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #21 of 91
Ze-Ant,

That was quick!! Senn must have let tons of people listen to and try out these things well in advance so that the publicity would be built up quite to be released in a wave right after the announcement was made.

Good job Sennheiser!!!! Keep making good products and we'll keep buying them!!!

Nov 19, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #23 of 91
I'm more curious as to how the lower models sound as compared to the KSC-35.

Nov 19, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #24 of 91
I like the look a lot, and if the 100 and 200 are really better than the Porta Pros (my current portable), I think I'm gonna be looking at these.

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Uh oh. Now the makers of the stock headphones bundled with Walkmans are really pissed off! They tried all they could to improve the sound quality of their products - but too little, too late.

Nah, I doubt they're mad at any bit of this, because these phones retail for $50 and up. That's not going to get everyone who doesn't like the original phones because to those who just want to replace those think $20 is a high enough price to go to.

Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
gerG!! I spoke with the guy at Bose and he mentioned something about a legal issue with blocking out full spectrum sound. I asked if regular common, run-of-the-mill ear plugs did that and don't get sued if someone uses them while driving, so why should Bose??

Legal difference between creating something meant to block out full spectrum and something that just naturally does it due to it's physical fit? I dunno, just guessin.

Nov 19, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #25 of 91
I think that the Bose guy was on the right track, but headed the wrong direction. One of the main benefits to NC phones is that they let some of the noise in. That makes conversation possible, and leaves some directional perception so that we look the right direction when we hear the car coming at us.

NC above 1 to 2 khz not only gets very difficult, it becomes moot. At what point do you just switch to earplugs, or Etys?

I had a thought a few days ago. I bet Don Wilson can add a feature to the ER4 that lets in some HF biased background noise, while still blocking LF and keeping a good seal. Imagine Etys with only 10 to 15db of isolation. I will go beg.

gerG

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #27 of 91
One question I have, as the semi-proud owner of the HD497, are the cords gonna hold out. My 497's sound great when both channels work, which is less often as time goes on. I looked at the pics of these new models, and the cords look similar to the ones on mine: very frail. Any thoughts on this, esp. since these are meant to be folded and carried around.

Nov 21, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #28 of 91
excellent my dads been looking for something small (in contrast to his hp890's
smily_headphones1.gif
) but like most people it just wouldnt be right to get something that sounded worse than my ksc-35's (cant bear to have second best
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back