New Sennheiser 650's and amp questions.
May 26, 2011 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

VinylStar

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum, i've been reading about headphones and amps for a few weeks now, and this site contributed majorly to my choice to buy some sennheiser hd 650's. I have found them very deep and impactful on the low-end, caressing in the mid range and very easy on the high end. I am currently powering them of my 2010 mac book pro and was actually surprised by how good they ran.

My question really is in two parts:

1. How much of a benefit would i get in purchasing a low to mid range amp (under 300 dollars) to the clarity, soundstage etc.
2. What are some good amps that fit into that price range.

I was looking on the internet and found this little usb soundcard, was wondering if that would be powerful enough for the hd 650's!?

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?sort=2a&products_id=49765

Thanks for your time guys, great advice on the hd 650's, they are truly amazing. 

May 26, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 7
That Creative amp doesn't look too bad, they are creating (no pun) themselves a good reputation at the budget end.

How about the fiio E7/E9 combo? this one is tried and tested and seems to be popular. I've got the E7 and think it is has a great dac for the price. On it's own its not really powerful enough to bring the 650's out of themselves, but with the E9 amp it should.  

May 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
That Creative amp doesn't look too bad, they are creating (no pun) themselves a good reputation at the budget end.

How about the fiio E7/E9 combo? this one is tried and tested and seems to be popular. I've got the E7 and think it is has a great dac for the price. On it's own its not really powerful enough to bring the 650's out of themselves, but with the E9 amp it should.  

x2! I havve it, and it's great! Be sure to burn in the HD650's though! I got mine used :)

MacKat

May 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:

X3? 
biggrin.gif

A great combo within your budget. Good for a start. 

May 26, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 7
yes, if you have 300 usd to spend for it, E7/E9 is probably your best choice

May 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 7
An used Headroom Micro could be another choice, if you're on a tight budget. 

May 26, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
yes, if you have 300 usd to spend for it, E7/E9 is probably your best choice

Damn, I have to correct myself here. I've been getting used to FiiO being the best bang for the buck, but I came to realise Audio GD's NFB-12 is even better (Wolfson 8740 DAC vs Wolfson 8741)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back