New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 6, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #6,886 of 9,484
Can you read?.....I clearly stated that if you felt this was "dangerous" then use an Audiophile fuse. Better fusing and removing of LEDs is not a whim.....these are proven tweaking techniques that lower distortion......just as the guy with the Gungnir described. Most people are conservative.....me, the first thing I do when I get a new piece of gear is to remove the cover and make a list of the things I am going to change almost right away (before burn in). Once you know what does what then you just have to do it. Most here have no clue as to what I am saying.....I am speaking a different language (tweakease). A very few will try what I say and get the benefits.....your call. As long as you can put it back to stock in case there is a problem....then why not? Nothing risked, nothing gained.

Please share your proof of the audible improvements realized by removing LEDs.

May 6, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #6,889 of 9,484

Can you read?.....I clearly stated that if you felt this was "dangerous" then use an Audiophile fuse. 

Better fusing and removing of LEDs is not a whim.....these are proven tweaking techniques that lower distortion......just as the guy with the Gungnir described.  Most people are conservative.....me, the first thing I do when I get a new piece of gear is to remove the cover and make a list of the things I am going to change almost right away (before burn in).  Once you know what does what then you just have to do it.  Most here have no clue as to what I am saying.....I am speaking a different language (tweakease).  A very few will try what I say and get the benefits.....your call.  As long as you can put it back to stock in case there is a problem....then why not?  Nothing risked, nothing gained.

I too follow a similar path, but I wait until I have a good idea how the stock device performs first.

That way I have a comparator to know what and how things do change.
It also gives me and the device time to fully settle in and get past the infant mortality stage of use, where a warranty situation might be helpful (or hopefully not be needed).

In another post I referred to us as users, vs. a manufacturer, vs. a reviewer, vs. an audio 'pro' (someone who makes a living at or with audio).
These different 'groups' all have different motivations, needs and uses for the equipment, and thus will treat and use the equipment differently.

As a user, the equipment is mine to do with as I see fit. And this sometimes involves using the device as a tool to learn more about the conditions and operating parameters under which I use the equipment.  Of course I must take responsibility for my actions/modifications/changes etc.  This in some cases may impact any warranty that may exist, so that factor is taken into account.

Others have differeing goals and plans for the equipment, which can make tweaking much less desireable for them.

But the point here is modifications are a DIY hobby aspect that can yield significant improvements, IF that is something worthy of your time and effort, or not.

JJ

May 6, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #6,890 of 9,484

2) Warm-Up vs. Burn-In

Mr. Moffat, I humbly request your opinion on this subject. First, my own bias: to me, burn-in represents a potential example of 'snake oil' prescription/ritual/behavior within the audio industry and community. There seems no better way to get someone 'used to' the sound of their brand new high-end purchase than telling them they need to listen to it for days on end before their own opinion can be trusted. I mean, what are we really burning-in: the equipment itself or the grey matter between our ears?

Moreover, Schiit presents itself as a company more than happy to skewer industry superstitions and dispel audio's sacred cows. As I'm sure you know, this attitude endears you to many a geeky audiophile, myself included.

So with that, I ask you to weigh-in on the matter of warm-up, burn-in, the distinction between the two, and how they – in your expert opinion – impact the Yggdrasil.

Do you recommend playing audio continuously upon first power-up of the Yggy? If so, for how long? If not, over what duration of powered-on state have you noticed the greatest shift in the Yggy's sound? Measured by your ears or by instruments?

For my own part I freely admit that I noticed a significant difference – and major improvement – in the Yggy's sound after two days of continuous power. Not signal, not operation, just power. Although, to be clear, the Yggy was locked-on to the USB input with its sample rate lights illuminated.

Thank you, in advance, for your answers!

D

He already has, multiple times. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/6600#post_11566460
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-sucks/3405#post_11460529
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-sucks/3345#post_11455570

:D

May 6, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #6,891 of 9,484
I too have played with absolute polarity in my system. The PWD has a s/w switch on the front panel and when my system is operating at full potential it is VERY easy to determine which polarity is 'correct'.

And the easiest, most pronounced change is in the extreme low end, near the subsonic range of frequencies.

This asumes that the entire system is capable of delivering this range of responses in the first place, which may or may not be realistic in some systems.

What I notice is the leading edge, especially of percussive instruments, deliver a smack or plosive impact, or not.
And once you train yourself to listen for this 'effect' you can hear it in non-percussive instruments as well.
It sounds like the leading edge of any quick responsive sound source takes on an additional degree of immediacy and 'presence'.

Once you are familiar with this aspect of the acoustic presentation it becomes much easier to notice when it's missing.
And when it is present, the net effect is enticing, to say the least.

JJ

May 6, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #6,892 of 9,484

He already has, multiple times. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/6600#post_11566460
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-sucks/3405#post_11460529
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-sucks/3345#post_11455570

:D

yeah, while we both know that, it seems like people are too lazy to click on the links we've both provided.

May 6, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #6,893 of 9,484
^This. For some tracks, I am pretty certain it's my imagination and am actually tempted to log a record of the results and see if I really am consistent across multiple listens.

However, for some recordings / some tracks, it's exactly as you said: hi-hat sounds more like the real thing (inverse polarity sounds diffuse comparatively) and all percussion instruments in general for me.

I leave it aside when doing "casual" / background listening (what of waste of fine gear for this you might say :) ) but actually have been checking this out most times when doing "critical" / focused listening.

Last: about the DAC no longer sounding like anything when the warm up journey is achieved, I can relate to that with the Total Dac, except I felt there after 4 hours, not 160. There must be some pretty tough cookies in the Iggy that resist heat :wink:.

arnaud

Thank you, arnaud, this really made my day.

I'm still waiting for my Yggdrasil to arrive here in China, it's actually in customs and this takes some time, and I'm really hoping that he is sounding like the TotalDAC. I made my experiences during trial listening to the EC BA, it was driven by the TotalDAC (and also the Vega for comparison), and what I heard was completely stunning - only the hefty price tag held me back from taking the TotalDAC home (and the fact that I already had to carry the EC BA).

Hopefully customs will finish before the weekend so that I can start to get my own impressions, also in comparison to the Vega.

Cheers

Feuergeist

May 6, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #6,894 of 9,484
  And the easiest, most pronounced change is in the extreme low end, near the subsonic range of frequencies.

What I notice is the leading edge, especially of percussive instruments, deliver a smack or plosive impact, or not.
And once you train yourself to listen for this 'effect' you can hear it in non-percussive instruments as well.
It sounds like the leading edge of any quick responsive sound source takes on an additional degree of immediacy and 'presence'.

JJ

I am not able to describe how I feel about the change in bass if not just "tighter" but the leading edge explanation is spot on. That's what I mean by "more lively".

Also, bad news but polarity does not appear consistent across 1 record and I find myself more often selecting the reverse polarity than not...

I agree that it probably takes some resolving chain and some "ears training" to perceive those subtleties easily, which is probably why most would laugh if off it was in another than Schist's product...

arnaud.

May 6, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #6,895 of 9,484
Also, bad news but polarity does not appear consistent across 1 record and I find myself more often selecting the reverse polarity than not...

This is exactly why Yggy should have come with a remote control that allows us to toggle polarity.  Of course the remote could be simple since it doesn't need a power or on-off switch.

May 6, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #6,896 of 9,484
  yeah, while we both know that, it seems like people are too lazy to click on the links we've both provided.

Funnier still is expecting MM to actually respond to these requests, which are on repeat cycle for apparent lack of doing proper homework. 

May 6, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #6,897 of 9,484

I am not able to describe how I feel about the change in bass if not just "tighter" but the leading edge explanation is spot on. That's what I mean by "more lively".

I agree that it probably takes some resolving chain and some "ears training" to perceive those subtleties easily, which is probably why most would laugh if off it was in another than Schist's product...

arnaud.

Yeah and the source material itself has to contain these very low frequency components.  They aren't all that common since (it would seem) most recordings chop off these low frequencies.  I figure it’s a hold over from the vinyl days with all analog recording equipment where these frequencies were 'problematic'.

In the digital world they pose much less of a 'problem' for the entire recording process, but the practice of chopping off the extreme bottom end seems to remain.

But there are recordings that do contain these audible 'cues' and when they are heard they always make me smile, or exclaim OH SHCIDT.

It is quite impressive when a pipe organ uses two bass notes to create a subharmonic that shakes my chest, and this on headphones no less.

Go figure.

JJ

May 6, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #6,898 of 9,484
Quantify the proof and you might get more than just a collectively tepid reaction. I'm also curious how you would "revert to stock" after shorting out the fuse with copper foil after a "problem"

but I can put the stock fuse in backwards if it makes you feel better

May 6, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #6,899 of 9,484
#30922 has arrived!  
Even ice-cold, it's an improvement in detail and speed over my Yulong DA8.  It's also not any brighter nor any more steile sounding, to my relief!
Also a surprise, the vents on the top of the Ygg are fake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back