New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Nov 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #3,511 of 9,484
I hope Yggdrasil is not released until it is 100% ready even if that means 2016.  And I'm pretty confident that's Schiit's plan too.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #3,512 of 9,484

I was just reading it, http://www.head-fi.org/t/731216/oh-schiit-its-the-end-of-the-world-announcing-ragnarok/330#post_10890316

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? Even if the Rag doesn't have the high output power of some more dedicated power amps, what impresses me is that it still takes the cake in terms of refinement, dynamics, and clarity (from that poster's review).  It's funny, when you really try to break down the cost of separates to match the capabilities of the Ragnarok, there's really no competition, and it shows just how much Rag is a true audio bargain.  The versatility is astounding, and I for one cannot wait to get to listen to this beast.  My hope is to snag a Gungnir/Ragnarok stack as my *end game* system.  Gonna be a little while yet, but certainly at the top of my very short list at this point.

yes that's what I read, lot of power and end game setup with Rag. What more impressed me is, creator also called it's is his end game.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #3,513 of 9,484
  I hope Yggdrasil is not released until it is 100% ready even if that means 2016.  And I'm pretty confident that's Schiit's plan too.

I hope its not 2016, that means I will have to think of another DAC before then. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,514 of 9,484
  I hope its not 2016, that means I will have to think of another DAC before then. 

+1, I've got a lot of other gear incoming that would benefit from an upgraded source.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,515 of 9,484

Yes.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #3,516 of 9,484
Simple answer folks: if you need a DAC upgrade before Yggdrasil is ready, then you'll need something else.  When it's ready for sale it'll be ready for you.  :)

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #3,517 of 9,484
Guys, he asked if there was any news of the release. The last news we had was Mike's estimate of Q1 2015. If it slips, it slips. End of story.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #3,519 of 9,484
Guys, he asked if there was any news of the release. The last news we had was Mike's estimate of Q1 2015. If it slips, it slips. End of story.

What does Q1 mean? 

does it mean the first quarter? Like between January and April? 

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #3,520 of 9,484
Nov 4, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #3,521 of 9,484
I suspect that the Yggy is right on track for the early 2015 release. I'll bet that Schitt is internally swamped with Raggy NPI at the moment and has zero BW for more issues. Makes good sense to get Raggy production to settle before another new product is introduced.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #3,522 of 9,484
Here we go with a Yggy status as of 4 November report:

The BOM was released to purchasing yesterday. It is intended to be final, to the point where we are betting Schiit purchasing's time that indeed it is. The parts are being ordered and will begin arriving January 2015. Also, please note I am betting our Schiit $$$ that the production will happen on a timely basis, as we will soon have the inventory in house.

There are 7 circuit boards per Yggy, one of which is doubled (the D/A and analog one). We are running version 0.99 production proto revs of each board. Four of the six board revisions are complete; the last two will be finished within another week. The intention is to build four production protos in the next 3-4 weeks. We can evaluate them and make any minor changes and order production circuit boards for delivery in January, with the rest of the Yggy inventory.

All that will remain then will be to schedule the boards with our board production house and do final assembly here. Of course, as with any new product, we will have to figure out the most efficient way to schedule, pretest, assemble them, and get them out the door.

Really still looks like 1Q 2015. If I appear to be sanguine, it is because I have been building articles of this complexity for a very long time. In all fairness, this product is an improved and timely version of products I have built in the past.

The Raggy, on the other hand, was a product conceived in a vacuum that was a total first of a kind; there were no prior precedents or known path to follow. That meant it took us quite a bit longer to figure out exactly what we were doing on a trial and error basis. The unfortunate death of Jason's father just as the product was crowning put a final delay on everything. Further, the consequences of a Raggy failure involve considerably more noise and smoke than that of a D2A.

I will follow up on this as soon as I have more info to report. Thanks!!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 4, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,523 of 9,484
Thanks for the status report on the yggy, it is very much appreciated. You audio wizards at Schiit Audio are simply amazing and I will slowly save up for a yggy.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #3,524 of 9,484
  Here we go with a Yggy status as of 4 November report:

The BOM was released to purchasing yesterday. It is intended to be final, to the point where we are betting Schiit purchasing's time that indeed it is. The parts are being ordered and will begin arriving January 2015. Also, please note I am betting our Schiit $$$ that the production will happen on a timely basis, as we will soon have the inventory in house.

There are 7 circuit boards per Yggy, one of which is doubled (the D/A and analog one). We are running version 0.99 production proto revs of each board. Four of the six board revisions are complete; the last two will be finished within another week. The intention is to build four production protos in the next 3-4 weeks. We can evaluate them and make any minor changes and order production circuit boards for delivery in January, with the rest of the Yggy inventory.

All that will remain then will be to schedule the boards with our board production house and do final assembly here. Of course, as with any new product, we will have to figure out the most efficient way to schedule, pretest, assemble them, and get them out the door.

Really still looks like 1Q 2015. If I appear to be sanguine, it is because I have been building articles of this complexity for a very long time. In all fairness, this product is an improved and timely version of products I have built in the past.

The Raggy, on the other hand, was a product conceived in a vacuum that was a total first of a kind; there were no prior precedents or known path to follow. That meant it took us quite a bit longer to figure out exactly what we were doing on a trial and error basis. The unfortunate death of Jason's father just as the product was crowning put a final delay on everything. Further, the consequences of a Raggy failure involve considerably more noise and smoke than that of a D2A.

I will follow up on this as soon as I have more info to report. Thanks!!

So we are on notice, we have 3 months to fill the piggy bank!  guess we know where all the extra Christmas cash will be going!
Luckily Coal is real cheap now, so i guess we can pad the naughty list

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3,525 of 9,484

Baldr, any news you can give us about a beta test period?  Will there be an opportunity to test like there was for Ragnarok? 

The confidence of your post suggests that it may not be necessary, so I guess that's good news. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back