New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 9, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #2,101 of 9,484

Pretty much, yeah. Which is why you wouldn't want to wear them if you insist on running the Rag at full volume. Take off the earpads, take the capsules off the frames and space them apart. Or wait until Audeze releases their nearfield monitors.

Either way I don't see the point of listening to headphones at levels that would cause hearing damage or listening to headphones at normal levels but insisting on enough headroom that they could double as public address systems. HE-6 owners are famous for that latter sort of wankery.

Why would someone want to run any amp at full volume - really? 
rolleyes.gif
  Once again for the ump tenth time, it's not about volume levels or how loud you can get the headphone to go.  It's all about the quality of juice you put in it and enough of that quality juice to make them sign.  Non HE-6 owners don't have a clue - never have and I guess you never will.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,102 of 9,484

Even if we're talking about full power, Schiit Lyr is a tube amp, schiit claims it does 0.01% at 1V RMS, we're talking about a tube amp here where THD occurs naturally.... a quick look at F1 and F1J they do at 1W - 0.1% and 0.05% respectively.

Listen to one first instead of making ridiculous comments.  The Lyr?  Yes, I've heard it.  I'll pay you to keep it..

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,103 of 9,484

Listen to one first instead of making ridiculous comments.  The Lyr?  Yes, I've heard it.  I'll pay you to keep it..

Well I do agree that specs don't say everything about how it sounds because specs are mostly measured not with ears and brains but rather with a microphone and oscilloscope and other stuff. And even turntables that like some really good ones, got an SNR of 68dB which is really low, too.

However, I don't agree that Lyr is such a bad amplifier, I don't know at what setup you've tried the Lyr and maybe it couldn't drive your HE-6, but it's definitely not a bad amplifier.

Also different ears hear differently, still, based on total harmony distortion specs, the Lyr would win.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #2,105 of 9,484
Non HE-6 owners don't have a clue - never have and I guess you never will.

I agree, my ignorance is bliss. But hey, if that's what does it for you, I wish you kilowatts of the most inefficient monoblocks of luck
smile.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #2,106 of 9,484
so what's the deal with the yggdrasil? has it been put on the backburner? I'm curious what schitt can bring to the modern dac market, even though I have little use for anything more than redbook.

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #2,107 of 9,484
  This is pretty much what's wrong with Head-Fi today. No, you haven't heard it, but you don't like the way it looks so whether it sounds good or not is irrelevant.

I agree it is a silly looking piece of kit. But I've heard it in non-meet conditions, and I can attest that the sound is pretty amazing. There is a bit of over-hype happening in the Chord Hugo thread, but there are also plenty of established Head-Fiers over there discussing the product's merits. Oh, and they've heard it.

+1

I've got a Chord QuteHD DAC with a linear PSU upgrade in my home setup whose FPGA filter implementation is what makes me very interested in the Yggy offering, in combination with its R2R discrete ladder conversion.   

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2,109 of 9,484
From Jason's statements in this thread it seems it's on schedule for this year. Looks like Rag will be first to the plate, that's all...

If you look at Jason's comments somewhere about the last 15-30 pages Ygg has some very interesting ideas for sure.

so what's the deal with the yggdrasil? has it been put on the backburner? I'm curious what schitt can bring to the modern dac market, even though I have little use for anything more than redbook.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,110 of 9,484
Jun 10, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #2,112 of 9,484

Even if we're talking about full power, Schiit Lyr is a tube amp, schiit claims it does 0.01% at 1V RMS, we're talking about a tube amp here where THD occurs naturally.... a quick look at F1 and F1J they do at 1W - 0.1% and 0.05% respectively.

It is not that ridiculous comments. If it is written correctly, specifications do not lie. Say, even my Beta22's measured spec is not up to today's far less expensive amps.

The question is how relevant those specs are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back