NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Apr 15, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #1,081 of 2,168
It is absolutely beautiful for highly dynamic, acoustic recordings.

It is! I'm listening to Tierney Sutton Dancing in the Dark. Piano, upright bass, drums, vocals. I listen to lots of classical as well. Mostly Rachmaninov and Mahler this week.

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #1,082 of 2,168
It is! I'm listening to Tierney Sutton Dancing in the Dark. Piano, upright bass, drums, vocals. I listen to lots of classical as well. Mostly Rachmaninov and Mahler this week.

Nice. I hate Mahler lol. I dont see why people like him. I love Debussy!

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #1,085 of 2,168
Mahler seems to be too cliche to me. He sounds like every adventure movie soundtrack. /yawn. Maybe Im listening to the wrong recordings.

Hah hah! Given that he died in 1911, I'd say adventure movie music may sound like Mahler. I'm off to sleep. Tomorrow I'll suggest some listening

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,086 of 2,168

Mahler seems to be too cliche to me. He sounds like every adventure movie soundtrack. /yawn. Maybe Im listening to the wrong recordings.

Hah hah! Given that he died in 1911, I'd say adventure movie music may sound like Mahler. I'm off to sleep. Tomorrow I'll suggest some listening

Mahler was a truly great composer. His works deserve extended, repeated listening to fully appreciate.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #1,087 of 2,168
Mahler was a truly great composer. His works deserve extended, repeated listening to fully appreciate.

I understand. My mind is open. Hitherto, I do not like his music at all. It is my least favorite of all major classical composers. I probably need some guidance here.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,088 of 2,168

I love Mahler's music although I only know well his 2nd, 4th, 5th and 9th (Das Lied Van de Erde).  For recordings, I recommend those conducted by Bruno Walter who is my favourite conductor of Mahler.  However, since this is an audiophile level discussion thread you may prefer more modern recordings by Lenard Bernstein (who is also a much loved conducted of Mahler) because the Bruno Walter ones are quite old recordings therefore may not resonate well with a Lyr2 (just a guess, since I don't actually own a lyr yet) 

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,089 of 2,168
  I love Mahler's music although I only know well his 2nd, 4th, 5th and 9th (Das Lied Van de Erde).  For recordings, I recommend those conducted by Bruno Walter who is my favourite conductor of Mahler.  However, since this is an audiophile level discussion thread you may prefer more modern recordings by Lenard Bernstein (who is also a much loved conducted of Mahler) because the Bruno Walter ones are quite old recordings therefore may not resonate well with a Lyr2 (just a guess, since I don't actually own a lyr yet) 

I checked out those artists via Spotify and they are quite nice. Thanks. Walter's recording are noticeably not as well-mastered on Spotify. Sometimes the volume is too low and you can hear the noise floor when you raise it to appropriate listening levels. Also, a bit of intermittent distortion/noise that can be picked up. This would be a source issue rather than a Lyr 2 or headphones issue. Will be a headphone issue if you can't pick up the noise/distortion (means the sound signature of the headphones is not accurate and the coloration covers much the lower level sounds). Mahler works totally fine so far. (edit: and I do personally prefer his work heh)

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,090 of 2,168

I love all those. My current Favorites are by Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony. My most recent purchase was Mahler's Eighth Symphony (Symphony of a Thousand). Lots of vocals- one several Grammy Awards including best Classical Recording. Fantastic performance and recording! It also has the Adagio of the unfinished Symphony # 10. Quite powerful in it's own right.

I have all but Symphony 9 by MTT and all sound fantastic!
. I have 2,3,4, 5, 6 and 9 conducted by Sir Georg Solti, the audio is not a good to my ears although they are good recordings. I  also have # 9 by  Pierre Boulez and Zander-the Zander sort of wanders a bit-but sounds quite good. I think Boulez' is a tighter performance.. If you wonder why 3 versions of 9-it's because I was at a used store-and they were cheap! I like it but 1,2, 8 ,5 and 6 are more to my enjoyment.
I have #2 by Bernstein. It seems quite BASS heavy to my ears-but is a fine performance!

Das Lied Von Erde is not the same as Symphony # 9 btw. Symphony 9 is not choral whereas "The Song of the Earth" is. I assume a typo was made? However It WAS next after Symphony 8-some people think Mahler did not call it Symphony 9 because he felt that 10 symphony's was a composers limit.
I have most of them by Solti. Great performances-I heard him conduct the 5th several years ago. I also heard MTT conduct the 5th. Fantastic. I also have Ricardo Muti's Symphony #1 (my introduction to Mahler-and very sweet!)
MTT's are definitely audiophile grade! All of mine are on hybrid SACD's. 
I've not heard Bruno Walter although he knew Mahler-and conducted the posthumous debut of Symphony #9 in 1911 or 1912. Side not Mahler conducted Rachmaninov (noff) Piano Concerto #3 with Rachamaninov at the piano- Rachmaninov was highly impressed with Mahler's conducting.
I'll be picking up a recording of Das Lied and 9 by MTT in a month or so when I next attend the Symphony at Davies Symphony Hall is San Francisco, CA.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #1,091 of 2,168
This is showing me I know very little about Mahler. Okay, I will give these a try. I do like the 4th; I should have said that.

To bring this back on topic, Ill listen to Mahler out of my highly dynamic, acoustic-friendly Lyr :)

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,092 of 2,168
This is showing me I know very little about Mahler. Okay, I will give these a try. I do like the 4th; I should have said that.

To bring this back on topic, Ill listen to Mahler out of my highly dynamic, acoustic-friendly Lyr :)

Ha ha! Hi Liu. I am currently doing that with some early 60's Siemens Cca's!

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,094 of 2,168
You people have way more tubes than me. I have like three pairs for two years. Oh well...

I may have gone overboard in my first month!
I'd never planned on any tubes. Amazon may have done me a favor by sending the Lyr by mistake. I tried some NOS tubes from Rb2013's and was hooked!

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,095 of 2,168
  I love all those. My current Favorites are by Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony. My most recent purchase was Mahler's Eighth Symphony (Symphony of a Thousand). Lots of vocals- one several Grammy Awards including best Classical Recording. Fantastic performance and recording! It also has the Adagio of the unfinished Symphony # 10. Quite powerful in it's own right.

I have all but Symphony 9 by MTT and all sound fantastic!
. I have 2,3,4, 5, 6 and 9 conducted by Sir Georg Solti, the audio is not a good to my ears although they are good recordings. I  also have # 9 by  Pierre Boulez and Zander-the Zander sort of wanders a bit-but sounds quite good. I think Boulez' is a tighter performance.. If you wonder why 3 versions of 9-it's because I was at a used store-and they were cheap! I like it but 1,2, 8 ,5 and 6 are more to my enjoyment.
I have #2 by Bernstein. It seems quite BASS heavy to my ears-but is a fine performance!

Das Lied Von Erde is not the same as Symphony # 9 btw. Symphony 9 is not choral whereas "The Song of the Earth" is. I assume a typo was made? However It WAS next after Symphony 8-some people think Mahler did not call it Symphony 9 because he felt that 10 symphony's was a composers limit.
I have most of them by Solti. Great performances-I heard him conduct the 5th several years ago. I also heard MTT conduct the 5th. Fantastic. I also have Ricardo Muti's Symphony #1 (my introduction to Mahler-and very sweet!)
MTT's are definitely audiophile grade! All of mine are on hybrid SACD's. 
I've not heard Bruno Walter although he knew Mahler-and conducted the posthumous debut of Symphony #9 in 1911 or 1912. Side not Mahler conducted Rachmaninov (noff) Piano Concerto #3 with Rachamaninov at the piano- Rachmaninov was highly impressed with Mahler's conducting.
I'll be picking up a recording of Das Lied and 9 by MTT in a month or so when I next attend the Symphony at Davies Symphony Hall is San Francisco, CA.

Cool
cool.gif
. I love to see another so enthusiastic for Mahler's Music.  My introduction to Mahler was his 4th Symphony conducted by Franz Wesler-Most and London Philharmonic, which is really sweet to me. 
I really look forward sometime to hearing how Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony conduct Mahler since you say it is audiophile quality - Maybe I should purchase the Lyr2 first and then listen to it 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back