NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Sep 26, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #241 of 2,168
  dude, you are totally overreacting.

he is concerned about a popping noise that occurs after 20 seconds from turning on and when you shut down the amp. I simply stated that this sounds like normal behavior of the muting relay to me and if he is still concerned, he should contact schiit customer support... lol........?

hey, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but i think you seriously need to be a bit more careful about your tone and reactions to posts. you are kinda coming off as a really overly defensive and you are perceiving posts that are simply a neutral discussion about a topic as criticism/negative feedback towards the product when that is blatantly not the case. no one mentioned the nwavguy 'scandal' or said anything suggesting that headphones may be damaged by this amplifier. we were just addressing one person's concerns. lol!

edit: btw, popping does NOT occur with the valhalla because it does not require a muting relay due to its slow turn-on. All Lyr 1/2 do have a click/thump-type sound after 20 seconds from power-up from its mute relay, which is what I am assuming is the popping sound that OP hears. I am pretty sure what OP is describing is normal behavior and not a concern. However, I never thought that sound from turning on or off sounded like a pop, so perhaps OP is experiencing a different issue which it may be prudent to contact customer support for. lol I don't think any of this sounds inflammatory or unreasonable.

That pop is (fast) DC transiant. With Lyr, the switch delay let the amp stabilize it's DC level at the output to 0. However, it might not have the time to fully come down to - or the change of load (from infinite load to your headphones) might create a small period of instability. With Valhalla, that transiant is really slow, so instead of kicking your driver with DC making a sound (pop), the DC slowly goes up and then down to 0, making no noise.  If you want a pop with Valhalla, simply turn on the amp, wait 5 secs and plug your headphones, you'll get one too.

(correct me if I'm wrong on the technical side)

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #242 of 2,168
  That pop is (fast) DC transiant. With Lyr, the switch delay let the amp stabilize it's DC level at the output to 0. However, it might not have the time to fully come down to - or the change of load (from infinite load to your headphones) might create a small period of instability. With Valhalla, that transiant is really slow, so instead of kicking your driver with DC making a sound (pop), the DC slowly goes up and then down to 0, making no noise.  If you want a pop with Valhalla, simply turn on the amp, wait 5 secs and plug your headphones, you'll get one too.

(correct me if I'm wrong on the technical side)

Very interesting. Thank you for the info.

I've had the Valhalla pop before, but it was actually after I turned off the amp, then removed my headphones about 5 seconds after it was off and it made a pop noise. Which is kind of weird, because it was off, but I guess it powers down really slowly.

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #243 of 2,168

Very interesting. Thank you for the info.

I've had the Valhalla pop before, but it was actually after I turned off the amp, then removed my headphones about 5 seconds after it was off and it made a pop noise. Which is kind of weird, because it was off, but I guess it powers down really slowly.

Same thing as power on. On power off, DC gets from 0, to it's max DC, then back down slowly. So if you remove your headphones on DC peak, "POP"!

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #244 of 2,168
Just placed an order for the Lyr 2.  I'm hoping: Lyr + Vali = Lyr 2.
Vali microdyanamics and Lyr macrodynamics both togeter in Lyr 2.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #245 of 2,168
Lyr 2 compared to the Lyr 1 is so much more detailed and transparent.  Love the improvement.  
The only thing is, I think I liked the volume knob of the Lyr 1 better than the Lyr 2. Just a preference.  

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #247 of 2,168
Could you tell me does the lyr2 sound alot better than the asgard 2.... he400cans. I own the asgard 2 and nit very impressed

I believe you need to provide more detail as to what it is about the Asgard 2 that you find lacking to be able to get some opinions here.

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #249 of 2,168
thx. Just a little bright... it basically does not sound better than my fiio e12. The portable fiio has better bass. And I like ? It better.

If you haven't run your Asgard for about 100hrs I would reserve judgement till then. Describing an amp as having "better bass" is open to too much subjective interpretation as to get any useful opinions. Providing example songs using lossless or CD resolution and describing the relative specific bass differences between the two amps gives us the opportunity to comment. 

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #250 of 2,168
If you haven't run your Asgard for about 100hrs I would reserve judgement till then. Describing an amp as having "better bass" is open to too much subjective interpretation as to get any useful opinions. Providing example songs using lossless or CD resolution and describing the relative specific bass differences between the two amps gives us the opportunity to comment. 
thx will do

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #251 of 2,168
If anybody has listened through both the Lyr 2 and a Mad Ear HD+, I assume the latter is still the one to use with Grado 'phones?

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #252 of 2,168
I bought the Lyr 2 a few weeks ago and just today it seems when the relay switches after the initial warm up I get some DC bias out of the amp into my headphones. I thought the relays were supposed to take care of this problem, now I am unplugging and replugging to keep the headphones safe. I am worried that my headphones could get damaged. Is this normal for the lyr 2 or should you be able to leave your headphones plugged in and not get really loud clicks through the head phones on power on and power off?

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #253 of 2,168
I bought the Lyr 2 a few weeks ago and just today it seems when the relay switches after the initial warm up I get some DC bias out of the amp into my headphones. I thought the relays were supposed to take care of this problem, now I am unplugging and replugging to keep the headphones safe. I am worried that my headphones could get damaged. Is this normal for the lyr 2 or should you be able to leave your headphones plugged in and not get really loud clicks through the head phones on power on and power off?

Hearing a low level click in your headphones is normal but it should not be loud or in anyway sufficient to damage anything. If this is not the case I would contact Schiit especially if it has significantly changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back