NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Feb 24, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #1,576 of 2,168
  Ordered Lyr 2 from schiit europe last week. I'm excited to compare it to my current asgard 2. I hope it will arrive soon.

I've had both amps for a while now and both are pretty good, the Lyr2 works better with a wider range of headphones that I have so its with my main rig,  With the Lyr2 its more about finding tubes that suit your taste.  The Asgard2 is in my bedroom and used when I don't want to wake the girlfriend. 

If I had to do it over I think I would not have gotten the Asgard2, Lyr2, BH Crack, Ember and a few other amps along the way and went up the ladder to either a EC Balancing Act, Liquid Glass or Liquid Gold.  I got to hear these 3 high end amps along with a few others on a visit to a friend in Japan a few months ago and I could have gotten one of these for what I spent on all the rest.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #1,577 of 2,168
  I've had both amps for a while now and both are pretty good, the Lyr2 works better with a wider range of headphones that I have so its with my main rig,  With the Lyr2 its more about finding tubes that suit your taste.  The Asgard2 is in my bedroom and used when I don't want to wake the girlfriend. 

If I had to do it over I think I would not have gotten the Asgard2, Lyr2, BH Crack, Ember and a few other amps along the way and went up the ladder to either a EC Balancing Act, Liquid Glass or Liquid Gold.  I got to hear these 3 high end amps along with a few others on a visit to a friend in Japan a few months ago and I could have gotten one of these for what I spent on all the rest.

Not being fair comparing those high end with the mid ones :p but i understand where u r getting at. From those 4 i only tried 3 and i still prefer the Crack to any of them, was a pain to buy one and stop being jealous of my older brother crack (pun not intended).

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #1,578 of 2,168

Not being fair comparing those high end with the mid ones :p but i understand where u r getting at. From those 4 i only tried 3 and i still prefer the Crack to any of them, was a pain to buy one and stop being jealous of my older brother crack (pun not intended).

True, not a fair comparison but if you started with one then you are one and done, end game, no upgrades to consider.  As I noted, if I had started with one of those end game amps, I would have spent about the same.

The BH Crack is the best OTL amp under $500 but as good as it is the EC Balancing Act and Liquid Glass was a noticeable step up to me with HD-650/800/T1/Ether and a few other headphones that I tried them with.  Are they worth 4-5 times the cost of the Lyr2 or BH Crack, for me that answer is no, I'm getting older and my hearing is not getting better so its a easy decision.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #1,579 of 2,168

True, not a fair comparison but if you started with one then you are one and done, end game, no upgrades to consider.  As I noted, if I had started with one of those end game amps, I would have spent about the same.

The BH Crack is the best OTL amp under $500 but as good as it is the EC Balancing Act and Liquid Glass was a noticeable step up to me with HD-650/800/T1/Ether and a few other headphones that I tried them with.  Are they worth 4-5 times the cost of the Lyr2 or BH Crack, for me that answer is no, I'm getting older and my hearing is not getting better so its a easy decision.

My tight budget wont ever let me go to end-game region so for me "at most 500€" budget is something i have to hold on to. Its my reality and i accept it ^^.
My brother on the other hand has better gear but he lives in the UK so *shrug*.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #1,580 of 2,168

My tight budget wont ever let me go to end-game region so for me "at most 500€" budget is something i have to hold on to. Its my reality and i accept it ^^.
My brother on the other hand has better gear but he lives in the UK so *shrug*.

I've stopped upgrading, staying with Lyr2, BH Crack, Ember, Asgard2 and a few other cheap amps, reached my end-game.  My try a balanced amp down the road if the opportunity arises, but not actively searching.

The only time I will get any other amp is if they are given to me like the SR-009/SRM-007 pair that my friend gave to me, it was his second set that he had gotten really cheap.  Unfortunately I had to send them back to him to get them repaired, I could not check if it was the driver or amp that was the problem, hope to have them back soon.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,582 of 2,168
There are several different ways of measuring crosstalk, which will come up with very different numbers, and, as someone already noted, it may will change with different headphones connected, or depending on which output you measure it. However, I think the important point is that crosstalk as low as -65 dB is VERY low, certainly lower than you're going to find of practical difference with any source material, so there's really no point in worrying about it. 

Quote:

Not sure why they only advertise -65dB crosstalk...  Perhaps the performance changes with headphones.

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,585 of 2,168
  Have anyone had a chance to compare Lyr2 to Chord Mojo?

This is apples and oranges comparison, desktop amp vs portable DAC/amp.  Is there a reason for requesting the comparison between a portable DAC/amp and a desktop amp?  Just curious to know the circumstance for such a request.

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #1,586 of 2,168
  This is apples and oranges comparison, desktop amp vs portable DAC/amp.  Is there a reason for requesting the comparison between a portable DAC/amp and a desktop amp?  Just curious to know the circumstance for such a request.

A friend of mine has let me to listen his Mojo for a few days. That thing sounds pretty close to Lyr2/Bimby combo. Maybe a little bit leaner and colder though. I am just curious if anybody else found out that too. Since mojo doesn't have a true line out i couldn't compare amplifier sections directly. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #1,587 of 2,168
  A friend of mine has let me to listen his Mojo for a few days. That thing sounds pretty close to Lyr2/Bimby combo. Maybe a little bit leaner and colder though. I am just curious if anybody else found out that too. Since mojo doesn't have a true line out i couldn't compare amplifier sections directly.

Okay, now it makes sense for the question.  I haven't heard a Mojo but the Hugo has a better DAC section than the Bimby IMO from my short time using the Hugo.  The amp section of the Hugo is good but depending on what headphones you have I think there is better for a lot less.  Didn't do much comparisons with amps, I was more interested in the DAC section.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #1,588 of 2,168
Hi, I'm considering to buy Bifrost with Lyr 2 and I would need to know if this combo is good enough for these headphones: Audeze LCD-X, Mrspeakers Ether, Hifiman Edition X and Sennheiser HD800S. Thank you

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #1,589 of 2,168
  Hi, I'm considering to buy Bifrost with Lyr 2 and I would need to know if this combo is good enough for these headphones: Audeze LCD-X, Mrspeakers Ether, Hifiman Edition X and Sennheiser HD800S. Thank you

Are those headphones that you have, or are concidering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back