NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Jan 29, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,516 of 2,168
Moving up from a Vali 2 and Magni 2, this a pretty big noticeable upgrade? Running hd650 and 400i.

It will put weight in your huevos.

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #1,517 of 2,168
Moving up from a Vali 2 and Magni 2, this a pretty big noticeable upgrade? Running hd650 and 400i.

Maybe...I went from original Magni to Lyr2 and it was quite noticeable with HE-400 and HD-650, after I changed the tubes to some Telefunken CCa's or '75 Reflectors, currently have some Vokshod's in the Lyr2, works great with HE-400i and HE-560.  The Telefunken's are really over priced currently but as they are getting harder to find, maybe price is justified a little.  Reflector's and other tubes are much more reasonable priced, or even like those RCA's that another poster recommended.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #1,518 of 2,168

i moved from magni 2 uber to lyr 2 , different is massive , with my hd700 and um pro 50 , first time i plugged hd700 i was in shocked , Clarity is amazing , ultra wide soundstage with more weight and more depth , very transparent , separation is fantastic , music touch my ear now , one thing is very noticeable is bass !!!! oh man i never expected such bass from hd700 , Bass going Very deep and clean i realy impressed , even with iem um pro 50 sound is totally different than magni 2 u , i highly recomended of course with good dac , i'm using modi and modi 2 u and pioneer xdp-100r as source sometimes , but in future i want upgrade to nad 1050 or emotica dac-1 and Mjolnir 2
how do you compare Vali 2 vs magni 2 ? because i'm thinking to bought vali 2 and sell magni 2 u

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #1,519 of 2,168
  i moved from magni 2 uber to lyr 2 , different is massive , with my hd700 and um pro 50 , first time i plugged hd700 i was in shocked , Clarity is amazing , ultra wide soundstage with more weight and more depth , very transparent , separation is fantastic , music touch my ear now , one thing is very noticeable is bass !!!! oh man i never expected such bass from hd700 , Bass going Very deep and clean i realy impressed , even with iem um pro 50 sound is totally different than magni 2 u , i highly recomended of course with good dac , i'm using modi and modi 2 u and pioneer xdp-100r as source sometimes , but in future i want upgrade to nad 1050 or emotica dac-1 and Mjolnir 2
how do you compare Vali 2 vs magni 2 ? because i'm thinking to bought vali 2 and sell magni 2 u

I don't have a Vali 2 yet. I was debating between a Vali 2 or Lyr 2.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #1,520 of 2,168

I don't have a Vali 2 yet. I was debating between a Vali 2 or Lyr 2.

Based on that you've got some LCD-2's in your sig I would recommend the Lyr 2.

But whichever you chose bear in mind you'll improve the sound no end by rolling the tubes.

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #1,521 of 2,168
After weeks of deliberation, finally decided to get a Lyr 2 for my HE500s, as an upgrade from the Asgard (1). Cannot wait to try them. 

I would have loved to try the Gustard H10 (it came so highly recommended) - but getting it was an issue (I stay in India) and getting it from the US would have led to insane (and unpredictable) custom duties. A friend is coming from Australia in March and I got the Lyr 2 from a site called Addicted To Audio. At AUD 699, it seemed to be a good buy, not much more above the US price. I could have splurged for the WA6 if I wanted to, but after hearing the Deckard do nothing for me, I was a little averse to spending too much more. Especially since HeadFi seemed to wax eloquent about the Lyr-HE500 pairing.

Also, would love to see (hear?) what tubes sound like. I'm also looking forward to the RCA out for my Swans speakers - currently I use a Belkin 5 way (hasn't affected audio quality but I guess some of you are cringing seeing that :D) from my HRT MusicStreamer II+ DAC.

Must say I've always loved the Hifimans - but my respect for them shot up astronomically after listening to the Audeze LCD X for a week, which just felt... Very bass-y (but oh man, so comfortable!)

Thank you to the entire Head-Fi community for making sure my bank balance takes a beating every year :wink:

Chuck 

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,522 of 2,168
  Thank you to the entire Head-Fi community for making sure my bank balance takes a beating every year :wink:

Chuck 

Congrats on the Lyr 2. Welcome to the club. Yes, tube rolling will take a toll on your wallet. It's fun, though.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #1,523 of 2,168
I'm sure this has been asked before, but is anyone using the Lyr 2 with HD650s? I already own the Lyr 2, and I've had my eye on a pair of the Senns for awhile. 

Goal is actually a comfortable, easy-to-listen to sound that I can use for work. 

Any impressions of this combo? 

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #1,524 of 2,168
  I'm sure this has been asked before, but is anyone using the Lyr 2 with HD650s? I already own the Lyr 2, and I've had my eye on a pair of the Senns for awhile. 

Goal is actually a comfortable, easy-to-listen to sound that I can use for work. 

I used to have the Lyr and used it with the HD650 for over a year. The combination was warm and punchy, more dynamic than with the Valhalla 2 but less resolving and with a smaller stage. I found the combination satisfying, but if that was your only headphone, I would pick something else in that price range, such as the Valhalla 2 or BH Crack w/speedball. The strength of the Lyr is its versatility with a variety of a kind of headphones. If I were you, I would not hesitate to pick up either the HD650 or the HD600 if you already have the Lyr. Just realize they scale incredibly high, and the Lyr, while able to drive them, is not going to be the last word. 

FWIW I do miss my Lyr very much.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,525 of 2,168
  Congrats on the Lyr 2. Welcome to the club. Yes, tube rolling will take a toll on your wallet. It's fun, though.

Thank you! Any recommendations on tubes I can start with (there's still some time for my friend to come down from Aus)? Or should I just stick with the stock tubes for a while? I don't mind spending upto $100 more for now. Tried looking at some Lyr 2 recommendations on the forums but many of the tubes are way, way over that budget.

If it helps, I primarily listen to rock, metal and acoustic.

Chuck

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #1,526 of 2,168

Thank you! Any recommendations on tubes I can start with (there's still some time for my friend to come down from Aus)? Or should I just stick with the stock tubes for a while? I don't mind spending upto $100 more for now. Tried looking at some Lyr 2 recommendations on the forums but many of the tubes are way, way over that budget.

Chuck

PM rb2013 to see if he has anything for you. If you check my profile, I have three pairs of Russian tubes I bought from him, all varying prices, cheapest being the '71 Voskhod. The $10 per pair RCAs are also a good start, IMO.

The stock tubes are okay, but I don't plan on going back to them.

I've asked related questions in the past and here's a post where I quoted a bunch of members' responses: http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/8355#post_12230307

Hope it helps...

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #1,527 of 2,168

Chuck
The tube rollers thread posted above is the best place for advice
Apologies in advance for what it'll do to your wallet.

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #1,528 of 2,168

I agree with @Liu Junyuan, while the Lyr2 is a great versatile amp the HD-650 along with my HD-600/800/T1/DT-990 sound a little better on a BH Crack.  Another thing is the tubes you are using will play a role in what various headphones sound like.
PS: I still have my Lyr2, works great with my HE-400i/560/LCD-2/K7XX/SRH-1840

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #1,529 of 2,168

My old kit: Bifrost Uber/ Lyr2/ HD650.

I got caught on the roller wagon. This goes back a couple years.

I rolled many, but these are the ones that provided me the best all around sound. Amperex Orange Globes (good), Bugle Boys (good), Amperex 7308's (very very good), Telefunken E88CC (very, very good) , 74 6n23p Rockets (very, very good) , CCa's (excellent)

For everyday listening, I use either the 7308's or the E88cc's. These just work and I don't need to get caught up in rolling.

I have since moved up to the gumby and MJ2. With these tubes and the HD650's. It's magical.

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #1,530 of 2,168
Well those RCA tubes have come in.
Not bad at all for $10!

Put my impressions up on the Lyr Tube Rollers thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/8415#post_12308028

Users who are viewing this thread

Back