NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Oct 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,006 of 2,741
Hey guys,
I just put in my order for one. I almost bought a Modi, too, but I talked myself out of it. Well, I've almost talked myself out of it. I currently have a FiiO E10 that I am using as my current DAC, but I was wondering how the Modi would compare to the E-10? My reasoning for not getting it was that I couldn't imagine it being a whole lot bigger of an upgrade. I figured I should save my money (for now
biggrin.gif
) and wait until I can afford something like the Bifrost. That would probably be a long ways down the line, though, as I don't have anything that would really take advantage of the multiple inputs since I primarily use USB. What do you guys think? If I go ahead and buy the Modi, I doubt I will be upgrading the DAC for a very long time.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for a set of mid-range ($200-$300) headphones to pair with this thing? I have the Denon AH-D2000s right now. I don't know that I'm looking for an upgrade as much as something different. I just want to try different things, and there isn't a Hi-Fi store anywhere that close to me. That, or maybe I should just wait until around Christmas and maybe stretch my budget for the HD 600s or something.

-EDIT-
Forgot a few words.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,007 of 2,741
  Hey guys,
I just put in my order for one. I almost bought a Modi, too, but I talked myself out of it. Well, I've almost talked myself out of it. I currently have a FiiO E10 that I am using as my current DAC, but I was wondering how the Modi would compare to the E-10? My reasoning for not getting it was that I couldn't imagine it being a whole lot bigger of an upgrade. I figured I should save my money (for now
biggrin.gif
) and wait until I can afford something like the Bifrost. That would probably be a long ways down the line, though, as I don't have anything that would really take advantage of the multiple inputs since I primarily use USB. What do you guys think? If I go ahead and buy the Modi, I doubt I will be upgrading the DAC for a very long time.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for a set of mid-range ($200-$300) headphones to pair with this thing? I have the Denon AH-D2000s right now. I don't know that I'm looking for an upgrade as much as something different. I just want to try different things, and there isn't a Hi-Fi store anywhere that close to me. That, or maybe I should just wait until around Christmas and maybe stretch my budget for the HD 600s or something.

-EDIT-
Forgot a few words.

Modi is definitely an upgrade from the E10, even the E17. I have the E17 and like it a lot but it's nowhere near as good. E17 is more closed in with a warmer/fuller sound, but this doesn't mean better, just different. The E17 has a touch of warmth, but not much at all. Modi is much more neutral/transparent. Clearer and with a more open/spacious sound. Modi is comparable to the ODAC for me. Heck it's even comparable to the new $250 DAC I have.

The E10 sounded pretty dark to me with a slight mid-bass/low-mids emphasis. Not much. I did like it with the Q701 somewhat. E17 sounded a little better than the E10 which really surprised me.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #1,008 of 2,741
Also, anyone have any recommendations for a set of mid-range ($200-$300) headphones to pair with this thing?

I think pretty much any headphone you can buy in that price range works well with the Asgard 2. It'll drive about any headphone. :)

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,011 of 2,741
Oct 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,012 of 2,741
Even some planars. I'm sure it can drive the he500 as I was able to get the he500 to work with the magni, although it didn't give the he500 what it need to really show what it can do. The Asgard 2 I would imagine would do a better job than the magni. I'm not sure how much better as I haven't tried the two together just basing my assumption from the magni.

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #1,013 of 2,741
I think pretty much any headphone you can buy in that price range works well with the Asgard 2. It'll drive about any headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

For the record, I've been happy with my Grado 225i ($200) with my A-2. I listen to mostly guitar centric rock, metal, blues, folk, but also some jazz, ambient and classical. And, most of my listening is with speakers, but when I put them on, am quite happy with the sound.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,014 of 2,741
Joining the ranks!

I first tried some tubes with Valhalla but it did not attract me. Not soundwise or the option for tube rolling. I figured out I just want the out of the box experience and for christ sakes not have too many options. Well, that's mostly aimed at my Woo amp which can do countless tube variations. Anyway, sold Valhalla and ordered the A2 just yesterday from Schiit distributor Earmania. Must mention that their service caught me by surprise. Negotiable price (yes really), fast response and low shipping cost. Awesome! Next week HE-400 will arrive and I hope the combination with Uber-Bi will blow me away and be done with this
biggrin.gif

That said, I do want to try Modi with A2 and compare it to Uber-Bi / A2. Did anyone try similarly? Impressions?

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,015 of 2,741
  Joining the ranks!

I first tried some tubes with Valhalla but it did not attract me. Not soundwise or the option for tube rolling. I figured out I just want the out of the box experience and for christ sakes not have too many options. Well, that's mostly aimed at my Woo amp which can do countless tube variations. Anyway, sold Valhalla and ordered the A2 just yesterday from Schiit distributor Earmania. Must mention that their service caught me by surprise. Negotiable price (yes really), fast response and low shipping cost. Awesome! Next week HE-400 will arrive and I hope the combination with Uber-Bi will blow me away and be done with this
biggrin.gif

That said, I do want to try Modi with A2 and compare it to Uber-Bi / A2. Did anyone try similarly? Impressions?

IMHO...there is a big jump between the modi and the uberfrost. The modi sounds somewhat thin and lacks the natural tone and timber especially in vocals. The UF will have better weight and texture to the bass. These are my personal findings. YMMV. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #1,016 of 2,741
IMHO...there is a big jump between the modi and the uberfrost. The modi sounds somewhat thin and lacks the natural tone and timber especially in vocals. The UF will have better weight and texture to the bass. These are my personal findings. YMMV. 

I have similar experience. I also feel the uber bifrost remove an extra layer making overall sound seems cleaner. It's a noticeable difference as I only owned the bifrost über for only 4-5 days with only 3-4 hrs. Bass is the most noticeable difference.

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,017 of 2,741
I have similar experience. I also feel the uber bifrost remove an extra layer making overall sound seems cleaner. It's a noticeable difference as I only owned the bifrost über for only 4-5 days with only 3-4 hrs. Bass is the most noticeable difference.

That uber Bifrost must be one impressive DAC because the Modi has always been crystal clear to me.

IMO the Modi is no thinner than an ODAC (which doesn't sound thin/cold/bright etc). For ME it depends on the recordings. It sounds very natural to me and uncolored. However I do feel that my Micro DAC add a tiny bit more body to the sound of some things but it's so minor. I like the warmth of my E17 but I wish it was as good overall as the Modi. Somehow it makes me feel as if it's soundstage is so closed in compared to the Modi.

LOL the only time I heard a extremely small amount of warmth on my Modi was when I used the T90. I was like WOW..it took a T90 to hear that?! Modi sounds transparent to my ears.

It's not super revealing and extremely detailed but sounds great to me. I would say it's one of my best purchases.

Chances are that if I liked the Modi I would like the Bifrost. Bifrost is on my radar, but not within the next 6 months since I just bought a 2nd  DAC.

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #1,018 of 2,741
Sounds interesting to me.  I'll probably buy the Vali full price and then sell my Magni/Modi for 150ish and then put that towards an uber analog usb bifrost. (Or preferably not usb if my mac is compatible.)

Oct 22, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #1,019 of 2,741
Well, I only listen to it for 3-4 hrs and still evaluating the uber bifrost, take it as that. I haven't fully grasp it yet and still trying to understand it as I had the modi and listened to it for 4 months. The bass part is what I didn't expect, I was thinking its just a dac.
I bought it after i keep hearing people raving about it and was skeptical of its performance especially when people say they can tell the difference between the standard bifrost vs the uber bifrost. My original plan was to try it out and if I don't like it (which I really didn't think I would over the modi except maybe a little) than I would return/sale and save money for an anedio d2. If that didn't go well, I would stick to the modi. Well right now I'm listening to them after a couple of days of a break from them, I decided this is some good stuff.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,020 of 2,741

Very interesting. As I wasn't and aren't that bothered with the differences heard when comparing my gear, I figured possibly stepping down to Modi. Then sell Uber and call it a day. Like you say Matt, MMMV. computing opinion bzzzzzzzzz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back