NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jan 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,112 of 2,741
Quesion: I have an Oppo BDP105 and I just bought the Asgard2. What is the optimal way of connecting the Asgard to the Oppo?

Currently I have been running some XLR to RCA cables from the back of the Oppo into the Asgard. Sound for the most part is really nice, however, I was shocked at how high I had to turn up the Asgard to get my HD650 loud. On high gain I have the volume turned to about 3 o'clock, and on many streamed songs, I need the Oppo's volume set at 92-100. For physical media like CDs and SACDs, I can set the Oppo's volume at more forgiving 82-90.

I found that the sound of the Asgard is pretty much what everyone says it is, except I found that when the music gets really busy (as in many layers of instruments/voices/effects all hitting at once) the Asgard had a hard time seperating the different aspects of the music, but with a standard straight up jazz or rock band (3-5 layers of music at most) the seperation is spectacular. Also, sometimes some parts of song that have been tradionally presented very up front sound like they have been pushed far back.

So I am wondering if the whole Oppo XLR out -> RCA in Asgard2 was the best way to go. In addition to the issue above, the other things that make me think perhaps I am not connecting this right are:

1) The volume. I cant be that deaf! In reality, when I hook up the Asgard to either the HRT Microstreamer or FiiO X3 (in DAC mode) through line out the volume seems more plentiful
2) Although the overall quality of the Oppo's sound is still better than either the microstreamer or x3, neither of those two give me the 'busy music' seperation problem and seems to image everything fine.

Any help or tips would be great!

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,113 of 2,741
Been a while since I've posted here, but curious as to what you guys are finding as a good DAC for the Asgard 2 and HD 650 combo.

I'm not too keen on Schiit's DACs based on the Modi, but I'm not sure how much different the Bifrost is from the Modi, sonically.

I thought I read a review on here a while back with there being little or no sonic difference, but curious what other DACs people are using.  Thanks.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,114 of 2,741
For me, the bifrost is an end game dac for SE setups. You can always go with the uber upgrade for more performance. And it makes a nice stack. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #1,115 of 2,741
Ok guys I'm pretty new to all this, I've posted this in the Schiit owners club but maybe this would be better posted in this thread. They recommended a new DAC but I don't believe that will remedy my issues, as I believe it is a case of this amps sound signature not pairing with my beyers.

I received my Asgard 2 Friday night and I've basically been unhappy with the sound since I received it. It does sound great, don't get me wrong and I think Schiit has an awesome product. I just don't think it is a good match for my ears, my headphones or the music I listen to. I would just like some more validation on my thoughts before I send this back.

My setup SoundblasterZ/AS2/DT990 Pro I also have a Fiio E10 that may sound a little better with this amp(I know shameful DACs)

First off this AMP picks up so much interference from my PC, at high listening levels the buzzing/scratching is pretty intense. I was able to isolate this by running my Fiio E10 off my tablet. PC to USB connection also yielded interference. I've tried Hi/Lo and every set of volume combinations in between.

Overall I feel the sound is a bit congested/fuzzy/dry and lacks separation when there are multiple layers, bass lines just seem to mesh together and sound nasty. I listen to a lot of rock and EDM so I really like to crank my headphones, by the time I reach an exciting listening level the sound becomes really harsh. Bass impact also sounds sloppy and thin. I feel the AS2 brings out the worst in my Beyers and masks its real qualities. I really don't know why anyone would recommend this amp with these headphone? It is really fatiguing on my ears...

The only dedicated AMP I can compare this to is the Musical Fidelity V-Can II, I gave this to my dad for Christmas and I've missed it everyday that its been gone. This amp was crystal clear at all volumes, bass impact was tight fast and clean, separation was amazing, sound stage was HUGE. This amp was also connected to the same exact system my Schiit is connected to.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this, maybe even another AMP recommendation. The AS2 did seem to get better after I burned it in, but it is still not anywhere near the sound I expected, and its been cooking for a while now.. Could a proper DAC really warm this AMP up and clean up the sound that much??

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,116 of 2,741
  Ok guys I'm pretty new to all this, I've posted this in the Schiit owners club but maybe this would be better posted in this thread. They recommended a new DAC but I don't believe that will remedy my issues, as I believe it is a case of this amps sound signature not pairing with my beyers.

I received my Asgard 2 Friday night and I've basically been unhappy with the sound since I received it. It does sound great, don't get me wrong and I think Schiit has an awesome product. I just don't think it is a good match for my ears, my headphones or the music I listen to. I would just like some more validation on my thoughts before I send this back.

My setup SoundblasterZ/AS2/DT990 Pro I also have a Fiio E10 that may sound a little better with this amp(I know shameful DACs)

First off this AMP picks up so much interference from my PC, at high listening levels the buzzing/scratching is pretty intense. I was able to isolate this by running my Fiio E10 off my tablet. PC to USB connection also yielded interference. I've tried Hi/Lo and every set of volume combinations in between.

Overall I feel the sound is a bit congested/fuzzy/dry and lacks separation when there are multiple layers, bass lines just seem to mesh together and sound nasty. I listen to a lot of rock and EDM so I really like to crank my headphones, by the time I reach an exciting listening level the sound becomes really harsh. Bass impact also sounds sloppy and thin. I feel the AS2 brings out the worst in my Beyers and masks its real qualities. I really don't know why anyone would recommend this amp with these headphone? It is really fatiguing on my ears...

The only dedicated AMP I can compare this to is the Musical Fidelity V-Can II, I gave this to my dad for Christmas and I've missed it everyday that its been gone. This amp was crystal clear at all volumes, bass impact was tight fast and clean, separation was amazing, sound stage was HUGE. This amp was also connected to the same exact system my Schiit is connected to.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this, maybe even another AMP recommendation. The AS2 did seem to get better after I burned it in, but it is still not anywhere near the sound I expected, and its been cooking for a while now.. Could a proper DAC really warm this AMP up and clean up the sound that much??

Scratching and buzzing, sounds like you may have a ground loop. I had this problem with my Asgard 2, once I moved the power plug for my DAC next to the one for my amp, it went away. Originally the power plug was on a different power strip that was plugged into a different outlet on a different wall, silly me.

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #1,117 of 2,741
For me, the bifrost is an end game dac for SE setups. You can always go with the uber upgrade for more performance. And it makes a nice stack. 

I'm thinking I'll eventually just try it out because of the ridiculously generous return period. Any comments of the sound with and without the Bifrost? I found the Magni + Modi combo a tad bit thin and cold for my tastes.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,119 of 2,741
I heard the m/m combo exactly as you did. The bifrost is a substantial upgrade IMO. 

Hmmm good to know. Thanks for your input; it's much appreciated :).

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,120 of 2,741
FWIW, compared my Asgard 2 and the Valhalla at a meet a couple of weeks ago using my T90s and it was very nice. I think the Valhalla's higher output impedance is better with the Beyers. It also has a bit more power than Asgard. The Valhalla spoiled the SM64 though and so isn't as good a choice if you also want to drive IEMs.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #1,121 of 2,741
FWIW, compared my Asgard 2 and the Valhalla at a meet a couple of weeks ago using my T90s and it was very nice. I think the Valhalla's higher output impedance is better with the Beyers. It also has a bit more power than Asgard. The Valhalla spoiled the SM64 though and so isn't as good a choice if you also want to drive IEMs.

Why is the Valhalla's higher output impedance better with the Beyers? I'll assume you meant the Beyer T90?

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,123 of 2,741

Why is the Valhalla's higher output impedance better with the Beyers? I'll assume you meant the Beyer T90?

Damping factor. Tyll did a very nice article about it: 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

I think you should read the article once more. Tyll states that a lower impedance amp is better as to give a higher damping ratio. So ericr's statement. "I think the Valhalla's higher output impedance is better...." doesn't ring true to me, hence my post. It is a rare case where a higher output impedance amp is advantageous and IMO in that case one would have bought the wrong set of cans. The only thing about a low impedance SS amp is to be sure that is can drive enough voltage for high impedance cans.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,124 of 2,741
Yes, the Beyer T90 (label states 250 ohm).

The T90 is my first venture outside of IEMs so I'm mostly in learning mode. While researching on the full-size headphone threads (incl. The T90 thread) others had stated some higher impedance cans perform better with amps having higher impedance.

At the meet the T90 sounded better with the Vahalla, while my SM64 did not. After the meet curiosity drove me to the Schiit website where I noticed the difference in output impedance between the Vahalla (30 ohms) and the Asgard 2 (<2 ohms). So what I experienced at the meet was in line with the "higher impedance amps" line of thinking I had read about.

I think StanD's comment is valid as the wonderful sub-bass and bass of the SM64 turned to flabby mush through the Vahalla.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #1,125 of 2,741
Hi, looking for a new headphone amp for my HE-400's / W1000X and naturally looking at the Schiit range. Ive tried the Vali but my W1000X were too sensitive for it. So I'm now thinking Asgard 2 but just wondered that if I'm not going to use the low gain setting or the pre-amp should I just go for the Magni, or have you found sq benefits/changes too????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back