New rig won't recognize X-fi Platinum - Thoughts?
Aug 12, 2010 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
So I just built a new computer to replace my old HP which died this past winter (specs are below for reference).  Everything is working well except that either windows or my mobo won't recognize my audio card as an audio card.  When in device manager, it is listed as a USB controller which is unrecognized.  I tried to install the drivers for the card which Creative has released for Windows 7, but it says no product is installed.  I'm really hoping that its not an issue of incompatibility with the mobo, but as of now I'm stumped.  If anyone has any thoughts as to what to do, I'd really appreciate it.

Specs:
MSI 870A-G54 Mobo
Amd Athalon II X4 635 @ 2.9ghz
4gb Corsair DDR3 Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT by PNY LXR8 version
Creative X-fi Platinum (not working)
Antec 900 Case
Ultra 500w PSU (from the old rig)
1x 640gb WD Caviar Black SATA HDD
1x 320gb SATA HDD (can't remember brand, from old computer)

Cheers for any help,
Zach

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 13
Have you disabled the on board sound card at the BIOS level at POST?

???

What shows up when you check at the control panel level?

???

Aug 12, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Also, try a different pci slot.
Although I highly recommend that you change the card for a Asus Xonar or Auzentech in terms of audio quality.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 13
ROBSCIX:  I don't have another system to try it on right now unfortunately, but I'll try to find a friend who is willing if nothing else pans out.

beeman458: I haven't tried BIOS yet, but I will, thanks for that, didn't think of it.  Also, if you're referring to the hardware section of control panel, that's what I was referring to when I said it wouldn't recognize the card as a sound card.  Just a USB controller.

Amatsu:  I'll give another slot a try, but I can't really afford a new sound card at the moment.  Its worked well on my previous systems, so I'll stick with it til I have some more extra cash. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 13
You'll need to disable the on board sound card.  Otherwise you're telling the board to recognize two sound cards at the same time.  Could get confusing.

Dumb question on my part, have you downloaded the latest drivers from ASUS regarding your sound card?

After you disable the on board sound card, "then" check your computer settings.

In Win7 x64:

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage Sound Devices > Sound (check speakers).

You also want to make sure of your GUI settings for the Xonar Audio Center.  Beware of your headphone setting as there's one setting for the front panel and one setting for the card.  If you have the "fphp" (front panel headphone) box checked, then you need to have your front panel plugged into the sound card and not into the MoBo.  The card won't play in both of the headphone plugs, you have to tell the audio center which plug you're wanting to hang out in.

Turn up all your computer sliders to one hundred percent and use the audio center control to set your headphone volume by.

Oh, and don't expect to be able to depend upon the guys at ASUS as they didn't have a clue about the above check points.

triportsad.gif

All of my comments are regarding the ASUS, Xonar STX.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
You'll need to disable the on board sound card.  Otherwise you're telling the board to recognize two sound cards at the same time.  Could get confusing.

Dumb question on my part, have you downloaded the latest drivers from ASUS regarding your sound card?

After you disable the on board sound card, "then" check your computer settings.

In Win7 x64:

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage Sound Devices > Sound (check speakers).

You also want to make sure of your GUI settings for the Xonar Audio Center.  Beware of your headphone setting as there's one setting for the front panel and one setting for the card.  If you have the "fphp" (front panel headphone) box checked, then you need to have your front panel plugged into the sound card and not into the MoBo.  The card won't play in both of the headphone plugs, you have to tell the audio center which plug you're wanting to hang out in.

Turn up all your computer sliders to one hundred percent and use the audio center control to set your headphone volume by.

Oh, and don't expect to be able to depend upon the guys at ASUS as they didn't have a clue about the above check points.

triportsad.gif

All of my comments are regarding the ASUS, Xonar STX.

Windows can use multiple soundcards.  I have used 4 at once and I have friends who use multiple soundcards all the time.

The guy is using Creative Labs card not a ASUS Xonar...so getting driver from ASUS wouldn't help the situation any.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 13
@Beeman, windows can use multiple soundcards.

Thanks for the heads-up.  But in the case of the STX, ASUS has the disable the MoBo sound card at the BIOS level comment in the instructions.

The disable comment is at the top of page six of the CD provided sound card instruction.

Before you proceed with the following installation steps, it is recommended that
you disable the onboard audio device in the BIOS settings, or uninstall any other
sound cards on your PC.
For BIOS setting or uninstallation of other sound cards, refer to the user
manuals of your motherboard and sound cards

The guy is using Creative Labs card not a ASUS Xonar.

D'oh!  You're right, completely read past that point as I got caught up in Xonar fever.

tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 13
They usually tell you to disable the onboard so the system will default to the new card.
Most soundcards are fine to use with other cards/onboards unless they are the same kind in which driver conflicts may arise.  I have three soundcards enabled in my current system...

To the OP...
I have heard of CL cards not being reconized but I cannot remember the fix.  You may want to check the CL forums as it may help.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 13
I've had issues like this before (sound card not registering as a sound card or device not found).  I took out the sound card, wiped the pins carefully, and blew a can of duster on the pci/pcie slots in the computer.  I put the card back in and ensured that it was in all the way and it was recognized again. 

Aside from disabling the on-board sound in the BIOS, going into the control panel and uninstalling software directly related to the on-board sound can help as well. 

Daniel K made a series of drivers that could be used on Windows Vista or 7 that seem to work for others, of course the card needs to be recognized first...
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/0e62fce3-32d6-4470-ab68-c790c5ddbc0f

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for all the replies guys.  I was out of town, so I'll give the suggestions a try.  I'll report back with the results.

Cheers,
Zach

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 13
Well, if anyone cares to know, the solution was ridiculously simple.  It turns out that my motherboard was about a quarter inch away from the slot panels, so I had to make sure that the screws wouldn't pull the back connectors out when I screwed them in.  I did a facepalm as soon as I figured it out.  Thanks for the answers though guys.

Cheers,
Zach

Users who are viewing this thread

Back