New Releases 2013 - No Records Released Before 2013
Mar 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #121 of 297

Autechre: Exai

I know it's been mentioned already, but this. My god, this. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #123 of 297
Quote:
I'm going to count this as a 2013 release:

Some of the tracks were previously available as bonus material. The whole thing was available on LP as part of a box set or on Japanese CD in 2012, but it is now available on U.S. CD release exclusively at Target:

http://theseconddisc.com/2013/01/04/in-case-you-missed-it-norah-jones-covers-gets-domestic-cd-release/

Norah has great taste in the artists she has chosen to cover! 

Excellent covers of songs by some of the best singer-songwriters and also an excellent choice of songs to make it a very balanced album.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #124 of 297
images

New album by Kashmir -  E.A.R. 

Here's one of the songs from this album performed in a lovely and intense acoustic version by Kasper Eisner. All in original B and W "color" added to a very decent visual experience..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7gckeLmFEk  Plug in your headphones and watch it in full screen, enjoy..

and this, also very well shot, live recording/video should create some more interest about more hearing music from Kashmir. I'm just hyping them..:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ5qTRiSeSQ&list=AL94UKMTqg-9Ay2Ori7Mn-MuloAIFLClxR

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #125 of 297
images

Suede - Bloodsports

Of course it very coincidental that Suede releases this album around the same time as David Bowie releases his "The Next Day" album, around 10-11 years ago since both artist/groups released any official album. I do consider both Suede and Bowie to be very significant and somewhat original on their own terms in the history of British rock music albeit performing their best work in different decades..

Anyway, this is IMO indeed a very fine Suede album with a very refreshing approach that sounds like they have been updating themselves and at the same time a song like "Hit Me" sounds very much the Suede I knew from the early 90's.  In a very good way..

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #127 of 297
Quote:
images

Suede - Bloodsports

Of course it very coincidental that Suede releases this album around the same time as David Bowie releases his "The Next Day" album, around 10-11 years ago since both artist/groups released any official album. I do consider both Suede and Bowie to be very significant and somewhat original on their own terms in the history of British rock music albeit performing their best work in different decades..

Anyway, this is IMO indeed a very fine Suede album with a very refreshing approach that sounds like they have been updating themselves and at the same time a song like "Hit Me" sounds very much the Suede I knew from the early 90's.  In a very good way..

Yes, to the new Suede album--enjoying it very much. Definitely a nice balance of the classic Suede sound and some not-too-drastic updating.  Kudos to Bowie for a new album, but it has a bit of that David Bowie and Eight of the Most Expensive Studio Session Musicians flavor.  A little hard to tell if he still has anything to say.  Of course, having such a stellar back catalog is kind of a curse, isn't it?

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #128 of 297
Quote:

Yes, to the new Suede album--enjoying it very much. Definitely a nice balance of the classic Suede sound and some not-too-drastic updating.  Kudos to Bowie for a new album, but it has a bit of that David Bowie and Eight of the Most Expensive Studio Session Musicians flavor.  A little hard to tell if he still has anything to say.  Of course, having such a stellar back catalog is kind of a curse, isn't it?

Not so sure if  Mr.Bowie himself considers it a curse :)  But he certainly did create a legacy that later on was almost impossible to live up to. Although I will credit him that some of his albums that I wasn't too impressed with when they were initially released but years even decades later I changed my opinion. I'm particular thinking of albums like Scary Monster and The two Tin Machine albums.

Today, I definitely experience these albums as belonging among some of his best work. So the significance of the Next Day might need more than just one day to sink in, a decade or two?

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #130 of 297
images

Heather McEntire's voice is what immediately draws me into keep listening to the second album of Mount Moriah, originally a post-rock band but now an alt-country band from North Carolina.

Miss McEntire has been compared to Emmylou Harris and Lucinda Williams and I can only agree.

Mount Moriah's sophomoric release, Miracle Temple, was released around a month ago and is so far one of my favorite alt-country albums of 2013. Not just because of Heather McEntire, but also because I overall find it a stunning album.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #132 of 297
Quote:
images

Heather McEntire's voice is what immediately draws me into keep listening to the second album of Mount Moriah, originally a post-rock band but now an alt-country band from North Carolina.

Miss McEntire has been compared to Emmylou Harris and Lucinda Williams and I can only agree.

Mount Moriah's sophomoric release, Miracle Temple, was released around a month ago and is so far one of my favorite alt-country albums of 2013. Not just because of Heather McEntire, but also because I overall find it a stunning album.

I assume you meant, "sophomore" and not "sophomoric"... 
wink.gif

Putting aside my annoying pedantic habits, you're absolutely right, it's a wonderful album (as is their debut).

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #134 of 297
Quote:

I assume you meant, "sophomore" and not "sophomoric"... 
wink.gif

Putting aside my annoying pedantic habits, you're absolutely right, it's a wonderful album (as is their debut).

I just wanted to check out if anyone out there was listening 
wink_face.gif
 Pleased to know that you feel the same way about the Mount Moriah album.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #135 of 297
images

The Milk Carton Kids - The Ash & Clay

Two acoustic guitars and two male vocals.  No, it is not Simon & Garfunkel, but it is actually very similar sounding and IMO just as excellent (albeit with a more melancholic feel) as the originals... all presented in the year 2013.  

There's a couple of videos right here... 

http://www.themilkcartonkids.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back