new Radiohead album
May 2, 2003 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
Who has heard the new Radiohead?

without spoiling anything for those of us who wait and buy the albums, is it good?
which album is it most like?

smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 61
I have heard it a few times now, it's very similar to Amnesiac. Not my favorite type of Radiohead music by any stretch (my fav album is OK Computer).

-dd3mon

May 2, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 61
it's amazing (of course
smily_headphones1.gif
) and it's actually like all of their previous albums. There are elements of everything from Pablo Honey to Amnesiac in it... definitely the most diverse in style of their albums IMHO. I've heard it remarked (and I agree) that this would make a good last album for them, perish the thought.

May 2, 2003 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 61
I didn't like Amnesiac at all, but I like Hail to the Thief quite a bit. It's more of their older pre-Kid A stuff I thought, but still has influences of the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions.

BTW, on Radiohead's website's messageboard one of the members of Radiohead asked for the links to the leaked mp3's, then commented that they weren't close to being done yet, and that they still had a lot of work to do on them.

May 2, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 61
I like it but I think its time for Radiohead to stop doing mostly experimental on their albums. Don't get me wrong, I dig it, but just not as much as there albums where they had one type of sound.

The first track reminds me of the bends, and then from then on its anmesiac/kid a/ok computer'esque.

Radiohead never ceases to amaze me with what they pull off though.

May 2, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 61
Personally I enjoyed Kid A a lot.

Didn't really like Amnesiac - felt like it was *too* experimental.

If Radiohead wants to go experimental or come back to traditional, it's fine with me.

Arguably the world's biggest band right now and will be remembered as one of the greats~

May 2, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 61
The album is one of their finest pieces of work to date. Sure, OK Computer was a monumental album, and I still listen to it with the same verocity as I did when I first got it, but they haver really evolved into something great. Something you can't quite put into any category. And ok, Amnesiac wasn't their strongest album, it was pretty weak, but it too, had some good tracks on it. Especially Spinning plates and what they did to it live...that one is phenomimal. People tend to be way too critical of them and what they do as a band. I'd love to see any whiney person who says oh they just don't have it anymore bla bla bla, come up with material that's even minutely close to being anything that they have EVER done...or find another band that can keep pumping out such creative and fliud material...and I don't mean stuf like Aphex twin etc...stuff that actually gets air play.

To answer the question...the album is freekin' fantastic. It belongs in the albums that I never tire of thread.

EDIT: Who ever is claiming to have heard the final mix is either lying or mistaken...the final Master has not been released...that one is on tight security lock down. There's some german music site that sells CD's and that has access to all the songs on each album that is reviewed and Hail To the Thief is one of them. www.ateaseweb.com made the mistake of saying that those streams from that site were the final mix. They are NOT.

May 2, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by heeeraldo
...you realize that the expectation to stay the same band and produce the same music is what drove thom to breakdown, right?

I don't want them to do that. No way.

What I'd like to see is for them to come up with one sound for an album.

I love how you can say "oh this track sounds kid-a, or the bends"

They used to make one whole album just flow with one good sound. It differed from album to album.

I don't really dig the different experimental that changes every single track.

Shrug, thats just my opinion though... and its the only minor complaint I have. I'll continue to listen to radiohead as long as they continue to produce some of the finest music in the world. Nuff said.

May 2, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 61
Hey fry, I guess you couldn't figure out the cryptic way in which they plotted out the www.radiohead.com website and how to get to the forums from there hu ?

wink.gif

click on 00 then 03 then on 007 (waiting room) and viola! those cheesy guys........

May 2, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 61
Wait, is the full album out?
confused.gif
I thought just some of the mp3s were leaked.

Personally, I really wasn't a fan of amnesiac, although ok computer and kid a remain my favorites.

May 2, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 61
i thought amnesiac was, and still is, an excellent album. If the new album is anything like it, cool with me
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back