New Radiohead album in 5 days!!!
Feb 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #76 of 169
This is really growing on me already.

The first time I listened to it, the front half sounded odd but I instantly liked the back half. I listened to it a bit more before sleeping and now - just after waking up - I listened to it again and immediately bumped up my rating for it on RateYourMusic from 3.5 stars to 4 stars (out of 5) without even reaching the halfway point yet.

Loving this.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #77 of 169
Hahaha these Flying Lotus tweets are crazy :D Some parts of the first half of the album do sound like a chilled-out and laid-back Cosmogramma...

# ****.. I was sittin outside in the chair an the speakers said BLOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM #thekingoflimbs pow powpow pow about 6 hours ago via web

# holy pie! that was great! Now let me take the rest of the year to process this. Back to the hyperbolic time chamber about 6 hours ago via web

# studentteacherteacherstudent about 6 hours ago via web

# sorry i gotta tweet thru this radiohead joint. Its kinda a world event for me about 7 hours ago via web

# OH MAN that 'Bloom' crap was too ****ing real. LAB FACE about 7 hours ago via web

# whos listening to this crazy album right now? about 7 hours ago via web

# Flower about 7 hours ago via web

# this 'feral' is subbin my windows.. .are u serious?!!?!?!?! about 7 hours ago via web

# im trippin out right now.. this radiohead crap is cold! gawwwwwwwwddddddddddddddd. i need to slap someone in the face .. someone come over about 7 hours ago via web

# just started listening to the king of limbs.. Right out the gate this crap is incredible . POW about 7 hours ago via web

# Flattered that a lot of kids on here saying 'thekingoflimbs' sounds like some 'cosmogramma'. Now im even more curious to hear it.. about 10 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #78 of 169
to my recollection the Bends, OK Computer, Amnesiac and In Rainbows all had b-side discs and with the King of Limbs only having 8 tracks one would certainly hope that they decide to release more of what they've been up to over the past 3 or 4 years.

my first listen was on my work computer with the crappiest sound card known to man, so this album definitely came alive when i listened to it from home from my setup. i have to agree with the general consensus of this being a "slow burner," but a minute ago Give Up the Ghost just hit me with its brilliant, delicate melody that has staying power.

i love the way this band uses synthetic rhythms, but i have to wonder "where is Phil on this album?" there's not much variety, a lot of repetition, no fills (pun intended). I too wonder if this wasn't so much a collaborative effort, as a Thom Yorke Eraser pt. II. It's not like Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows where they went on tour as a band and demoed the material... this time it was Atoms for Peace and Thom solo, i'm sure that's bound to affect they way these songs came together. anyhow, will be following this thread closely interested to hear what everyone has to say.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #80 of 169
I'm enjoying the album a fair bit but it's not as good as In Rainbows. It's a big grower though, so I'll have to wait and see what I think after a few more listens.

I'm surprised The Present Tense, The Daily Mail, and Skirting On the Surface didn't make the cut. Those (especially TPT) seemed very promising. Hopefully the band releases them as b-sides.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #81 of 169
FWIW, I find it interesting that from the tracks below, only two made it to the album.

So for everyone even remotely considering the "there's going to be a part two" theory... to recap:

- last track is called "Separator".
- lyric from the end of that track: "If you think this is over, you're wrong."
- physical album isn't out for several months.
- sudden online release.
- shortest Radiohead album
- only two out of the rehearsed/played/rumored songs below made it to the album. There are still 14 unreleased tracks.

from atease.com:

Tracks we’ve seen rehearsed, played, rumoured and are possibly a candidate for the new album are the following;

The Daily Mail
Mouse Dog Bird
Lotus Flower
Give Up The Ghost
Skirting On The Surface
Open The Floodgates
Let Me Take Control/Chris Hodge
Burn The Witch
No Shame
Pay Day
Super Collider

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #82 of 169
Mouse Dog Bird became Separator, so that's at least 3 from that list on the album. Others may have changed their names as well.

Regardless, I hope you're right. While I'm enjoying this album quite a bit, it's very short and could use a few additional great songs. As it stands, it's a step down from In Rainbows quality-wise.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #85 of 169

Quote:
FWIW, I find it interesting that from the tracks below, only two made it to the album.

So for everyone even remotely considering the "there's going to be a part two" theory... to recap:

- last track is called "Separator".
- lyric from the end of that track: "If you think this is over, you're wrong."
- physical album isn't out for several months.
- sudden online release.
- shortest Radiohead album
- only two out of the rehearsed/played/rumored songs below made it to the album. There are still 14 unreleased tracks.

Quote:
from atease.com:

Tracks we’ve seen rehearsed, played, rumoured and are possibly a candidate for the new album are the following;

The Daily Mail
Mouse Dog Bird
Lotus Flower
Give Up The Ghost
Skirting On The Surface
Open The Floodgates
Let Me Take Control/Chris Hodge
Burn The Witch
No Shame
Pay Day
Super Collider

I can't believe how atease forgot to put present tense on there.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #86 of 169

"& you thought that you'd closed the book"

"How many branches: 1 2 3"

"How many branches: 1 ?? ??"

"not over"

@_@

does seem radiohead-ish. can't vouch for the validity of this yet... but color me interested especially after the guardian tweet of keeping our eyes on youtube.

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #88 of 169
If nothing else I just wish bands would learn to master albums like Radiohead.  Even if you do not like the music they are one of the only bands out there using new technology to actually make the sound better.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #89 of 169

Quote:
I have to say though that the feral track has some awesome bass and out of the head voices.

Agreed, when I was listening to it outside on my IE7s I was like "whoa, what was that" and had to turn around and look around before I realized it was the song.
basshead.gif
  Not getting that so much on my SR60s at home, so I guess this is a good track to test soundstage on.
wink_face.gif
  It's actually making me want to pick up some SR225s...

The short verdict - I'm more a "songs" than "soundscape" kinda girl, and this is a soundscape album...but I'm really really liking this and will be playing a lot, and when in the right mood a little mind-spazzing.  I would not say that this is a "top" album like In Rainbows, but excellent nonetheless.  Separator is my favorite, and I'm finding Bloom very interesting too.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #90 of 169
"Codex" is my favorite, Thom at the piano is better than Thom with his beat box.

Mr Greenwood, where are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back