New portable headphones for a composer that loves a flat sound.
Mar 13, 2019 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fustrun

Head-Fier
Hey all!

I am a Beyerdynamics fanatic and i currently own DT880, DT990 and also the ATH-m50x, i compose music in my studio and i have an acoustically treated room and that is the sound that i am used to.

I had the Beyer Custom Street headphones which died on me and what i loved about them is that they did not have a ton of boosted frequencies in the low end and they could not fool me when i listened to my mixes outside they would help me determine make decisions about the low end of my mix.

So now i am looking for the flattest earphones possible, preferably portable if possible, i dislike the "Smiley" curve earphones (My DT990, DT880, ATH-m50x) that cut the mids and fool you into a round sound.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Thank you!
I will try these out!

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 6
If you can live with little Isolation the Sony EX800ST are an option - they are designed as monitor IEMs. Excellent bass quality, very flat frequency response up to 1kHz. Is perceived as warm though

JVC HA-FD02 with a simple mod (to lower the 3-5kHz hump) have better timbre, are a bit brighter, very natural sounding, IMO very balanced and accurate. Excellent dynamics. Get better with Nobunaga Yuuzen cable.

Both around 200 from Amazon JP

A budget option could be the Final Audio E2000. Only listened to it briefly but it‘s natural and balanced sound stood out for me compared to the mainstream IEMs

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you for the additional suggestions but i don't really like in-ear earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back