New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Sep 21, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #1,291 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where I could get a mini to coaxial cable?

Google "digital mini to RCA"

Here's the first one that came up for me:

RAM Custom Shop

spdif01-xx.jpg

spdif02.jpg

They use Belden cable and do custom lengths.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #1,292 of 2,626
For digital coax you normally do not want to go too short as reflections of the digital signal can affect the transmission. A study found that 6 feet worked the best. I realize that most people do not want to go this long if not needed but it is something to think about.

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #1,293 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Google "digital mini to RCA"

Here's the first one that came up for me:

RAM Custom Shop

spdif01-xx.jpg

spdif02.jpg

They use Belden cable and do custom lengths.
smily_headphones1.gif

Very nice cable you have there! Blue Jean Cable uses the 1505F or the 1694A (both by Bleden) for their coaxial digital cables as well. I am very satisfied with its performace and price.
icon10.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #1,295 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope to hear some hopped up D1s at the S FL meet next month.

I will likely have mine there, Blackgate coupling caps and different opamps throughout.

Sound is outstanding, IMHO.

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #1,296 of 2,626
I got in some AD8066, AD8397, OPA2111 opamps...still awaiting the AD8656 and ADA4841-2 .....time to break out the soldering iron. :>)

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #1,297 of 2,626
I am listening to K.D. Lang in Shadow Land and it hasn't sounded much better than this, ever. Great depth, separation of singers and instruments and tremendous dynamics. Great fun. The D1 is getting better than I thought it could. As I watch the Pacific with waves crashing in on the beach and the sun setting, loads of fun.

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #1,298 of 2,626
@jamato

So can you give us a list of your final mods? (op amps/buffers/caps/ext)

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #1,299 of 2,626
I listed the cap changes on the first page, my first post but I have not finalized the opamps yet but I am using the 8066 and two 4572's in the amp section with the AD8656 in the dac low pass section.

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #1,300 of 2,626
I forgot there was a first post
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #1,301 of 2,626
I just received (ordered on Monday) two "free samples" AD8656ARZ (Op-Amp upgrade for the iBasso D1 DAC) from Analog Devices by UPS 2nd Day Air. To order the "free samples", you must have an university/company e-mail (not Yahoo, Google or Hotmail). At Newark.com there is a waiting period of 45 days for the AD8656ARZ.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #1,303 of 2,626
Nice day.

K.D. is sounding better and better. If you get Black Gates don't forget that they keep changing for the first 400 hours or so and then keep getting better for a few more hundred. Just my experience and that of Audio Note UK.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #1,305 of 2,626
Received my D1 today, so far, it's gotten about 4-5 hours of classical and rock. This was my first headphone amp and I wasn't quite sure what to expect despite spending lots of time of head-fi reading threads recently(and especially this particular one!) All I can say is that my wallet will only suffer more from this point onward
wink.gif

I ran the D1 through my laptop (USB), using Winamp (for rock) and foobar (for classical), leading out to a pair of HD 280s. Tracks were mostly WMA lossless or 320 kbps.

Almost immediately, I noticed that the soundstage was more open (although I'm aware that the 280s are poor in this aspect to begin with.) However, as I continued listening, I was able to pick up more details in the music (pedal changes, fingers on the ivory, full 'sets' of echoes for vocalists [if that made any sense, sorry if it didn't] to name a few.) Bass felt deeper with more extension, and the treble was less shrilly and sibilant (the latter applying to only specific artists and recordings, although again, this has been pointed out as another criticism of the 280s.)

I must admit, at first, I didn't think an amp would end up making this much of a difference! (although remember, this is my first amp
tongue.gif
) Now though, I'm surprised by how long I've gone without one! (especially since I listen to a lot of classical music) Sounds like it'll only get better too once I burn it in for a while (and then there's the topic of op-amps.) From here though it'll only get more expensive (aghhh, I'm eyeing for a higher-end phone, and those Denon D5000 look mighty tempting...) For now though until I raise funds for anything in that price range, I can definitely suffice for the time being!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back