New Pair of Over Ear Headphones
Nov 14, 2014 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

planeboy

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of over ear headphones for less than $250, but if you feel strongly about a pair that are slightly more I would love to hear that too. My budget is flexible, but I don't want to spend a whole lot more than that. Some background on my previous headphones (and my thoughts on those if that helps) : I bought QC3's years ago, maybe 7, and thought they were really impressive. Having not used them for a long time and recently trying them again they sound pretty horrible. It sounds like the music was played through a tin can telephone that my Bose then pumped into my ears. Very muffled and flat sounding. I needed to take breaks with them because they hurt to wear them for extended periods, so that's why I want over ears now. I've had a pair of Sony over ears that were my dads, the ones that have been out for a couple decades, and wasn't ever really impressed with them. The headphones I've used consistently the most are Apple EarPods, which I didn't think were all that bad considering they came with my iPhone, and the fact that I didn't need to take care of them. My last purchase was a set of Shure SE215's which I liked a lot, isolating a lot of the sound, and the audio quality I thought was great. Unfortunately the swiveling cable has failed twice and they're being sent back again.

I listen to a lot of classic rock, alternative, some electronic, some classical, but primarily rock. I don't need a lot of bass, I care more about crisp sounding headphones, where it universally sounds nice. I don't want them to be open-backed because I'll be using them out a lot. I guess a lot of people who go looking for headphones like this look at the Audio Technica m50's(x). That's what I'm looking at, amongst others. Do you know where I can try these? And what are your thoughts on them? I'm not sure if they're truly a great set (within reason), or if they're at the apex of return on your money for more expensive headphones if that makes sense. 

I apologize if I didn't explain what I'm looking for in terms of sound quality or anything else well enough, it's difficult for me to articulate. I can try to clarify. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 5
I've tried the M50, I can see the appeal even if it's not for me.  It has a V-shaped sound signature with somewhat boosted bass and hot treble, and I didn't like the mids which sounded recessed to my ears.  It's also too closed-in sounding for my taste.  I'm clearly the minority though, since almost everyone loves the M50.  The M50X has a removable cable and is said to have more refined treble, but I never tried it personally.

I'm not sure where you're located so I don't know where you can try them.  You could always order from Amazon and use its return period if you don't like it. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 5
The Sure SE215 are pretty good headphones, so since you liked them then a pair of over ears with similar sound signature would be my recommendation; so modestly enhanced bass, linear rich mids and smooth rolled off treble. M50 aren't it. If you're ok with on ears then the Vmoda m-80 would fit the bill and are cheap on amazon. They are better sounding than the Shure but with a similar sound signature. They would save you money as well. At the high point of your budget are the Sennheiser Momentum which are 269 nowadays. Original msrp was like 379 or something. Anyways those have a somewhat similar rich sound with even better mids and a much more refined and detailed treble while still remaining buttery smooth, it's a great all rounder. I think either of those would be a serious serious upgrade to the earpods and the Shures

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 5

I'm ok with on ears as long as they don't become uncomfortable. How comfortable did you find the m-80's? The Momentum's sound great on paper, I'll try and test them out this weekend, hopefully there's a cyber monday deal, so i'll hold out until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back