New pair of headphones: Denon AH-D2000's?
Oct 18, 2007 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Mink

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I am considering getting a new pair of headphones.
Currently I am using ATH A500's and am actually very fond of them.
I mainly to listen to classical music on them and I really find it hard at times to imagine a better sound.

But since I can get a good deal on both the ATH A900's and Denon AH D2000's and reading rave reviews about them I got infected by upgrade-itis.
(I even considered to get some electrostatic headphones, but if I want to have speaker-like performance I listen to my speakers, I guess I just want my headphones to sound different, more closed-in and full than my speakers, so Stax and AKG 1000 for instance are out of the picture)

Now my source is a Marantz CD6000 Ki and I plug my headphones straight in the cd players (pretty good) phones-out or I use my amp's (Marantz PM7200) phones-out.
I am definitely not considering buying a separate dedicated headphones amp.

My question:
Which headphones would suit this set-up the best?
Since I already know how my ATH A500's sound, the A900's could be a safe bet, but would it make a significant upgrade?
And what is interesting: I actually preferred the ATH A500's over the ATH A700's - which sounded much brighter with exaggerated highs and lows, not as balanced as the A500's.
Is it the same story with the A900's? More expensive means more highs and lows?

Now the Denon AH-D2000's.
Placed nearer to the high-end could simply mean better sound or plain worse sound with the modest source and amp I use?
More details would be fine, but I don't want it at the cost of some fullness, fluidity, cohesion and warmth, which I get with the A500's.
Are my source and amp up the task giving the AH-D2000's what they want?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back