New ortho on the old block: Audeze LCD-1
Aug 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

sachu

Headphoneus Supremus
Well it was about time someone came up with a new headphone based on orthodynamic technology.

A tech used prevalently in the 70s and 80s and was eventually given up for more traditional dynamic drivers, with the exception of Fostex.

To us orthoheads who have been ardent followers of 80s vintage yamaha, fostex and a myriad other orthodynamic headphones have much to rejoice for and excited to be about.
This is the first real effort by a company to enter mainstream headphones with what clearly is a superior technology of drivers compared to traditional Dynamic drivers. And what a number these guys have did on this.

Audeze, a company mainly into speakers have blessed the headphone community with a great pair of headphones for a fantastic price. They have drawn largely from their speaker tech to produce these cans. The heart of the headphones is of course the brand new othodynamic drivers made of a special material with the traces of aluminum for the diaphragm suspended between strong neodymium magnets.

The stretching/damping of the diaphragms is well controlled on jigs on which diaphragms are stretched two at a time to get perfectly matched drivers. This stretching largely determines the sound quality.

The drivers are housed in foster phones which actually are not too bad considering the price that these are being sold at. I have been listening to them for about 6 hours now and they are comfortable as ever.

Cabling is Mogami with Neutrik NP3X-B jacks as standard.
smile.gif

Here are some pics..will replace these with better ones later tomorrow.

Impressions on sound quality to follow later.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 44
They are quite ugly... But lets see how they sound...

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 44
$400 + shipping

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it was about time someone came up with a new headphone based on orthodynamic technology.

A tech used prevalently in the 70s and 80s

Impressions on sound quality to follow later.

They certainly do look like they are designed for the 70's....a good retro look at that. its not as ugly as
floatsmile.png

It is the SQ that is important...tell us more sachu!

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
superior technology of drivers compared to traditional Dynamic drivers

I have my doubts if a technology where things "discharge" in the course of time can be regarded as superior. Or did I mix up something?

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my doubts if a technology where things "discharge" in the course of time can be regarded as superior. Or did I mix up something?

Yup you have mixed something up. There is no charging or discharging going on. Orthodynamic/Planar magnetic drivers work with a flat coil on a membrane, moving between two magnets.
Id think that its at least, if not more reliable than dynamic driver tech.

You are likely thinking of electrets or electrostatics.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 44
They actually look pretty good in person. Comfort was not great though, because they don't swivel side to side, and didn't seal super well on my big head. But that didn't seam to affect the sound in a bad way.

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$400 + shipping

Yep..that's about right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They certainly do look like they are designed for the 70's....a good retro look at that. its not as ugly as
floatsmile.png

It is the SQ that is important...tell us more sachu!

They are not the prettiest but Audeze could do better in this area. Though my girlfriend thought it looked cool and flashy (in a good way).
tongue.gif

Understand that these guys are great at making drivers.
This is a foster phone which they chose to test waters with. Thus far it seems to have worked. I have very favorable opinion on them for the most part. More detailed impressions to follow later today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bar magnets eh? Just like the Precide AMT drivers.

That foster frame HAS to go though.

I wonder if they have something in the works for a follow up headphone with a better housing. It definitely is a limiting factor in taking these drivers even further in performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They actually look pretty good in person. Comfort was not great though, because they don't swivel side to side, and didn't seal super well on my big head. But that didn't seam to affect the sound in a bad way.

They seal quite ok on my head but not as well as I would like. And I agree it doesn't seem to change the sound significantly if I press and hold the cups against my ears. I used them yesterday for a good 5 hours and thought they were quite comfortable and non-fatiguing which is major plus points.

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bar magnets eh? Just like the Precide AMT drivers.

That foster frame HAS to go though.

Same thing I thought when I saw picts. (About drivers).

The AMT are tempting but very pricey (got myself a precide ergo 2 but they are dynamic). [offtopic]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back