New Oriolus Stack - BD20 DAC, BA20 AMP, SE02 EQ, 1795 BT Receiver and more...
Aug 5, 2020 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 144

seamon

Headphoneus Supremus
Looks like Oriolus is launching some exciting new stuff

First is the Oriolus BD2 DAC
1.jpg
Looks like it has the ESS Sabre ES9038PRO DAC. It has 4.4mm BAL and 3.5mm Line Outs only so probably no dedicated amp? Comes with replaceable op-amps?

Next is the Oriolus BA20 AMP
2.jpg
Looks like a SS amp with replaceable op amps. They include opamps for you. 3.5mm/4.4mm to 3.5mm/4.4mm standard. 3 gain levels and it allows you to choose between internal battery and external Power. Seems to do 500mW at 32ohms?

Next is the Oriolus SE02 EQ
3.jpg
Straightforward 4.4mm EQ with Pass through option

Next is the Oriolus 1795 Reference BT Receiver
4.jpg
Not much into BT devices but has 2.5mm/3.5mm or 4.4mm/3.5mm versions. LDAC supported.

Another version is the Oriolus 1795D BT Receiver
5.jpg
This is meant to be paired with the BD20 as a BT Receiver.

Lastly is the age old Oriolus BA300s Tube Amp
6.jpg
This has been available for a while but I wanted to do a shout out to this little tube amp. This is one of the best portable tube amps on the market. Super transparent and adds a richness to the midrange characteristic of tubes. This punches way above its price range.

All devices except the BA300s have USB C input/charge.

Personally I AM HYPE!!!
I will probably do
Oriolus BD20 DAC -> 4.4mm to 4.4mm JPS Superconductor -> Oriolus BA300s Pre-Amp -> 4.4mm to 4.4mm JPS Superconductor -> Oriolus BA20 Amp -> JPS Superconductor for Diana -> Abyss Diana V2/Phi

I also plan to upgrade all opamps with Burson V5i.

I hope the BD20 and the BA20 give me as much SQ for my money as the BA300s gives me everytime I listen to it.
This might very well be my uber endgame transportable Headfi system.

Edit:
Looks like a new version of BA300s has been released with a USB C charge port
7.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 144
Love the BA300S too :beerchug: And I have actually googled for a physical portable equalizer since I sort of have a use case where I listen to a lot of Soundcloud and can't use the EQ of my DAP. So good to know there is at least something, thanks for the info. Though it "might" be kind of overkill in a portable setup and I would probably want more frequencies than the ones available there, it seems pretty basic compared to software equalizers :thinking:
But theoretically, would this work?:
DAP as source (in my case, Ibasso DX160 4.4.mm phone out) --> 4.4 to 4.4 interconnect --> BA300s --> 4.4 to 4.4 interconnect --> SE02 --> 4.4mm phone out to IEMs

Guess I could keep my eyes open for some reviews of these products :)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 144
I currently use the BA300S with DX220, and it's freaking amazing. Love the lushness it brings. Because of this, I still haven't found a reason to upgrade the DAP!

Excited about this range of products.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 144
Love the BA300S too :beerchug: And I have actually googled for a physical portable equalizer since I sort of have a use case where I listen to a lot of Soundcloud and can't use the EQ of my DAP. So good to know there is at least something, thanks for the info. Though it "might" be kind of overkill in a portable setup and I would probably want more frequencies than the ones available there, it seems pretty basic compared to software equalizers :thinking:
But theoretically, would this work?:
DAP as source (in my case, Ibasso DX160 4.4.mm phone out) --> 4.4 to 4.4 interconnect --> BA300s --> 4.4 to 4.4 interconnect --> SE02 --> 4.4mm phone out to IEMs

Guess I could keep my eyes open for some reviews of these products :)
Swap BA300s and SE02 and you are golden

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 144
I currently use the BA300S with DX220, and it's freaking amazing. Love the lushness it brings. Because of this, I still haven't found a reason to upgrade the DAP!

Excited about this range of products.
I have personally AB'd BA300s vs a Woo Audio WA11(I had both at one point) on a Abyss Diana V2 with a RME ADI 2 FS as the DAC. BA300s is the best portable amp below $1500 period.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 144
I have personally AB'd BA300s vs a Woo Audio WA11(I had both at one point) on a Abyss Diana V2 with a RME ADI 2 FS as the DAC. BA300s is the best portable amp below $1500 period.
I miss my RME, regret selling it. I might also do the stack like yours. Can you advise on a chain using DX220 as a transport? Might also use my phone sometimes.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 144
I miss my RME, regret selling it. I might also do the stack like yours. Can you advise on a chain using DX220 as a transport? Might also use my phone sometimes.
Sell it, get DX220Max and use a BA300s paired with it

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 144
Swap BA300s and SE02 and you are golden

Alright, I'm not experienced with audio connects. Anyway, in that case, the EQ would be "in the middle" and thus not really stackable on top of each other as you couldn't adjust the EQ? (edit: well, you could adjust before stacking) Though it's not a particularly portable setup anyway so they would probably be just laid out on a table in a hardcore nerd fashion :thinking: :grimacing:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 144
Alright, I'm not experienced with audio connects. Anyway, in that case, the EQ would be "in the middle" and thus not really stackable on top of each other as you couldn't adjust the EQ? Though it's not a particularly portable setup anyway so they would probably be just laid out on a table in a hardcore nerd fashion :thinking: :grimacing:
You can still physically put EQ on top

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 144
You can still physically put EQ on top

Ah right yes. Just listening with the BA300s right now so I can sort of picture it.

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 144
I have actually googled for a physical portable equalizer since I sort of have a use case where I listen to a lot of Soundcloud and can't use the EQ of my DAP. So good to know there is at least something, thanks for the info. Though it "might" be kind of overkill in a portable setup and I would probably want more frequencies than the ones available there, it seems pretty basic compared to software equalizers :thinking:

Been doing the same search for past 5 years. Sony made the SEQ-50 decades ago but used prices are far too high. Closest alternatives are few good (not great) amps with EQ like RHA's Dacamp L1 and Fiio's E17K (have both) but adding tubes means double-amping.

The SE-02 looks promising except for only balanced in/out and dual sliders per band; rather have single sliders. Should stack ok with my Oriolus BA-10 amp but neither of my balanced DAPs have balanced line-outs so trying to sort that. Wonder if the SE-02 also works with Oriolus' SE to 4.4mm cables like the BA300S?

Alright, I'm not experienced with audio connects. Anyway, in that case, the EQ would be "in the middle" and thus not really stackable on top of each other as you couldn't adjust the EQ? (edit: well, you could adjust before stacking) Though it's not a particularly portable setup anyway so they would probably be just laid out on a table in a hardcore nerd fashion :thinking: :grimacing:

Thinking I could stack with amp on bottom, SE-02 on top, and DAP along narrow side of both. Bulky, but functional.....

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 144
Looks like Oriolus is launching some exciting new stuff

First is the Oriolus BD2 DAC
1.jpg
Looks like it has the ESS Sabre ES9038PRO DAC. It has 4.4mm BAL and 3.5mm Line Outs only so probably no dedicated amp? Comes with replaceable op-amps?

Next is the Oriolus BA20 AMP
2.jpg
Looks like a SS amp with replaceable op amps. They include opamps for you. 3.5mm/4.4mm to 3.5mm/4.4mm standard. 3 gain levels and it allows you to choose between internal battery and external Power. Seems to do 500mW at 32ohms?

Next is the Oriolus SE02 EQ
3.jpg
Straightforward 4.4mm EQ with Pass through option

Next is the Oriolus 1795 Reference BT Receiver
4.jpg
Not much into BT devices but has 2.5mm/3.5mm or 4.4mm/3.5mm versions. LDAC supported.

Another version is the Oriolus 1795D BT Receiver
5.jpg
This is meant to be paired with the BD20 as a BT Receiver.

Lastly is the age old Oriolus BA300s Tube Amp
6.jpg
This has been available for a while but I wanted to do a shout out to this little tube amp. This is one of the best portable tube amps on the market. Super transparent and adds a richness to the midrange characteristic of tubes. This punches way above its price range.

All devices except the BA300s have USB C input/charge.

Personally I AM HYPE!!!
I will probably do
Oriolus BD20 DAC -> 4.4mm to 4.4mm JPS Superconductor -> Oriolus BA300s Pre-Amp -> 4.4mm to 4.4mm JPS Superconductor -> Oriolus BA20 Amp -> JPS Superconductor for Diana -> Abyss Diana V2/Phi

I also plan to upgrade all opamps with Burson V5i.

I hope the BD20 and the BA20 give me as much SQ for my money as the BA300s gives me everytime I listen to it.
This might very well be my uber endgame transportable Headfi system.

Edit:
Looks like a new version of BA300s has been released with a USB C charge port
7.jpg
Where can I see the new usb-c version? Was not able to find that spec mentioned in the link. These devices look interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back