New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
Sep 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #16 of 258
I guess the exciting thing is with units like the BDP-105 and the Cambridge 851C we are seeing some really well done combo units and now they are also taking Headphone seriously as well...

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #17 of 258
I just noticed that the Oppo-95 is the ONLY Stereophile Class A rated source component under $5K (most are over $10K), so being bested by an $89 player is terribly unlikely.  As for being kicked in the teeth by CA in terms of build quality, I wouldn't anything would kick a Rotel power supply or ES9018 SABRE 32-bit DACs in the teeth, but if so, it would most likely be one of those $20K esoteric players.

My only beef with the 95 was that, with the great DACs in it, they could only be used for discs...with the 3 digital inputs of the 105 they've just eliminated the need to buy a  $1000+ outboard DAC for your digital music files.  I don't own Oppo but I soon will...

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #18 of 258
Given that the price is supposed to be the same as the 95, the 105 could be an amazing value.

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 258
How do the PSU and DACs have anything to do with the build quality? :D

PSU, maybe, but the DACs don't make the player itself built better. 

Also, I'm pretty sure the 851 came out too late to be considered for the recommended components list of 2012. And either way...It's Stereophile. 

I'll say that the new unit looks fantastic though.

Quote:
I just noticed that the Oppo-95 is the ONLY Stereophile Class A rated source component under $5K (most are over $10K), so being bested by an $89 player is terribly unlikely.  As for being kicked in the teeth by CA in terms of build quality, I wouldn't anything would kick a Rotel power supply or ES9018 SABRE 32-bit DACs in the teeth, but if so, it would most likely be one of those $20K esoteric players.

My only beef with the 95 was that, with the great DACs in it, they could only be used for discs...with the 3 digital inputs of the 105 they've just eliminated the need to buy a  $1000+ outboard DAC for your digital music files.  I don't own Oppo but I soon will...

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #20 of 258
The 851 also has the pre-amp function. It'll be interesting to see what the release version of the 105 looks like.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #21 of 258
Just got this from the AVS forum. I think that's a very fair price increase over the 95 considering the new features.

New BDP-105 Only Features:
  1. Fanless (unlike the BDP-95)
  2. Headphone Amplifier
  3. Asynchronous USB DAC (24-bit192KHz)
  4. Optical, Digital Coaxial Input (24-bit/192KHz)
  5. Properly oriented XLR outputs
Price: $1199

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #22 of 258
I totally agree. And again...I could see owning one of these come a speaker rig.

Quote:
Just got this from the AVS forum. I think that's a very fair price increase over the 95 considering the new features.

New BDP-105 Only Features:
  1. Fanless (unlike the BDP-95)
  2. Headphone Amplifier
  3. Asynchronous USB DAC (24-bit192KHz)
  4. Optical, Digital Coaxial Input (24-bit/192KHz)
  5. Properly oriented XLR outputs
Price: $1199

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #23 of 258
Another great example of something I did not know I needed and now I do....Damn this hobby!  
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #24 of 258
Quote:
I gave examples before- NFB-12 DAC/Amp plus a $110 Panasonic BD player with Wifi. Yes the Oppo has a few extra ins/outs but what else does it do better than what I listed for $600-700 more?
I'm done- let the talk revolve around the Oppo now.

Your arguments are way off base. If the new oppo sounds like the 95, which is what's assumed here, then your arguments doesn't make any sense. The nfb-12 is a decent, but not great dac. It's even been trashed at other forums for not sounding as good as budget dacs that even cheaper than it. While the oppo(again assuming it sounds as good as the 95), is on par with other dacs in it's 1000.00 price range. It's like saying why buy a ferrari when a ford fusion can go just as fast. Huh???

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #25 of 258
It should be mentioned again that the only way to listen to a SACD properly is either to own a SACD player with good analog outputs or have a AVR with HDMI digital inputs that can process DSD. The Oppo fulfills both while offering a supposedly good DAC and balanced outs for active speakers, and having great stuff for video users as well. Moreover, it can be used as a computer DAC as well. IMO its a bargain for the price.

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #26 of 258
This is a great example of how a company listened to the voice of the customer, and delivered on something that people want.  I remember reading about features that the 95 lacked and the one I remembered the most was that it didn't have digital inputs.  Not only did Oppo add this feature, they've added a HP amp as well.  Given its reputation, I'm sure that it will be up to snuff as blu player, but I'm looking forward to reading about its functionality as a DAC/HP amp.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #27 of 258
 The -12 can't play DVD-A or HDCD or SACD or DTS, it can't stream, it doesn't play from a hard drive or a memory stick and I can't think of any other routinely discussed DAC that can play the above mentioned formats.  Listening to a concert on BD-audio or SACD in 7.1 DTS is pretty dam* nice too.
Quote:
I gave examples before- NFB-12 DAC/Amp plus a $110 Panasonic BD player with Wifi. Yes the Oppo has a few extra ins/outs but what else does it do better than what I listed for $600-700 more?
I'm done- let the talk revolve around the Oppo now.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #28 of 258
I have the 95 and had the 83SE

I may wait a couple of months AFTER the 105 is released and sell my 95 and get the new baby... this will allow me to eliminate some equipment and free up some room on my rack

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #29 of 258
Quote:

Though the lack of standard inputs was a let down, esp on the 95 it still significant options over 'only discs'.  It could play of memory sticks, usb hard drives, esata hard drives and could pick up multiple streamed audio sources, automatically picked up whatever the free windows 7 streaming feature was and read what was in your 'music' folder (which I never previoiusly used).

This is exciting news though and I can't wait to hear more.  Only I'm sure both units will be hampered by cimera, no iso playback and other studio forced limitations.  I read somewhere that the outputs (my oppo currently feeds an external DAC) will be limited - I don't remember the rate at all but it was something like 24/44 or 24/96. (note, I'm only talking about the digital outputs and not when using the internal DAC (which I'm guessing will still be a Saber32?)).

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #30 of 258
I don't disagree that this unit most likely sounds good, I'm saying you can get the same quality (IMO) and functionality for 1/3 the price

If I were. To wonder how you've managed to form an opinion as to the quality of a product that doesn't yet exist, would that make me a bad person? :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back