New Oppo BD-83SE and Nuforce Edition.
Nov 11, 2009 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

sillysally

Headphoneus Supremus
Nuforce has worked very closely with Oppo, in the development of Oppos audio boards. And the same is true for the Oppo BDP-83 SE audio board.

What Oppo and Nuforce have done with the development of this new audio board is to enhance the analog audio. Particularly the 2ch analog side. The audio board has been completely redone, using the ESS Technology’s state-of-the-art Sabre DAC and The stereo channels’ dedicated Sabre DAC is achieved by stacking four DACs per left and right channel for utmost transparency and dynamic range.

It seems that Nuforce SE boards are reworked at Nuforce's factory production line one batch at a time to ensure quality and testing.

From everything I have read this new BD-83SE Neforce Edition should be a audiophile grade CD/SACD/ DVD-A and most other audio formats also. And of course the BD-83 is a great DVD/BD player.
Nuforce has a special pre order until 11/18 of 10% off the total cost of the BDP-83SE Nuforce Edition and free FedEx home shipping.

I now have a Oppo BD-83 for both my Films and Music, plus I have add a Black Sand Violet V1 power cord to power my BD-83.

I should have my Nuforce Edition late next week so I will report back.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 69
It would be great if they could do something like that without the $$ BR. I could care less about video even if many of the longtime audiophiles are now 'videophiles' - seems like 'new toy' stuff as much as anything, I just love music personally
biggrin.gif
Stupid SACD and DVD-A and their stupid DRM -.-

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 69
There is an upgrade offer for both the SE and the Nuforce edition for buyers of the original BDP-83. The upgrade to SE is $100 cheaper than buying a new SE, but it's only valid in the US which sucks. I bought my player from Oppo directly because I have no local reseller. I'm going to contact them to tell them that, and hopefully I won't be left out in the cold on the upgrade.

Oppo upgrade option:

OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player

Nuforce upgrade option:

NuForce.com - High End Products - CD Player and Music Server

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 69
Interesting. It would have been nice if it had the balanced output...

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 69
Can someone help me understand the way SACD players work? My question revolves around whether all players maintain the integrity of the SACD data stream or if some players "downsample" the data stream. I don't know if I'm making sense, but I'm very interested in the Oppo 83SE. I just want to make sure that I'll be realizing the full benefit of the format. Like another poster, I'm most interested in the sound quality...the fact that it plays Blu-Ray is just a bonus.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 69
AFAIK, Oppo decodes the SACD itself and outputs to RCAs whether it's 2.0 or 7.1.

Basically, this "SE" ups the stereo/multi channel quality by using the latest Buffalo DAC along with buffed up Power Supply.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 69
For DRM purposes SACD and DVD-A are only able to output analog or output via HDMI to a DRM-capable device like a preprocessor or receiver, they cannot output raw digital, so there's really no 'data integrity' to talk about. It's about either analog output quality which it looks like this modification is about or the digital output quality which shouldn't have any issues. There are modifications that capture the raw digital data after it's been decoded to PCM from within players as it travels between chips which are perfectly legal (if you were to intercept a DRM'd stream and un-DRM it that would likely violate the DMCA) you just won't see manufacturers talking about them.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone help me understand the way SACD players work? My question revolves around whether all players maintain the integrity of the SACD data stream or if some players "downsample" the data stream. I don't know if I'm making sense, but I'm very interested in the Oppo 83SE. I just want to make sure that I'll be realizing the full benefit of the format. Like another poster, I'm most interested in the sound quality...the fact that it plays Blu-Ray is just a bonus.

If you are considering the SE version for multichannel audio, you should make sure that the receiver or pre/pro you are feeding the signal to does not do an A/D conversion on the inputs and another D/A conversion after or you will likely not be any better off than if you used HDMI on the standard BDP-83. For stereo listening this isn't as big of an issue.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are considering the SE version for multichannel audio, you should make sure that the receiver or pre/pro you are feeding the signal to does not do an A/D conversion on the inputs and another D/A conversion after or you will likely not be any better off than if you used HDMI on the standard BDP-83. For stereo listening this isn't as big of an issue.

Thanks for the warning. Alas, I am a two-channel guy all the way so it sounds like I'm in the clear!

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 69
It looks like it is just be a board swap which is pretty trivial since I see only two socketed connectors to the audio board. Are there any additional hardwired connections? The question is whether you'll be able to buy the board on its own.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 69
I asked how I could get the upgrade done in Canada, and this was their response:

"I'm sorry, but this upgrade it not available to Canadian customers."

Looks like I'm out of luck. That's a bit of a slap in the face; they were perfectly willing to sell me the unit a few months ago, but now I can't upgrade. Oppo as a company does a lot of things well but this is pretty weak.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #15 of 69
So if I'm primarily in the market for an SACD player do you think my $900 is better spent somewhere besides the Oppo? I'm not trying to thread-jack...just curious how people feel its SACD performance would compare to alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back