New Nuforce Headphone Amp
Oct 8, 2009 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just on the nuforce.com site looking at their IEM's and noticed that they have some new products coming next month. The Icon has always intrigued me because if could do a little of everything in a tiny, pretty package at a great price. The reviews of its DAC and in particular headphone amp kept me away. The new products look like they are going to address that.

Nuforce.com | Icon HDP

This new system is definitely more expensive at $399, but it also looks like they are really focusing on making a DAC/amp combo that will get some better reviews here. The power ratings are certainly far above what the Icon could do.

They also have broken the speaker amp into a separate box for $175.

Nuforce.com | Icon HDP

They also have a new USB Dac/headphone amp that doesn't run on batteries for $99. I am not sure how good the amp could be expected to be, but I wonder what level the DAC will be able to compete on. Also has coax and optical outputs.

Nuforce.com | Icon HDP

I couldn't get any pictures to load if there were any, but I would assume all of these would look pretty sharp if their past work is any indication. I can't wait.

I know I probably should have broken the 3 products out into separate posts, but I didn't want to feel like I was spamming. I searched this forum, but not others, so sorry if this is already old news.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 15
While asking Nuforce a couple questions relating IEM's, I mentioned that I was excited for the new DAC/amp. Jason @ Nuforce said it would look like the current Icon, which makes me happy, as it is one of the best looking amps to eyes (outside of pretty glowing tube amps). Can't wait to see if it is as good a value as the Icon.

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 15
I saw this tonight, I got really excited! I've been using the Icon Mobile every day since it's release - love it
smile.gif
it's a great companion to my MacBook Pro while on the move. The new Icon HDP looks promising, would be a great desktop "hub" for my AudioEngine speakers and my headphones... I'm glad that NuForce finally has gone all the way with support for 24/96
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 15
I have the Icon and like it a lot. But now there's a DAC/PRE-AMP version for $399? Yes, but it doesn't have the one really great feature of the Icon - a pre-amp out to run your subwoofer with.

At least I certainly don't see a 'sub-out' on the specs page.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 15
I see the 'amp' page lists a 'high quality analog volume control'.

So it's an integrated? Or they copied that page over from doing the dac/pre-amp page and forget to edit that out?

As I said I have the Icon and am not nuts about the 'use a separate hundred dollar box for real speaker cables' design. I thought they should create a new unit twice as big with decent speaker connectors right on it. I guess the 'pre-amp/amp' design is another way to get around that, and it makes a lot of sense, too. This could be a very nice unit.

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 15
Unless the specs are missing it, it looks like no more sub out. I kind of like the modularity of their stuff. You don't need to buy what you don't need, but they have stuff that matches nicely if you do want it. Sub-out doesn't matter too much to me, as this would be the hub of a desktop system for the office or bedroom and some full range bookshelf speakers should do nicely enough for me. If you got this unit for its headphone and dac upgrades, you could always output to an Icon for it's speaker and sub outputs, especially since you have one already. Looks like no matter how you slice it, to get regular binding posts, you will have to have a break out box for either the Icon or the Icon Amp.

Either way, I can't wait to see what they do. If they have really beefed up the quality of the DAC AND the headphone amp, I would drop $400 on this over something like a Compass any day. The new dac/preamp is supposed to be in the same case as the Icon, so super small and beautiful.

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 15
I hope they get a sub out until the release. It seams strange to ditch it as they have the W-1 subwoofer in the "Desktop" product range. Depending on how it turns out, I plan to get the new Icon pre-amp to use with my MBP and my AudioEngine A2 + NuForce W-1 desktop setup. Though the W-1 is connected to my A2's today, I'd like to use a sub out in future setups...

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw this tonight, I got really excited! I've been using the Icon Mobile every day since it's release - love it
smile.gif
it's a great companion to my MacBook Pro while on the move. The new Icon HDP looks promising, would be a great desktop "hub" for my AudioEngine speakers and my headphones... I'm glad that NuForce finally has gone all the way with support for 24/96
smile.gif

I really like mine too. It's a very good DAC, and the amp has good synergy with Grados.

I do wish, however, that it had a line output directly out of the DAC. The headphone out on it doesn't reamp particularly well. (Hint, hint. Any possibility of a new version with a line output for the same price?)

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 15
I think the uDac is what you are looking for. USB in (bus powered, not battery), has several different outputs, including headphone out and rca out. The headphone amp rates a little higher on power output so it seems like s uped up Icon mobile, just without the mobile. Probably be pretty small. $99 MSRP. Third link I listed in the OP.

The conjecture is almost more fun that seeing the real products released. Kind of like the draft in a sport holds as much anticipation and excitement as the actual games.

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 15
No pics yet, but Jason at Nuforce said the HDP would be in I think the same case as the Nuforce Icon. Release just says sometime in November.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm somewhat intrigued by this especially by the amp.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 15
I wonder if the speaker amp can drive a 120 ohm 74 db/mw K1000 better than the 12 watt Icon. Everyone says the K1000 need a speaker amp rated for about 20 watts. Hmmmm...

I knew about the high-end DAC a few months ago but was sworn to secrecy, but they never mentioned the 24 watt speaker amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back