new Nomad Zen firmware allows player-to-player transfers
Dec 29, 2002 at 12:33 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

I'm glad to learn that the Zen has browse features similar to the iPod. But, I read somewhere that the Zen can only access its music via playlists. If true, I would consider this a very major shortcoming. The iPod can play any selection on the fly.

What Happens on the Zen (if indeed it's the same as the NJB3) is that any song that is chosen to be played is automatically added to the current playlist. You can play any of the songs from any category you search for it in on the fly, and it will be added to the "now playing" menu as a result.

Quote:

It's also true that the Zen has both USB and Firewire ports. The iPod has only the latter, but why would anyone use USB when Firewire is available? For sometime now, all Macs--even the cheapest--have included Firewire.

Well there are still a lot of computers out there that don't have firewire, and the NJB3 or the Zen aren't Mac compatible. It's nice to have that flexibility. Just on a hunch if the ipod had a Usb option I'm pretty sure it would truly be "king of the world"

Spad you hit the nail on the head. What a great time it is today in the portable audio world.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Spad you hit the nail on the head. What a great time it is today in the portable audio world.
biggrin.gif

And isn't it amusing when some claim that we who use such equipment and listen to MP3s aren't "serious" about music? Or that it is foolish to use such gear with Etys (or better) headphones?

That still gives me gigglefits.
tongue.gif

Spad

Dec 29, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 19
I use Ety's with my Nomad Jukebox 3 and get excellent results.

I also use KSC-35's a lot and it's one of the few portables that can go LOUD with them without additional amplification.

I now spend about 95% of my time listening to music through the Jukebox rather than the original CD in my collection.

Dec 30, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #19 of 19
Just wondering, does either the Zen or iPod support UTF-8?

For example, could I display Japanese or Chinese characters on it?

(PS I also think it's great that you can charge the Zen through the USB port, that means I can charge it using school computers :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back