New Nano--FM radio decent?
Apr 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
My older Nano is starting to clip and have other problems so looking at the new Nano, or a refurbished previous generation. What might sell me on thenew one is the radio section. BUT--is the radio really any good?? I mean how's the reception?? Here in East Tennessee we've got mountains and valleys that make reception somewhat tricky so just wondering.

Will use it with Tomahawk amp so that should up the sound quality I would think.

Impressions please

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't think you can use the tomahawk with it; portable DAPs use the headphones as the antenna. Also, while a strong signal may sound *decent,* listening to fuzzy, sibilant (at least with my clip+ through my RE0s) music through precise phones does not make for easy listening.

If you're going to buy a nano, don't buy it on that alone. The reception may be better than the clip, but I suspect it's not night and day. Hopefully some nano owner will prove me wrong.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 7
Absolutely right,Semi, you can't use an amp with a player and listen to FM. I have a 5th gen Nano and a Sony A series that have FM capability and the Nano by far and away has the superior sound quality for FM play,to my ears,regardless of which of my IEM's i use. I can't yet comment on how reception is when you stray further from the signal. I've had my Nano since January and my first expedition away (30 miles) from local signals will be this coming weekend. I'll be in an area with hills and valleys as well. Hold that thought and if someone else can't help out before, maybe i'll have some more insight in a week.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by h20buzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely right,Semi, you can't use an amp with a player and listen to FM. I have a 5th gen Nano and a Sony A series that have FM capability and the Nano by far and away has the superior sound quality for FM play,to my ears,regardless of which of my IEM's i use. I can't yet comment on how reception is when you stray further from the signal. I've had my Nano since January and my first expedition away (30 miles) from local signals will be this coming weekend. I'll be in an area with hills and valleys as well. Hold that thought and if someone else can't help out before, maybe i'll have some more insight in a week.

Well, there you go. All I can say is the clip+ reception is no good for extended listening, or anything other than voice really. But that might have something to do with location. I'm glad to hear the nano is probably a bit better.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you can use the tomahawk with it; portable DAPs use the headphones as the antenna. Also, while a strong signal may sound *decent,* listening to fuzzy, sibilant (at least with my clip+ through my RE0s) music through precise phones does not make for easy listening.

If you're going to buy a nano, don't buy it on that alone. The reception may be better than the clip, but I suspect it's not night and day. Hopefully some nano owner will prove me wrong.

"headphones as the antenna?" So you mean I have to use Apple's earbuds and they act as antenna?? O WOW totally unacceptable if that's what yuou mean. And if that is the case, you're right: will buy older generation and say the heck with the FM

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"headphones as the antenna?" So you mean I have to use Apple's earbuds and they act as antenna?? O WOW totally unacceptable if that's what yuou mean. And if that is the case, you're right: will buy older generation and say the heck with the FM

No, not specifically Apple's earbuds...any earbuds,IEM's or 'phones you have plugged into the headphone jack will act as the antenna.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Of course it isn't limited to stock earbuds. You think anyone on these forums would ever bother with it as a feature if it was?
tongue.gif
No, any earphones are fine, but an amp will interfere unless the LOD/interconnect to the amp is relatively long and straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back