New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Oct 30, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #2,192 of 6,727
despite PCXs rep. for sometimes taking their time, I just got a shipping confirmation, so thats within 24hrs. Second time they've worked out quickly for me. I took you up on the PRP suggestion, Tom. Along with some tube sockets, cheap rca jacks, and 2x0.47 BGs. Will order some spare tubes sometime
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #2,193 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, very nice case indeed, prolly the nicest utilization of the stock Hammond case I've seen yet. How'd you make those rails? And that big hole in back? U using a machine shop?

hehe, thanks
icon10.gif

the hole in the back was simply made with my dads dremel substitute. I went through x2 cutting discs too. The surround rubber was some spare window trim that i use to cut and finish side windows on pc side panels, not glued or attached in anyway, the interference fit holds it in place well enough.

For the handle question, well that's already been answered
biggrin.gif
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The rails look like cabinet door handles from a hardware store possibly.

One problem i totally overlooked is the assembly and disassembly. the handles have their own M4 bolts that i trimmed down. But unfortunately my caps touch the top of the case and i totally forgot about the heads of the bolts. this means that if i want to take off the top, the pcb must come along with it. the same vise versa.

But by using large nylon sockets around where the tubes exit the chassis i can adjust the dB and tube bias voltages relatively easy with my jewlers screwdrivers. Plus i have drilled holes in the bottom of the chassis so i can read the voltages from the test points, but i do have to turn the chassis on its side. I couldn't use the tip jacks as the board is already in the bottom slot, and bunching them up around where the RCA sockets are would have been messy.

But the internal pics are much better than the external ones
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #2,194 of 6,727
Ok thanks Pabbi!
Thanks TomB!
Adffini, thats beautiful! Built like a tank! I think it needs a Hummer logo. :wink:

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #2,195 of 6,727
adfinni, that's one cool case for all the reasons stated above. I like the interconnects too. I took a look at your "how to" on the IC's. Nicely done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead
I think it needs a Hummer logo. :wink:

3000smile.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #2,196 of 6,727
Oct 31, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #2,197 of 6,727
The price is good smegger, but I think the 30VA rating is a little low for long life. I would go for something rated at 40VA. I think Ferrari could answer that better though.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #2,198 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In any case, I was about to checkout my order at MPJA when I read their international shipping policy. I have to order a minimum 100USD before shipping which is totally bunk. I only need about 20USD worth of stuff, but I can't exactly get it without an American address. Is there someone who's willing to purchase my stuff for me (after I send some dough through Paypal of course) and send it to my location? I think you may need an American billing address too, but we can talk about that if anyone is willing to do it for me. Pretty please?

Cherries, whipped cream and sprinkles included with pleading.

Bump. I of course will pay shipping both to your location and to mine.

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #2,199 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump. I of course will pay shipping both to your location and to mine.

what else do you need from them besides the walwart? Check this out... http://search.ebay.com/Class-2-Trans...MEFSRCHQ3aSRCH

Quote:

Originally Posted by smegger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just made the plunge and payed for my max kit!!! woo cant wait till it gets here
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

i have bought a toroid for it could someone check it will work ok?

http://onecall.farnell.com/jsp/searc...sp?SKU=4335041

same for you smegger

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #2,202 of 6,727
Pabbi, update: the second amp you sent was fine with your build. I biased both amps up to spec. The audio test was close to the first amp, very nice! :wink: I will try to get them shipped to you tomorrow. I think that you are on your way to some listening bliss real soon! I didn't have time to wire them in balanced configuration, so you will be first to hear them that way.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #2,203 of 6,727
OK - thanks for the pics, Joneeboi.

I would say that you need to re-do that LM317. It looks quite possible that the leads are not making good contact with the traces on the bottom. It's possible that one lead is not making contact at all, but it's hard to tell - that's sort of an indicator by itself (hard to tell). Depending on whether you've replaced this or re-soldered it any, the plating in the holes may or may not be there. So, it's important to get that thing down in the holes and soldered well. I know that's difficult with a fixed hole in the heat sink, but you can remove the LM317 entirely and solder "extensions" on the leads. Better yet, get a new one. Do they have Radio Shacks in Canada? You can get one there, although at a premium for $2.50. Or, I can send you another one in your walwart order. Just let me know.

You also need to use a proper insulating washer and keep that screw isolated from the metal tab. The heat sink is actually isolated from the ground plane in the PS, but there's no telling what may come in contact with the sink when you case it up or you are adjusting things.

I think if you get those two things fixed, it should solve a lot of your problems.

EDIT: One way to look at it is that the entire current flow for the entire amp goes through that voltage reg. It's important that it has good contact all around, and that it's insulated/isolated.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #2,204 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pabbi, update: the second amp you sent was fine with your build. I biased both amps up to spec. The audio test was close to the first amp, very nice! :wink: I will try to get them shipped to you tomorrow. I think that you are on your way to some listening bliss real soon! I didn't have time to wire them in balanced configuration, so you will be first to hear them that way.

Well, one outta two ain't bad... :)

I am so pumped, as I bit off more than I could chew this time... and, I can't wait to show the final working product. I was serious about you keeping and retaining / redistributing the 'spares' as you see fit, including the wallwart, which is useless to me. Oh, and I'll get the spare VitQ, and all the caps I can't use headed your way.

Again, without your help, this would be simply not have happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back